Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:45 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Build Log
Cambrian Messerschmitt Bf 109E

Hi guys,

I had been looking for a 1/9 scale Bf 109E but somehow ended up with this larger 1/6 scale version!!

It's the model pictured in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031543.

Designed for 61 to 80 two-strokes, it is 65" span. It can have either fixed gear or retracts, flaps are built as separate surfaces but not hinged, plan to modify these. The fuselage is balsa/ply formers and sheeting, veneered foam wings come ready routed for the gear and aileron servos and the tail surfaces are foam as well.

What's in the box? Quite a lot!!

Easier to post pictures of the major bits, there are two plan sheets and about six A4 pages of instructions.

Hope to start on the fuselage later today.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:47 PM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Looks like a nice kit Gary! I was looking around for one of these a while back, but couldn't find much on them. I presumed it had been discontinued I ended up ordering the plan & parts for the B.T. 109E instead, which will be my next build. I'll be watching with interest mate

Walts.
walts is offline Find More Posts by walts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:52 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Yes, it's a fairly nice kit, almost got one fuselage side structure done, will post later.

Cambrian are a low-key company, preferring to deal direct rather than supply shops, I suppose this keeps the price down. The 109 is on their website although it said 'out of stock' yesterday, perhaps I had the last one?!!

Cheers

Gary
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:06 PM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Yeah, I guess they're a bit like 'Warbird replicas' their kits are very similar. The guy that runs WR doesn't supply shops, his more of a cottage industry. Cambrian used to advertise in the model press, and I always liked the look of their 109, but when ever I have looked at their site it is always shown as out of stock, so I presumed it had been dropped,.....Should have phoned really A friend has one that is starting to look well used now,...which it is! He for some reason done his with no U/C. he uses a take off dolly and belly lands! But it does look very atmospheric in the air and flies really well! I think you are going to like this one a lot!
Hope the build goes well,
Walts.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:13 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Cheers Walts, it's going ok so far.

Got the basics of one fuselage side done, reminds me of the 'Keil Kraft Flying Scale' rubber powered series, just bigger!!

The formers are made out of a heavier version of Liteply, the same wood was in the Elan kit. I'm not sure how they were made, looks like they were cut by hand, some stringer slots needed opening a little with a file but that's it.

The forward formers hang in mid air until the stringers are added, Cambrian provide slotted balsa block jigs for them to sit on, quite clever.

Next step is to add the middle sections of sheeting then it comes off the board for the second side formers to be added.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:48 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
A little more progress.

Centre sheeting panel added (going to have fun doing the rest for sure!)

Fuse side turned over and supported with CD cases, quite awkward to hold at this stage.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:13 AM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Your speeding along nicely with it Gary!...I agree the rest of that sheeting looks challenging, looks to be quite thick sheeting!
I was a bit off in my comparison of the Cambrian kits to the Warbirds replicas kits. Your right, the Cambrian looks far more like the old KK kits just bigger The WR's kits, although they have the same veneered foam wings, also have veneered foam decking's for most fus parts too built around a central crutch, more similar to the old Aerotech kits

Walts.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:20 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Must have a closer look at WR, I did drop in to their website earlier and spotted the 109G, it's the 'E' version I like, don't know why exactly!!

Yep, 3 mm sheet (or 1/8" in old money), not looking forward to bending that at all. The sheets are pre cut but don't exactly line up how they are supposed to, have a feeling that I might have to use some filler in places.

Will post more piccies later, just about to start sheeting the second side.

Gary
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:52 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Plodding on

Moved the fuselage into my jig, very difficult to clamp because it's egg shaped but it does give a hint of correct alignment and makes it easier to work on.

A minor annoyance is that two pieces of the tank box appear to be missing, I've searched the box many times. No dramas as they are just 1/8" Liteply rectangles and I can knock some up (once I've been to the shop for some wood!).

I've got to the 'skinning the fuselage' stage, not keen at all about doing this but the instructions seem to be confident that it works. I've glued one edge of the top rear sheet (along the keel instead of the stringer as the instructions suggest) and thoroughly wetted it, doesn't seem to be curling much.

Fingers crossed!

PS: That idea did not work at all, just broke the top panel, no way it was going to bend round, will either plank it or try thinner sheet.
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Feb 03, 2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
12 Posts
Hi Gary -
One thing I have done in the past is to kinda "pre-curl" the pieces by thoroughly soaking the pieces in water and amonia, then while their still wet taping them around something thats curved like a big ole coffee can. I used a pvc drainage pipe once. Anything you can find thats round. When it dries it will have some curve to it. Makes things a little easier.
R985 is offline Find More Posts by R985
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:11 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Thanks, I thought about that. I think the idea would work but it needs the right wood selection, the provided panels were medium to hard and I knew in my heart that it was not going to work.

Luckily I've salvaged the structure with no damage, will scratch my head over this. I have a fair stock of my own balsa and will look for some soft 3/32" which will probably work, planking would add weight at the back end.

I've got an old book (Aeromodeller Annual) where they show how to make rolled balsa fuselage booms round a snooker cue, better read that again!!

GB
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:12 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Nice work so far Gary. Ive tried emailing Cambrian about getting a new cowl for mine, but havent heard back from them. Im not sure what to do now.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:50 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Cheers, I would give them a little while.

I planked the upper fuselage in the end, still got a bit to go and then have to tackle the lower side.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry I added the wing and tailplane leading and trailing edges and rough shaped them with a razor plane.

I joined the tailplane halves using the foam beds to keep things straight.

Cheers

Gary
Old Feb 05, 2010, 06:07 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Sorry, couldn't help myself!!

I threw the major parts together in the living room for some inspiration.

Surprisingly big when you see it assembled.

The sheeting is slowing me down, just need to 'power through' this part of the build.

Gary
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
416 Posts
I have this kit sitting in my basement, and never started it. Since i bought it, i've flown electrics, and have started to think of converting the model to a big brushless motor. The build looks pretty speedy. Does anyone have a flight report?
phoran is offline Find More Posts by phoran