HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:25 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Question
OSD Pro, eLogger V3, GPS V4 problems updating firmware in OSD Pro

Hello,

Maybe someone has run into this and can help me out.

I just received my new OSD Pro, eLogger V3, and GPS V4 today. The OSD Pro works OK as far as overlaying video. In other words, when I connect my camera, video tx, rx, and monitor, I see OSD Pro on the rx monitor.

But, when I connect the Data logging software to configure the layout of GPS, alt, etc. the software states it the OSD is disconnected.

Also, when looking at the rx monitor, the firware version does not display (but the words firmware version are there). The receiver is not detected (the words Receiver not detected display) even though I have connected the throttle (correctly) to the OSD Pro. The throttle will not work when connected to the PRO. It will work when I bypass the PRO.

I have gone through the trouble shooting which states:

1. Check the connections on the eLogger. I have the OSD Pro 4 pin connector plugged into the bottom port. That is, the LCD/TX. The RED wire is on the lower right hand corner. So, I believe it is connected correctly. In addition, when I power the eLogger with the USB connector, I still get the OSD Pro overlay mixed with the camera output and it displays on the rx monitor. Again, I think this confirms the cable is connected properly.

2. I am using version 8.03 Data logging software. When I connect the USB cable, the eLogger LED flashes 3 times, then hesitates, then flashes 3 times. So, it appears to be working correctly.

In addition, I was able to upgrade the firmware in the eLogger to 5.69. So, I think the USB cable is OK.

3. Lastly, the trouble shooting guide suggests I upgrade the OSD Pro firmware to the latest. Interesting....the software keeps saying the OSD Pro is disconnected...how do I upgrade the OSD Pro firmware when it thinks it is disconnected?

Anyway, that's where I am. Cannot connect the Data logging software to the OSD Pro.

I think something is wrong with the OSD Pro, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
jbfoamy is offline Find More Posts by jbfoamy
Last edited by jbfoamy; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:23 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
OK, double check that you have the data logger facing up (writing toward the sky), the OSD pro plugs in to the bottom row of connectors...on the face their are colored circles, make sure you wires match up.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:02 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
OK, double check that you have the data logger facing up (writing toward the sky), the OSD pro plugs in to the bottom row of connectors...on the face their are colored circles, make sure you wires match up.
Thank you, but I have double checked, quadruple checked,...and I am sure it's correctly plugged in.

If I knew how to post a picture here, I would add it, just to be sure I'm not overlooking something.

The GPS plugs into the top row of connectors. When I view Live Data, eventually the GPS is recognized and I have GPS coordinates. The USB plugs directly underneath. This works OK.

The OSD Pro plugs directly underneath that. The color code lines up correctly when compared to the wiring diagram on the decal.

While there is always that possibility, I am positive the connector is plugged correctly
Last edited by jbfoamy; Feb 02, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:53 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
click on "go advance", then you will see a bos that says "manage attachments" click on it and then click "browse" and find your pict on the your computer, select it and then hit "upload". After it uploads click "save" and then type your post and hit post...pict will be in your post.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Quote:
click on "go advance", then you will see a bos that says "manage attachments" click on it and then click "browse" and find your pict on the your computer, select it and then hit "upload". After it uploads click "save" and then type your post and hit post...pict will be in your post.
Thanks ATIS,

I really appreciate your help. I have added the pictures to the post above. I don't think I am missing anything, but let me know if I am.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:07 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
nope she looks good....lets try this...

turn on your FPV GS and laptop/computer and bring up the ET program...then connect the USB cord to the data logger (with the OSD and GPS connected), then plug in the USB cord to the laptop (do not power up the vTX or plane). Wait 30 seconds and try and update the OSD pro...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Quote:
nope she looks good....lets try this...

turn on your FPV GS and laptop/computer and bring up the ET program...then connect the USB cord to the data logger (with the OSD and GPS connected), then plug in the USB cord to the laptop (do not power up the vTX or plane). Wait 30 seconds and try and update the OSD pro...
I'll give this a try. Not sure I understand why the FPV GS (Ground Station?) should be on. In my case, I do not have a way to feed the output of the video camera to the monitor bypassing the vTx.

But, even though that is true, I still can test the idea of waiting 30 seconds to see if I can update the OSD Pro.

Thanks and I'll let you know what happens.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 01:25 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
My bust...thinking faster then typing...you can leave the GS turned off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:23 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Atis,

Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately, this did not work. Eagletree has contacted me and issued an RMA.

I have tried connecting the USB cable to a total of 4 different computers, all with the same result.

So, it looks like there is something wrong with one of the parts.

I'll be sending it back to them and we'll find out what it is.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:48 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
No problem, I hate the fact that she is not working for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
jbfoamy, sorry about this issue. It does sound like a hardware problem, and I'm anxious to see what it is. Both the eLogger's OSD port and the OSD's port are tested here before shipping, and this is not a USB issue (as you determined) since the eLogger is fully accessible. Will let you know what we find.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2010, 01:48 PM
Nothing but high quality
United States, CT, Glastonbury
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
I am having this exact problem, who should I contact to help? Will I be able to get a replacement?

Jon
Dadude is offline Find More Posts by Dadude
Old Feb 07, 2010, 01:38 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Jon, go the the eagle tree website and request a RMA number.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2010, 05:20 PM
Nothing but high quality
United States, CT, Glastonbury
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
I sent one yesterday, thanks

Jon
Dadude is offline Find More Posts by Dadude
Old Feb 08, 2010, 12:46 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
no problem, i had to return mine and the serive was fast, CS is great from Eagle Tree.
RCG Plus Member