HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2003, 06:25 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,559 Posts
Why does my Hornet have very little cyclic?

Actually, it has not flown but the disc does not seem to move much even with big swashplate movements. I tried to lift off a couple of times but it drifts and I cannot correct it. I thought this thing was supposed to be twitchy.
Thanks,
Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2003, 06:57 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
I'm not sure if you have a problem or not. First is the fixed pitch or CP. Every micro I've flown in FP would drift all over the place when it got light on the skids. You have to go ahead and "suck it up" and fly IMHO. Now my CP hornet is a different story. It lifts basically straight up. It will drift some but not near as much as the FP version.

BTW, have you tried holding the heli and moving cyclic when there is more than enough lift to fly? You should have a decent amount of forward/back and left/right "power" but not as much as you may think. There is a slight lag for the rotor to catch up to the cyclic motion due to flybar so maybe you are just not giving it enough time to react.

Try this and let us know.
John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old May 18, 2003, 08:00 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,559 Posts
John, it is a FP. I did hold it and there was some movement of fore/aft, left/right, it just did not seem like much though. Just go for it, heh?
Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
Old May 18, 2003, 11:59 PM
Westlake Village, California
Joined Mar 2003
57 Posts
The cyclic response on the ground versus in flight are two different things. On the ground when adding power for liftoff, there will be a sliding left tendency, due to tail rotor translating tendency. Once proficiency is gained, you can add right cyclic until it lifts off, then neutralize cyclic once it is the air. Until then, I recommend putting a small strip of balsa wood (about 1/8") under the left skid, tilting the mast right and countering translating tendency while on the ground. The helicopter will hover right skid low all the time and the balsa strip makes it sit right skid low on the ground.

The swashplate will move much more than the rotor disk will. This is normal. With the CG right at the mast, the swashplate should be level in pitch, and ever so slightly right in roll.

Hope that helps

Mike
mikeflyz is offline Find More Posts by mikeflyz
Old Nov 22, 2003, 02:19 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
932 Posts
Hi Mikeflz,

This is a great tip...my new ms hornet was sliding left on the ground..it stopped when I applied full right trim and full right stick.

It's late here but will try this and let you know how I do.

Best Regards,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong