Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:03 PM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
Discussion
Beagle E Pup

Here's some pics of an airplane i designed of the Beagle Pup. It has a small 35" span. Flys great. Have the option of building it with flaps. Mine was powered by a TowerPro 2410-12 and a 1000-1300 3 cell lipo.
I've put the plan file (dwf format) up on my website if anyone cares to build it.
I had my parts for this plane laser cut, i could provide a file for that purpose.

http://www.tjlewis1.rchomepage.com
canadagoose is offline Find More Posts by canadagoose
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:25 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Nicely done - no lack of room inside for a small model

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:36 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,252 Posts
Nice model of something a little different!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:45 PM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
Thanks, there is plenty of room inside for everything.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:16 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
That's a beautiful model. In the 70's I bought a single-channel Beagle Pup plan (think it was by Eric Fearnley) and my dad had a go at it. The compound curves of the cabin top proved tricky, as well as bending the piano wire u/c ALL the way around the ply dihedral brace; my dad hit it first time but swears he could never do it again . I also remember a few choice words being uttered by him as he tried to bend in the sides of the nose.

We never did actually fly the thing - don't think I really fancied it as a rudder-only model, despite the excessive dihedral of the plan. Always thought it was an attractive prototype though and you've done a great job on yours.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:41 AM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
This one is very easy to build. You'll still have to bend the balsa sheet around the cabin top but it's not anything real tricky. Here's a pic of the plans that can be down loaded. Thanks for the comps and story Redbaron25
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:50 AM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
People have asked me why i post dwf format files up instead of dxf or dwg files. They say that they can't do anything with them.
Well you can do a lot with them, DWF files can be used to print to paper whether at home or at a printers.
The cheapest way is to download the Autodesk DWF Viewer here

http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-DW...-10276414.html

It is a free utility that can be used to view and print dwf files. When printing, the program allows you to print the drawing at any scale as well as printing across multiple (tiled) sheets using your standard inkjet home printer. The sheets would then need to be joined like taping them together. This is easy and cheap. Unless someone has a CAD program that can print across multiple sheets then a DWG or DXF file is no good for that purpose although those files can be taken to a printer to have plotted. DWF's are also very accurate when printing to paper, something i haven't always found to be the case with pdf's.
The printers that i go to to have plans printed when i want a plan on a whole sheet is Universal Reproductions.

http://www.unirepro.com/CMS/index.php

Hope this explains my preference to DWF files. When someone just wants to print a plan out to paper and at any scale, dwf's work great.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:35 AM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagoose View Post
People have asked me why i post dwf format files up instead of dxf or dwg files. They say that they can't do anything with them.
Well you can do a lot with them, DWF files can be used to print to paper whether at home or at a printers.
The cheapest way is to download the Autodesk DWF Viewer here

http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-DW...-10276414.html

It is a free utility that can be used to view and print dwf files. When printing, the program allows you to print the drawing at any scale as well as printing across multiple (tiled) sheets using your standard inkjet home printer. The sheets would then need to be joined like taping them together. This is easy and cheap. Unless someone has a CAD program that can print across multiple sheets then a DWG or DXF file is no good for that purpose although those files can be taken to a printer to have plotted. DWF's are also very accurate when printing to paper, something i haven't always found to be the case with pdf's.
The printers that i go to to have plans printed when i want a plan on a whole sheet is Universal Reproductions.

http://www.unirepro.com/CMS/index.php

Hope this explains my preference to DWF files. When someone just wants to print a plan out to paper and at any scale, dwf's work great.
I've also found AutoDesk's DWG TrueView to work as well (also for dwf). Free download to.
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:46 AM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
Thanks etotheo, i'm going to check that one out.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:19 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
565 Posts
CANADAGOOSE; thanks for the plans - superb. This one is on the list for sure. I seem to remember a similar design years ago and a similar one for a Cherokee both for single channel. I always fancied them but my single channel flying wasnt up to much. I eventually mastered it with a slope soarer but never did build the Beagle or Cherokee.

Where did you get the laser cutting done? do they still have the files and can they do more?

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:28 AM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
Thanks Mark Winstanley, I had the laser cutting done by AK Models, the dwg cutting file is setup for them. Other laser cutters could to but it seems they all want the files setup a little different (line colors, etc). You will have to send the cutting file (that can be downloaded) to them.
Have fun building!
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:56 PM
Sparwood, BC
Joined Dec 2003
191 Posts
For anyone that tried to download files using Internet Explorer i guess there was a problem trying to download them. I use Firefox so didn't know of it until i tried with that browser. Problem is fixed now, sorry. I also included two cut files in the beaglepupcuttingfile zip. One set up for Laser Lizzard and the other for AK Models.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:39 AM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Canadagoose I am looking forward to more information on your Beagle Pup this winter. I think the Pup is a very attractive plane Of course I am partial to low wing aircraft anyway.

Thank you for a fantastic plan and possibly another build thread on it this winter.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:15 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,347 Posts
It's a wonderful looking plane with a bright orange prop. Isn't there anyone out there that makes similar size props in a color other than orange?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:25 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
nice ! gotta love the Beagles
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle