HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2003, 05:09 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Hand Launch Glider Plans

Hello,
I am getting into the Sailplan/HLG side of RC flight now. I am looking to build a good HLG out of Fan Fold Foam, or Balsa. So, I was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to post a copy of a set of plans for a good HLG. Thanx -Patrick

PS- Anyone else, please feel free to post other HLG plans here. I am sure someone will gladly download them, and build a fun airplane.
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2003, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
Check out my thread

Foam HLG thread
I have been your route. I started on the foamie site. One night I got bored and decided I wanted a HLG to play around with my kids. The first one was completely TLAR'd. Check out the picture. I scavenged a v-tail boom off of a Swallow. The fuse is nothing more than an upside-down U of foam taped together at the bottom. The length was set by building a long fuse then placing the gear with the battey in the front for CG balance then choppping off the rest. Servos held in place with zip ties. The wing is 48". I started with about 12-14 inches (don't remember) then I folded about 3 inches underneath and then hand formed some undercamber about where the folded edge meets underneath. I held it together with packing tape and then taped in a 36" wood dowel at the same place for strength. The ailerons were and after thougt. No idead of its weight. Electronics are HS-55s and a 270mAh pack. I have beat the dickens out of this bird. Having no other glider to compare to I think it flies great. I took it the other day in some stronger winds and had a blast! I think I have finally killed it though. I have already started on version F3HLG v2.0 I picked up some carbonfiber rods from a local archer shop used for $2 apiece. I have a cruciform tail now and will build a more stable fuse and wing. I am trying to decide on flat, dihedral, or poly hedral and if I can incorporate DLG capabilities. I also picked up some huge rubber bands (50' worth) and will be toying with a primitive high start. I love this.

Also skip over to the Sailplanes section and browse the HLG site.
smaxwell is offline Find More Posts by smaxwell
Last edited by smaxwell; May 18, 2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 18, 2003, 07:19 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Why not just go to the local Farm and Home(Ace Hardware) and buy 50 feet of that latex tubing. That will work better for the high-start. Also, when you went and flew it in the higher winds, did you just throw it into the wind? How didnt it just get flipped over, and crash> -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
Old May 19, 2003, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
Throw into the wind. If you throw at about 30 degrees to the horizon you will be fine unless the wind is really strong. I did do a couple of double loops by throwing it as straight up as I could with up elevator added. But getting fliped is not a problem unless you really throw it wrong.
smaxwell is offline Find More Posts by smaxwell
Old May 19, 2003, 01:34 PM
Hillsboro, OR
Joined Sep 2001
62 Posts
Try:

Terminator - http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm

Davy - http://www.geocities.com/rc_eflyer/davy.html

Soarcerer/Aspen Leaf - http://www.jmccconsulting.com/rmsa/index.htm

Cheers,

Jay
jhopkins is offline Find More Posts by jhopkins