HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 12:36 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Discussion
Apache AH-64 500 size

Hi,

Needed some advise from the experience scale flier here.

I have order an 500size AH-64 from SF, so I'm not sure so is my stock Trex 500ESP kit is good enough for the job ?

The objective is to start the scale project by re-using the current component that I have on hand(saving cost as wife is nagging).

Currently I'm using a 6S battery with the stock 60BL ESC, 1600KV motor, external BEC with 12T pinion gear. For start I'll start with 2 bladed while saving $$ for the 4 bladed rotor head.

What are the component needed to be changed or upgraded in my case ? FYI, this is my first scale project and I'm beginner in heli flying
hagenuk is offline Find More Posts by hagenuk
Last edited by hagenuk; Feb 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Rename the Topic to reflect the objective of this thread.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagenuk View Post
Hi,

Needed some advise from the experience scale flier here.

I have order an 500size AH-64 from SF, so I'm not sure so is my stock Trex 500ESP kit is good enough for the job ?

The objective is to start the scale project by re-using the current component that I have on hand(saving cost as wife is nagging).

Currently I'm using a 6S battery with the stock 60BL ESC, 1600KV motor, external BEC with 12T pinion gear. For start I'll start with 2 bladed while saving $$ for the 4 bladed rotor head.

What are the component needed to be changed or upgraded in my case ? FYI, this is my first scale project and I'm beginner in heli flying
Who's SF? I too have a 500 size Apache on pre -order. It's from Skyhunter. I'm wondering what I'll need to upgrade also. Once in the new fuse I plan on going with the scale head and tail rotor. I don't want to bite off too much right off the bat.
Mike
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:16 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
Who's SF? I too have a 500 size Apache on pre -order. It's from Skyhunter. I'm wondering what I'll need to upgrade also. Once in the new fuse I plan on going with the scale head and tail rotor. I don't want to bite off too much right off the bat.
Mike
Mike
Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that you are also waiting for your 500size AH-64.

I'm referring to ScaleFlying.com (SF) I'm also on pre-order and expected to ship on Monday. I'm a newbie in heli and this is also my first scale so I know nothing
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:24 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagenuk View Post
Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that you are also waiting for your 500size AH-64.

I'm referring to ScaleFlying.com (SF) I'm also on pre-order and expected to ship on Monday. I'm a newbie in heli and this is also my first scale so I know nothing
I'm looking froward to your to your build. Maybe we can pick one another's brain on this. My latest correspondence with Skyhunter is that they should be shipping the Apache this month. I've done one other conversion my T Rex 450 to a Hughes Defender. Nothing major it was a drop in fit. Post some pictures when yours arrives. I'm very interested to see just how these look.
Mike
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:45 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,183 Posts
Just a remain , you must have a belt version mechanic .it is only suitable for belt drive .
kin is online now Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:35 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
Just a remain , you must have a belt version mechanic .it is only suitable for belt drive .
Yea I realize that thanks.
Mike
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:41 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder KIN.

Meanwhile do you have any comments on the power system such as the ESC / Battery and motor ?

I'm hopping to use back all my existing 6S lipo pack...
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:46 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,183 Posts
How many main blades you use ? 2 ?4 piece main blades ?
kin is online now Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:16 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
How many main blades you use ? 2 ?4 piece main blades ?
I'm intending to go with 4 blade now. I also have ordered the scale blade.

Appreciate your advise.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:12 PM
Scale Masters
36 thousand feet
Joined Oct 2004
11 Posts
recomendation is 1200kv with a 13 tooth. The apache is quite a fuse but with all the weapons and landing gear, it tends to be on the heavy side. Its just the nature of the beast. In the video on RCAerodyne's site it shows a stock 500 but with a 2 blade and higher head speed.
Kaltag is offline Find More Posts by Kaltag
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
AH-64 500 size un-boxing disppointment..

Just received mine AH-64 from Aerodyne, initially was very happy when i'm the way home from the post office.

But was sad and disappointed when the un-boxed due to the damage to the fuse during shipping....

Otherwise a nice fuse to start building for the coming long holiday where i'm from.[/B][/COLOR]

Lastly there wasn't any basic instructions or parts listing which is good to have otherwise I won't know what is missing from the shipment ........

Got to start email to their tech support soon.....
Last edited by hagenuk; Feb 22, 2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Deleted the photos which is not the main purpose of this thread..
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Contact him and see what he says. I'm sure he'll work it out with you I've heard great things about them ( but you know how that goes). I'm still on hold as far as mine from Skyhunter the site says shipping out sometime this month. Keep me posted on your build and results from RCAreodyne.
Mike
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,759 Posts
It looks like it got thrown around pretty good, was there any packaging (airbags, bubble wrap, foam wrap, newspaper, etc.) wraping and keeping parts from crashing with eachother? I was thinking of looking in to getting one ,but $385.00 is to much to pay for a smashed-up fuselage, yes keep us posted.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
It looks like it got thrown around pretty good, was there any packaging (airbags, bubble wrap, foam wrap, newspaper, etc.) wraping and keeping parts from crashing with eachother? I was thinking of looking in to getting one ,but $385.00 is to much to pay for a smashed-up fuselage, yes keep us posted.
Nope, the only plastic bags are the smaller parts as shown in the photos .....there wasn't any bubble wrap or newspaper to cushion any impact.

The moment I got the box from the post office, I've got the bad feeling with the packaging box. I can hear all the loose parts while walking home.

It was just loosely strapped with cellophane tape on the two end, and I can even just slide my hand into the box to feel the fuse....so I won't be surprise that smaller parts or screws could have slip out of the box.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:12 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,039 Posts
Was it dropped shipped from China? I saw a customs label on the box.
Mike