SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:52 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Help!
Calling all Charger Gurus: Need help choosing a new charger

I have happily used an Orbit Microlader as my primary charger for the past 8 years or so. Unfortunately, I managed to drop it on the floor this evening, and it appears that I have killed it dead as a doornail. It has been so dependable for all these years that I have been completely out of touch with new developments in the battery charging world, so I would be happy for whatever advice anyone can offer as to a good replacement.

I need to be able to charge up to 6S packs, I am willing to pay for something that is high quality, and I, of course, want something that is as safe as possible. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
I would reccomend the iCharger 206B and PS350 power supply from David at http://www.progressiverc.com for 20 amps and 300 watts.

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:10 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
208 Posts
there are quite a few good quality and effective chargers out there . search with the following names and then google the ones that interest you and see if they have features you like or dislike?
xtrema, bantam, junsi, hyperion, cellpro
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:19 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, gentlemen. I will investigate your recommendations.

Neil
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:25 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Thanks for the quick response, gentlemen. I will investigate your recommendations.

Neil
Check Thunder AC6 at Hobbypartz
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 01, 2010, 01:55 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
Send the charger to Dave at Radical RC for repair.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:07 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
I am going to look into the possibility of a repair, but I figured this might be an opportunity for an upgrade to a charger that actively ballances and allows charging at higher than 1C or gives me the option of charging more than one pack at a time.

Neil
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:01 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Yep, love my old Orbit and Schulze as well, but they lose out every time to the more modern models I have on hand that offer more power, greater convenience/safety (integrated balancing), and added flexibility. Currently my iChargers are getting all the work and a few Schulzes, an Orbit, and a Hobbico will find their way to the chopping block soon. Oh but will miss the mods I did to them including the negative OLED backlit screens.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:06 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
I am going to look into the possibility of a repair, but I figured this might be an opportunity for an upgrade to a charger that actively ballances and allows charging at higher than 1C or gives me the option of charging more than one pack at a time.

Neil

remember that most, if not all chargers (intelligent) will allow you to charge up to whatever the battery and the charger is capable of.

So if you have a 2200mAh pack. A 1C charge rate is 2.2amps.
You can always dial up the amps to 4.4amps to get a 2c charge rate...and so on..
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:20 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,139 Posts
Havoc:

I'm no expert on chargers (obviously), but my understanding is that it is not good for your packs to charge a greater than 1C unless the charger is set up to "actively balance" the pack during the charge (as opposed to having a separate "passive" balancer hooked up to the pack during the charge). The Orbit does not have an "active" balancing option.

Neil