HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,184 Posts
Build Log
Double Sized Tiger Shark Delta, flight video on page 10

I'm pretty sure a lot of you are familiar with the Gaui Tigershark Delta that was one of the fast foamies. I had a couple of them (RIP) and other than it being a pain to launch they were a blast to fly.

I've decided to scratch build one around one of the 100 mm fans available from Easy Tiger Models (or Nitro Planes). With a Scorpion HK 3026-1400 on 8s thay make about 2200 watts at a reasonable amp draw.
A friend of mine that still had a Gaui intact was kind enough to shoot a bunch of pix for me so I'd have something to go by. This one will be approximately a 200% version complete with Robart retracts. A piece of 3/4" bluecore foam will be used for the wing core but that's about as close to "foamie" as it will get. I'm already about a week into the build but having computer problems so will be posting multiple short posts to catch up.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: modified title
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:48 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,184 Posts
Day 2

1/28/10:
With most of the wing done except for shaping leading and trailing edges before sheeting started procrastinating and jumped over to making the fan former.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:49 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Very cool Bil. That jet was a mover for sure. I (sincerely) hope that yours is as fast as the little guys. I would expect in the 150's at least. You may need more than 2200w though. Good luck with it.
Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:05 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,184 Posts
Thanks Gary. I'm hoping to come in around 8 lbs with it and sizing the exhaust mostly for high efflux. From 4" down to 3 or 3-1/4" at the end of the tube. That fan pushed my 8 pound Easy Tiger F-86 to about 110 with no problem. That was with fixed gear "down n dirty" too.
Think I'm done for the night though. I need some 1/64" ply to form the inlet bevels before going much further.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,329 Posts
VERY cool Bill,should be a great flyer like it's little brother
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:02 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Your pretty fast with that woodwork. 8lbs? Seems a little heavy. What are you running for batts? 8s, 5000mAh ?
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:34 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Bill,,, looking great!!! WILL be watching this close! Did fly my little Delta a couple of days ago.. Fast and really smooooth when there is no wind blowing.. I'ts a cool little plane, hope your big one is even better! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:52 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,184 Posts
Thanks Kyle hoping it will be a good one when it's done myself.

Gary the woodwork is ALL we used to do in the good(?) old days when there were no ARF's around, so I have a little experience there. I already had in my head what needed to be done for the tail cone and fan, too. Things will probably slow down a bit now since I have to figure out how to arrange the forward section and mate it to the back. On weight, it seems like I always come in a pound or so heavier than my initial guess so just went ahead and added a couple of pounds to it this time. It will be running 8s but probably only 3600's since the fan only pulls about 65 amps at WOT.

Hiya Walt & thanks for the pics. They have been very helpful to say the least. In response to your email, What plans? I'm just making it up as I go along. I will be re-creating the finished smaller components on card stock as templates for you though. Once I get them all worked out will scan and put them up as a pdf. One thing should be for sure on this one. It will eliminate that scary hand launch of the original.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:27 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post

Hiya Walt & thanks for the pics. They have been very helpful to say the least. In response to your email, What plans? I'm just making it up as I go along. I will be re-creating the finished smaller components on card stock as templates for you though. Once I get them all worked out will scan and put them up as a pdf. One thing should be for sure on this one. It will eliminate that scary hand launch of the original.
Thanks Bill!!! (I hate hand launches)!! w.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:00 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
NICE!
I just might have to do something like this... scored a dynamically balance 90mm Wemo at AZ E-Fest! I'm thinking around 3Kw or more...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
NICE!
I just might have to do something like this... scored a dynamically balance 90mm Wemo at AZ E-Fest! I'm thinking around 3Kw or more...

Vic
weve been running them to 4kw....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:42 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,184 Posts
Day 4

Looks like there's a couple of new folks in the audience. Hi Vic & CN

Today hasn't really gone all that well. At least it started off bad. I planned to re-draw all the formers I installed yesterday as a 1st priority. That way the mods I made to the originals duriing installation would be fresh in my head.
So I sat down after breakfast with some fresh paper and as soon as I placed the compass on it, the compass broke. I'd been planning to get a better one but that was an inconvenience since there's nothing open at that hour of the morning where I could get one.
I had a couple of hours to kill so decided to start shaping the wing. Laid a 2" strip of painters tape along my sand line and shaped one side of the trailing edge. Moved to the other side and shaped it. Things were going pretty good so taped a leading edge and shaped it. Started to pull another strip of tape for the other side and wound up with about a 9" piece since it hit the end of the roll. again.
By now it was about 10:30 so took of to Lowes and found myself a compass, more 2" masking tape and a couple of other odds n ends that I thought might be useful. After getting home I did re-draw the pieces before going back to finish shaping the other leading edge. Decided to sheet the top before shaping the bottom so dug into my balsa stock. (I was prepared for this and just had got in a couple of bundles of 1/16" from Tower). What I wasn't ready for was finding my spray can of 3m 77 empty. Why I put it back in the drawer that way I don't know.
It was pretty close to lunch so took another road trip and picked up a fresh can. Stopped by the bell and grabbed a chicken taco salad, then went back to work. The top side is now sheeted and I'm calling it quits for the day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:44 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks good Bill! Glad to hear you invested in that new compass and got those formers drawn Need to get some ambition and get back on my F16, that has been a problem lately it seems.... w.