HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mera'din, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Cool
Blase MSR travel case

I finally finished a travel case for my MSR. I went to a home center, Menards, and picked up a tool case for 20 bucks. The top lid had a nice tool organizer which I promptly tossed into the trash. When I was younger (last month) I would have kept it for a future possible project but as my bench is getting quit clutter I just got rid of it right away.
I had some egg shell foam left over from a previous project to line the lid (maybe saving stuff is good). The foam that came with the case was pre cut into little squares that you pull out to form the shape you desire. I made cutouts for my MSR, a few spare parts, my Futaba 10C transmitter with a Spektrum modual, the charger, power adaptor, neck Strap, and batteries.

Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Nice Case!!!

Mera'din,

Nice case! It looks like it could also hold 2 transmitters with a little room to spare. Almost bought a couple of cases this week on 1saleaday.com (See Hot Online Deals Section) that could hold a single transmitter but want the double transmitter type case even if I only put a single transmitter in it. No Menards around here but I have heard Harbor Freight has a similar case. I think I have found something to waste some time on this weekend. Thanks for sharing your case.

Jim
eye4rc is offline Find More Posts by eye4rc
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
Would you do me a favor and tell me the dimensions on that case buddy? thanks -joe

and btw I think the way you put it together looks awesome.
joefear7 is offline Find More Posts by joefear7
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
what do you use to cut the foam? The nice cut out for the blade, is it done in layers?
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
Allen, Texas
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcar4 View Post
what do you use to cut the foam? The nice cut out for the blade, is it done in layers?
I believe the foam is in 1 inch (or so) cubes that are somewhat attached to each other and you just remove those cubes that you need to make the outline you need. If you look at the photo and use your imagination, you can start to see the individual cubes. The only problem might be trying to put the cubes back together if you want a different outline.

Jim
eye4rc is offline Find More Posts by eye4rc
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
The foam is pre cut with a small strip holding them together on each side of the piece. The foam itself is about 4 inches or so thick. You can just pull apart the pieces to make the appropriate size cutout. When you remove the cutout you can cut the piece that you remove to the height you need and then put it back in for various depths.

For the actual MSR opening I wanted a more precise fit so I decided to not use the precut squares but rather my own shape.

I first traced the msr with a sharpie and added about 1/8" on all dimensions as I cut. I used a new xacto blade to make the first cut and then a box cutter to cut the rest of the way through. You MUST use new sharp blades here as a used blade will pull the foam as you cut and tear or separate the precut foam. I even spray a rag with WD40 and wipe the blade before each cut to aid in making very neat cuts.

After I had the cutout removed I cut it in half and put it back in so the relief wasn't so deep. Since the heli isn't flat I used the cutout to make varying height inserts to build up the foam inside the relief so the MRS had a nice bed of foam to rest on.

The same technique can be used for anything you want to store.

The dimensions for the case are about 18" x 12-3/4" x 6" if I remember right. I'll take some better ones. Do you want interior or exterior?

I will also try and get some more detailed phots of the foam cutouts,
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:40 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,571 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but you can find an almost identical (99.9%) case, including the throw-it-out-the-door-tool-holder, from Harbor Freight for 30 bucks. 1/2" pre-cut squares on the bottom with egg crate on the top and the tool holder behind the egg-crate foam. 4" of foam on the bottom and 1.5" on the top. Double latch with a key. Will hold 2 ea. DX7 tx's with the charge units. Sure beats buying a cough cough help-me-Lord Spektrum case for $60.00. The HF case is an inch wider and longer inside but .75" less deep. I've been packing mine around for a year now and it's still together just fine. Your price sure beats HF but we don't have Menards around here.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Yeah, I looked at the Harbor Freight cases as they came with the foam on the top. When I had some extra foam sitting around I decided to get the one from the local store. So the ones from HR are a little wider? Good to know. I actually need it to be as deep as possible as the antenna sticks out the back on my radio due to the modual. The only thing that is nice about the spektrum case and even the case you can get from HobbyKing is the precut sections for the radios. The description on HF case only lists the bottom foam as 2 inches so that is also nice to hear it is thicker. The one I purchased also came with the tool dividers which I tossed as well as the tool holder for the lid.

As far as a Menards goes, I have also seen them at Lowes and Home Depot for around the same price.

Here are some pictures of the foam cutout and the different layers that the MSR sits on. They disn't turn out very well as the foam just blends together.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:20 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Mera'din thanks for the tips!
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4