HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:23 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Discussion
Post your airplane photos

Here is a EP 920mm CAP232 I am working on. I put some oversize wheels on it that will hopefully will work on our turf runway. Have not got a motor yet but am considering the SuperTigre .10.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:25 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
While I am at it, here is my slightly battered version of the combat wing. It flies great! At only 340g without battery the little 140W 1650Kv motor gives it plenty of power for vertical climbs. Notice the foam cover I made for the electronics.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2007
19 Posts
Jenny

Here is a little foam Jenny I put together last year and still haven't had inthe air
HRice is offline Find More Posts by HRice
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Here is my Scat Cat 500

This model has been the most versatile and favorite plane I have ever owned. This being my 2nd one, the first nicknamed "9-Lives" survived 8 crashes and bit it on the 9th. I am running a GMS .32 and should be putting a tuned pipe on it someday. I also would like to upgrade to a Rossi, JET, etc. engine someday.
sceptre5276 is offline Find More Posts by sceptre5276
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:04 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
My little Gee Bee

I was on Ebay one day and ran across this ARF for about $20. I was skeptical but the reviews were good. The plane is about 32" span and has a Turnigy 42xx motor in it. The fuselage is fiberglass and the rest is built-up construction. I was very impressed for the price and we will see this season if it can fly.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:07 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Hand-Launch Glider

I used to be an active participant in both indoor and outdoor aircraft of the hand launch and rubber band powered variety. These little HL Gliders are great on a hot summer's day with plenty of thermal. In 1995, I designed this model and flew it at the National Indoor Championships and placed 3rd in junior class. I believe it was up a little over 3:30. Although this is not the exact same model, it is a faithful reproduction of my original design.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Foam is new to me

After my first meeting with the club, I was inspired to try my hand with Dollar Tree foam board. Here are two of my creations. The first being the Combat wing that Hal handed out plans for. I have not painted it yet.

The second is based off of a free plan download and some inginuity of my own. The Edge flew well in heavy wind and I am waiting to get it up again on a calmer day. It has a 2214 1500kV, 30A ESC, salvaged micro servos and a nice dose of Sharpie marker colors scheme.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
My FIRST Gasser

I always wanted a big gas plane. Now that I am old enough to afford one I went for it. This is a 25% GP Patty Wagstaff Extra.

DLE 55 w/J'Tec Pitts muffler
Futaba 7C FASST
S3050 metal gear digital servos
Scratch built Carbon Fiber cockpit
Smoke system under development now
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
My newest addition (under construction)

As I still re-entering the hobby from several years away, I have to build up my collection. I was reading some magazines the other day and happened across a new style plane that I had not heard of before but liked. They are called Hotliners (hi-speed aerobatic glider).

I used to fly glider alot thought it was a cool idea. So, what did I do? I ran out and bought one.

Great Planes Siren. (yes, this is actually a warmliner) but I am new to the division.

I am currently building this plane and will be putting around 500-600W of power in the nose. (The plans say not to go over 500W, but I did some extra reinforcing with carbon fiber and such)

The unfortunate side of this plane is the 400' height limit at the field, but I have a nice size field next to my house and this plane would be a good candidate to fly here too.

If you are unfamiliar with Hotliners, check out youtube. These things can reach over 200mph and are often entirely carbon fiber with upwards of 2000+W and can be VERY expensive. (The Siren is entry level and only about $150)

Zahir 5 EE Fimex/Enigma F5b (2 min 40 sec)

Raketenwurm StratAir RC Fly rc action Hotliner (3 min 46 sec)
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:24 AM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranandar View Post
While I am at it, here is my slightly battered version of the combat wing. It flies great! At only 340g without battery the little 140W 1650Kv motor gives it plenty of power for vertical climbs. Notice the foam cover I made for the electronics.
Interesting idea with the cover over the electronics. Did you do this for looks or protection of the radio gear. I ask because when I was building mine I was a bit concerned about everything just sitting on top waiting for a propeller to eat it.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Scott, I am looking forward to hearing how the GeeBee flies. I was thinking about getting one for myself but never saw it for $20. Is that a Richmodels? Seems like you got a great deal on that one.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:49 PM
Scott Schriver
Puryear, TN
Joined Feb 2010
19 Posts
Gee Bee Origins

I can't honestly say what the brand is. From what I can remember it was a family-owned business as claimed in the Ebay ad.

If I can find the instruction manual then maybe it has a name on it.

I do remember that they were producing several different models, perhaps they were warbirds and other mid 20th century planes. All of them were small (.15-.35 size)
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
My little 2C experimental scratch build is now officially in my hanger
Finally got the radio mixes and trim set and it flies good even in light gusty wind. 224 Grams (7.9 OZ), 720MM (28.5 inches) Wingspan. Motor is a Turnigy 2204-14T. Flight time is 20 minutes with the 750 2C battery.

I had a little trouble today with my Richmodel CAP232. The landing gear broke off while taxiing Damage was minor so I took it home and epoxied it back together, took it back later this evening for another try and got it off the ground. It flies fine, but on landing the gear broke off again. (No, it wasn't a hard landing!) I have added some additional bracing so hopefully this will not become a habit. I am up for suggestions on what to do about this issue.

As for the cover on the combat wing, it is mainly for looks. I don't think the foam would stop a propeller!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
It's not a video of my airplane but of an interesting air show incident in the news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PaxZ...layer_embedded
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:58 AM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Super Cub with Ailerons and new innards.
It still does not like wind.