HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:01 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
Discussion
Where does the ground wire hook up to?

My friend has been flying the rather big 3D plabnes for a while and decided to try an electric powered 3d model. He bought a big 80 amp esc from Value City for his plane.The esc has an extra wire coming from it that is said to be a ground wire. He thinks it is used suppress the spark when you hook into your battery pack. He has an 8s pack made up of 2-4 packs of lipos wired in parallel. So there is a lot juice there. What should he hook the ground wire to? RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:04 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
My friend has been flying the rather big 3D plabnes for a while and decided to try an electric powered 3d model. He bought a big 80 amp esc from Value City for his plane.The esc has an extra wire coming from it that is said to be a ground wire. He thinks it is used suppress the spark when you hook into your battery pack. He has an 8s pack made up of 2-4 packs of lipos wired in parallel. So there is a lot juice there. What should he hook the ground wire to? RCNutt
the small guage ground wire from the esc's negative lead is indeed for spart control when using high voltage.

You will need to solder on another small guage wire to the negative terminal of your battery connector, be that a deans, AP, or whatever you use. Then solder on a suitable bullet connector male/female to both small guage wires so that you can plug and unplug this connection.

From the manual:

There is a thin black wire attached with the negative input wire (black color, thick) of the ESC of Platinum-150A-OPTO, Platinum-70A-HV,
Platinum-120A-HV, it is used to eliminate the spark when the battery pack is connecting with the ESC. Please use it in the following
sequence:
1. Connect the positive input wire (red color, thick) of the ESC to the positive pole of the battery.
2. Connect the thin black wire to the negative pole of the battery.
3. As soon as you hear the special tone ♪123, connect the negative input wire (black color, thick) of the ESC to the negative pole of the
battery immediately (in 3 seconds).
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jan 31, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:42 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
ESC ground wire hook up?

Is this how to wire up the ground wire? See picture. RCNutt
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
Is this how to wire up the ground wire? See picture. RCNutt
Yes, your drawing is correct.
Pay attention to the connection sequence I posted earlier.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:23 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,720 Posts
whenever I click on the image in above post to check details while I'm preparing a reply, I lose whatever I've typed here

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any reason why one shouldn't install an extra + wire to match the extra ground wire, then connect them up using a small 2-pin polarised plug instead of a small bullet? That way one could then use a regular 2-pin polarised plug for the main connection, instead of having to use separate bullet-type plugs.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
whenever I click on the image in above post to check details while I'm preparing a reply, I lose whatever I've typed here

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any reason why one shouldn't install an extra + wire to match the extra ground wire, then connect them up using a small 2-pin polarised plug instead of a small bullet? That way one could then use a regular 2-pin polarised plug for the main connection, instead of having to use separate bullet-type plugs.
by plugging in the Main pos wire, and then the smaller neg wire, you are essentially pre charging the caps through a special circuit designed to limit the power draw. When you hear the special tone, the caps are charged and thusly, when you plug in the main neg wire, you don't get that instant current/voltage draw to the system, causing the snap.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:36 PM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
208 Posts
i asked a similar question a while ago
some on replied with a few photos of a set up in a plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160380
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:16 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,720 Posts
Thanks, but I think you're missing the point: If I don't want to use bullets (because all my other models and batteries use Deans Ultras or some other kind of polarised 2-pin connector), I can't use the single ground wire correctly, for it won't complete a circuit until I connect the main plug. But when I connect the main plug I'm defeating the object of the separate ground wire because I've created a circuit with the main wires before the separate ground has had a chance to pre-charge the caps.

So my suggestion is to install a separate small gauge + wire to go to a mini 2-pin polarised plug along with the extra ground wire. Then plugging that in before the main plug, and waiting for the beeps, will achieve the objective of pre-charging the caps at a slow rate. I was just wondering in my previous post if there's any good reason why not to do this.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:28 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,968 Posts
extra esc ground wire alternative

I don't think that would work. But you could use 2 non polarized mini plugs and that way you could still use your Deans ultra plugs for the main hookup. All you would do is add a mini red wire to the positive side with a connector in it, so you end up with a pigtail on both battery leads and 1 on the esc red wire. You start by hooking up the mini red wire then the mini black wire. As soon as you hear the musical tone plug your Deans Ultra together. This way you could keep using your Dean's Ultra Plug. I would feel the red wire immediately after hooking up the Dean's Ultra plug to see if it is warm. I doubt much juice would pass through it without the motor running. What do you think? RCNutt
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,720 Posts
Well, the two small bullet connectors could be replaced by one small 2-pin polarised plug without altering the way it works

I doubt that any significant current will flow through the light gauge wires because their resistance will be so much higher than that of the main power leads. Presumably the way the extra ground lead works is that it has a resistance in it so that it allows the capacitors in the ESC to charge up slowly; an additional resistor could be placed in the extra red lead as well, to ensure that all the current goes through the main leads during normal use, if that's a concern.