SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldtimer View Post
Ahhh TY Mick - Bravo47! That make sence to me. The smaller CoAxiel's I have are not as loud as the 3 and do not move anywhere near as much air. I feel a lot better about trying to fly the 3 now.
I just came in from running a second bench (tied down) test and was watching how the change in pitch works. Looking at the Heli from the front, when I apply right rudder I do see the blades bend up on the left side of the Heli. which I assume is the way it is supposed to work. When I apply left rudder I do not see the same blade movement.
So tomorrow early morning when there is no breeze I will take it outside and go off into the wild blue yonder, but not to far I hope.
Just remember its because of the way the LM3 is designed to turn that its not a helicopter that you can pyro safely. Turning in either direction is OK but 360deg pyro's will tempt fate. Turning one direction adds pitch, but reduces RPM. So a continuous turn will cause it to fall as the RPM declines. Turning in the opposite direction will offer a reduction in pitch resulting in loss off lift, and the RPM increase just barely keeps the aircraft aloft because the upper head only has 5deg of pitch. It all flies OK none the less, but you may find yourself in YoYo flight until you master the the turn.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, CA, Volcano
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
TY for the info Mick.
uh oh - I think my practice with the LAMA 400D may cause me some grief with the LAMA 3.
Will find out tomorrow a.m. when the sun and I both come up.
imaoldtimer is offline Find More Posts by imaoldtimer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,476 Posts
A Lama 400 is easy to fly compared to a Lama 3.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
my practice with the LAMA 400D .
Before Lama 3 I fly at Syma031 (equal Lama 400D) - without problems...
Fixed pitch, 2 motors - slow, stable and easy. Only problem - wind
av6746 is offline Find More Posts by av6746
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
My first flight with the Walkera LAMA 3.
So as I sit here with my knees knocking and my pulse rate up to 150 BPM I can say I made my first LAMA 3 flight this morning.
We live in the mountains at 3223' (1074m) and surrounded by large trees. My flyable area is the 40' x 30' concrete and gravel driveway pad bordered by trees. So I am restricted to hover and small slow cirlces. Can not go to high or I hit tree limbs near the borders. Most of the time there is no wind, but a light breeze. The problem with the breeze is part of the time its blowing in my face and the Heli. is leaning into it, then it makes a quick 180 degree turn and the Heli. wants to dash off and then in a blink the breeze changes 180 degrees back. Makes it exciteing.
I started out this morning with my E Sky LAMA 4 for a warm up. Then flew my Walkera LAMA 400D to test the breeze.
Then broke out the LAMA 3. I read all of Micks set up guide on page 40+ and many comments, but being the stubborn old coot I am I decided to fly it out of the box with no changes. Brave old soul and living dagerously.
Power on and increase the RPM and the 3 lifted up just as sweet as can be. I flew the entire battery charge at a hover from 1' to 3' above the ground and tail in with my adreneline pumping like crazy. Couple more times doing the tail in hover and then I will try some slow hover turns. I need more practice with nose in hover and flying circles.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
imaoldtimer GREAT! No crashes! Especially "it out of the box".... You are lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by av6746 View Post
Is it possible use the up blades at low rotor? How much pitch at that case?
According my small knowlege at aerodynamics (phd in phys.) blades are not wide and the difference ways between up and low surface of blade is very small . Since that I think possible to install up blades to low. May be a little change pitch
Make experiment - install up blades to low. Pitch 6 ged . Start at 40% power, no rotation heli.
Possible change blades, without change pitch
Last edited by av6746; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
According my small knowlege at aerodynamics (phd in phys.) blades are not wide and the difference ways between up and low surface of blade is very small . Since that I think possible to install up blades to low.
You cant use the upper blades on the lower head, or the reverse because LM3 blades are a "Semi- symmetrical airfoil". Have a look and you will see that the bottom side is flat. So if you flip them over to use on the bottom they will not create lift. I did experiment in the past with a typical "symmetrical" blade set and the LM3 did fly, but the electrics were under duress, as the typical 3D heli blade creates less lift.

Mick

ps Well done OT with your first flight
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Well my 2nd flight of the LAMA 3 was not as good as the 1st, but it was a hecka lot more exciting.
All looked good and I lifted up into a tail in hoover where the 3 stayed for a couple seconds. Then it shot foward like a rocket, did a 360 and plowed head on into a large cedar tree.
I mean this happened really fast!
My thought as to why right now is based on my fixed wing RC days where there was a radio link lose.
Damage appears minor considering the fast speed that the 3 hit the tree.
All 4 rotar blades cracked. Both the Flybar and Paddle bars bent and a couple links knocked off the balls. 1 landing is gear broken and broke my heart the front of the canopy is scattered across the forest floor.
I took the 4 blades off and did a bench test. Looks like the motors brass gear was moved away from the small plastic gear and the small gear is missing 1 tooth. I adjusted the mesh between the gears and did a power test run bent rods and all.
Looks like everything is in good shape and the main shafts do not appear bent.
So all new parts are on order and after repairs will do several bench runs to try to find out what caused the mayham.
I do need advice on how to set the gear mesh correctly between the brass motor shaft gear and the small gear.
Last edited by imaoldtimer; Apr 18, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
LM3 blades are a "Semi- symmetrical airfoil". Have a look and you will see that the bottom side is flat.
Yes I sow of course.
I think must be increase pitch but with same pitch was OK. Flight and no rotation.
The influence of different side profile is too small.
I will try at open air at nearest time since I havn't ordered blades
Quote:
Then it shot foward like a rocket, did a 360 .
Very similar to my flights...Take-off, swing, jump forward or sideways and hit the ground or snow on the speed. The Heli is unstable
I install selfmade training "legs" - cross bicycle spokes and tennis balls at the end. Good for prevent damage
Order the same for first fly... and one more small plastic gear :-(
And check servo...
Last edited by av6746; Apr 19, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
I will try at open air at nearest time since I havn't ordered blades
At weekend I fly with up blades at bottom. OK.
No crashes. A little more gas for start - around 50%.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,476 Posts
Quote:
At weekend I fly with up blades at bottom. OK.
No crashes. A little more gas for start - around 50%.
Since we're dealing with what is basically a toy, it really doesn't matter that it works with installing the blades upside down. Sure, it works, but that doesn't necessarily make it right. Also, if you're just hovering, that may be a whole lot different than if you actually fly the thing. (I don't consider hovering as "flying".) When you begin to fly it with some good horizontal movement, you will have a "leading" blade and a "trailing" blade. The lift on each will be significantly different. Flight characteristics will change dramatically to the point that the already weird behavior of this helicopter becomes even more strange.
The following is a vid by a fellow who proved you can fly a helicopter with a single blade and no tail rotor. Sure, it can be done, but why? Why not do it the way it was meant to be done? Of course, if you are a fan of "Ripley's Believe It or Not", then this is right up your alley.
Single Rotor Blade Helicopter. (Experiment) (8 min 32 sec)
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Norway, Nordland, Bodo
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
When you say 50%, do you mean you fly the battery down to 2.1v per cell? 10 minutes is a stretch. 15 minutes on this sort of heli is unheard of. Personally, I think you're killing your batteries but then, they're yours to kill.
If all you're doing is hovering at close range, no problem. But when you begin to actually fly further away, you won't hear an onboard buzzer. You won't see the litle lights either.
You must not run a lipo below 3 Volts. Try this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18588
And set it to 3.3 V, then you'll get a warning signal in time so that you can land it safely before the battery drains to much.
Palmo is offline Find More Posts by Palmo
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:02 AM View Post
cbxer55
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while cbxer55 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:53 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
Thanks for that! Whatever! It is said that learning to hover a helicopter is one of the harder things us RC pilots undertake. And I would have to agree, it has taken me forever to get comfortable hovering my HBK II in all orientations. Long before I could hover it comfortably face-in, I could fly it around without a whole lot of trouble. Reason being that once it is in motion, to me its like flying a plane.

But hovering, what a major PITA.

So take your "I do not consider hovering to be flying", and stick it where the sun does not shine.

I get more enjoyment out of a good hover session than I do playing rickey-racer, winging it all over h-ll and tarnation trying to impress a bunch of fools (who think dancing with the wannabe stars is entertainment).
Why is it, that there are always people who have to get all ghetto just because someone is of a different opinion

And NO, hovering is NOT flying !

Last time I checked, what they have in common is that both involve an airborne object. But there is a reason why one is called different than the other ...
While one refers to a moving object, the other refers to a stationary

... and you wouldn't claim parking is the same as driving, even though they both involve a car, right??

EDIT:
(also, please keep in mind we are talking about a coax here (ie a heli that usually does not do anything BUT hover until you "tell" it to ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Sure, it can be done, but why? Why not do it the way it was meant to be done?
xviper
Nice video.
I wrote before - the main reason why I try to change blades - I am beginner at LM3. As a result bottom blades broken much easy and I havn't free bottom blades but have top blades.
I want fly and tranning
May be at future I will profi and don't have problem with blades
I wait 3 weeks my order with new 8 blades...
Last edited by av6746; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Closed Thread