HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Discussion
Recommend Bullet Connectors for LIPO Batteries?

Does anyone use bullet connectors for their main LIPO battery to ESC connection?

Just bought some large 6-cell LIPOs that came with 5mm bullet connectors on the 10-gauge leads . I normally go with Deans connectors but I've been thinking lately of all the problems I've had with Deans with the difficulty of unplugging them (their damn smooth flat nylon) and now especially with the worrisome large sparks I get while making the connection. I'd like to move away from Deans and use round type connectors.

I was thinking of just using these LIPO's 5mm bullet connectors as-is and solder up the corresponding bullet connectors on my ESC. But I noticed the bullet connectors (as they are now) can be a bit unsafe because there is a large connection area and just the tiniest amount of the connector at the tip is exposed. This does open up the possibility of shorting the two leads on the battery both in-flight and especially just transporting these LIPOs.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make these bullet connectors safer for general purpose usage on a LIPO? I was thinking there must be some kind of "sleeve" I can purchase or make myself. Maybe I can make a sleeve with some heat shrink wrap -- just gotta make sure they shrink down to *exactly* the correct size for easy connections. The sleeves would be on each battery's leads and be permanently part of the battery's connector.
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:22 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,655 Posts
well normally you would use a plastic holder of some sort to keep the bullet conector pins apart. There is considerable risk of the exposed parts making contact with the corresponding arc welding effects.
The EC5 connectors work fairly well for this as they have a plastic holder for the 5mm bullet connector pins. http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...tor_%28Pair%29 You can get the EC3, 4 and 5 type connectors at most of your LHS stores too.

many guys like the Anderson power pole connectors, but they do not use bullet connector pins though. They are good for when you are drawing some more serious amperage like over 100 amperes. Like these 180 amp types: http://store.solar-electric.com/anpowpp180am.html

lately I have been partial to the Hobby City type of 4mm bullet connectors http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...2810pcs/set%29
as they work pretty well.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense. I wonder why HobbyKing shipped me these batteries with the bullets but without the housing? It probably would have only cost 10 cents extra per battery!

But it looks like I'm done with Deans. I'm using the EC type connectors all the way now. Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,655 Posts
All the large battery packs that i got recently from HobbyKing all had the red plastic 4mm connectors mentioned above. So it is odd they sent out some packs with the bullet connectors missing the plastic housing.
The smaller packs have their newer XT60 connectors on them.
Now before the packs came with no connectors, just some heat shrink tubing over the wire ends. I much preferred the no connectors, so it was a surprise when HK started putting on connectors too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:04 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,000 Posts
i'm using 6mm bullets from hobbyking, but a feind of mine has the 5.5mm's and they have better fit. its great for series setups you dont need anything but male on pos and female on neg
spastic is online now Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:08 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Lots of people use bullets without a housing. In some ways they are better and in other ways they are not so good in comparison to a housed connector like EC5s. I ran 3.5mm bullets on my Knight 600e when I flew it and they worked great. I ran females on the batteries and males on the esc and charger (unlike the HC ones where each pack has a male and female).

My friend just got some HC Turnigy packs with &*%$#@ 10ga wire on them and they were a total PITA to solder. He used EC5s and they seem like nice connectors but they are by no means perfect. One of his problems is that they are a royal pain to get into the housing and once in there, I am not sure yo can get them back out without ruining the housing.

If I was going to choose a connector for a big heli like a 600 I would run wither 4mm bullets (cheap on eBay) or EC5s. If I was choosing a connector for a 500 I would probably choose XT60s.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:09 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
I have MPJet Gold Connectors on my packs.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:30 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Here are the new 40C packs I got with only the 5.5mm bullets.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9955

They come with 5.5mm bullet connectors and no housing. I think its worth it to put the battery 5.5mm bullets in the EC5 housing for added safety.

I ordered 3 packs of XT60 connectors from HobbyKing. But they won't go on my new battery because of its extra thick 10-guage wire. XT60s can take 14-guage and smaller only. I was seriously thinking about changing all my batteries to XT60s. The largest heli I have is a T-Rex 500.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:36 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
The XT60s will accept 12ga easily, I know I just soldered a bunch of them. As for 10ga, they would be just like Deans. You would just solder the thick wire to the XT60 as best you can and it would work fine.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Now that I think about it, I might make a 5.5mm-to-XT60 dongle using 14-guage on the end of my new batteries. Then tape up where the bullets connect to make a semi-permanent connector. Yes, 5.5mm with 10-guage wiring is overkill for a stock T-Rex 500.

But the dongle with the bullets is good. If I ever need to really use big power for a Scorpion motor or something like, that I can simply replace the dongle without ever having to cut the leads on these new batteries.

I don't think I have the skills to solder up 10-guage wire without melting the connectors especially the Deans would probably melt by the time the solder got up to melting point. Another reason I'm despising Deans.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
What I did on my Protos, on the Ice 75A that had 10ga on it, was use a 4mm female bullet to couple (solder) the 10ga to some 12ga. Then I used 3.5mm bullets on the 12ga and it worked very well.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
The XT60s will accept 12ga easily, I know I just soldered a bunch of them. As for 10ga, they would be just like Deans. You would just solder the thick wire to the XT60 as best you can and it would work fine.
Thanks. So I'll use the 12-ga wires instead.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEREE View Post
I normally go with Deans connectors but I've been thinking lately of all the problems I've had with Deans with the difficulty of unplugging them
Not trying to steer you away from bullets, but Deans can be removed easily with one application of powdered graphite...

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:21 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413 View Post
Not trying to steer you away from bullets, but Deans can be removed easily with one application of powdered graphite...

Challenger413
Interesting, something like this?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ge...68#description

Not sure what it is yet but I imagine its a liquid you apply to the Deans that dries and gives much improved friction?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
Something as simple as scraping a pencil lead will work. I bought a small bottle of powdered graphite at a hardware store, they sell it for keeping locks working smoothly....Buy the smallest bottle available, because you won't use that much The bottle I bought is 3/4 full, I probably won't use another 1/4.

One application has kept the Deans I use working nicely for 4 years +..

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413