HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:49 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
Discussion
Scratch-building a Nexor Pro

The Nexor is the product of the fertile minds of Bruce Nye, Steve Boag, Marcus Stent, Tim Lennon and occasional elbow grease from me.

The Nexor is based on Supra foils but using a different planform and different everything else.

It's flown for a year and it works well but can always be improved upon. The molds worked well, the lay-ups, templates and procedures worked well so the effort to produce a molded glider is greatly reduced. Reduced enough for me to have a go!

First-up the balsa skins are 1mm medium soft. The joiner boxes and joiners are done. The balsa shear webs are cut and the sub-spars done.

Chris Adams
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
Poraver & MDF

The mold filler is Poraver. Cheap. Lightweight. Works. We'll use it again.

MDF is "medium density fibreboard":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Not sure if you can get the exact product in the US. It's a high-density wood product (Radiata Pine is used in Australia). Fibres are mashed-up then re-combined with resin and wax at high temps/pressure.

Chris.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,307 Posts
Chris,

Watchin' with interest.

S

PS Did you give 'she who must be obeyed' the poraver bowl back?
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:32 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,105 Posts
Mixing poraver

Hi Chris great to see the SEAT team posting on Rcgroups.

Following with interest.

My shedbuddy Shane used Poraver to make a fuz mold - awesome stuff!

He used a battery drill to drive a paint mixer and reported it was a 'piece of cake' to mix...

cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:10 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,914 Posts
Nice work guys.

I always use glass bowls from the kitchen rather than the metal ones. That way when the wife is looking for it I can just say that I broke it while doing the dishes .

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
Tah for the mixer tip Jeff. Dunno about the bowl Shed...that was a matter for Bruce and his SWMBO. Adam; cunning solution!

Chris.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
You do nice work Chris...wish I had the skills/time/money/workshop to do stuff like that. Keep the build threads coming!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
I can't take much credit for the accuracy/ fidelity of the process Jon.

Bruce & Steve are both gifted in that regard. I just slop the resin in and hope for the best ;0)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:02 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
182 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just to add a bit more info to the thread, we are also working on a modular fuz design. We are only in the early stages at the moment. Tailplanes and F3B pod have been modelled up in the CAD program. F3J pod for the Nexor is next. No CNC plugs/moulds have been produced yet.

We want a fuz system that allows us more flexibility when coming up with new models/concepts and parts/moulds that are easy and quick to produce or modify. We don't want to have to make new fuz moulds every time we want to produce a different model.

It is basically a pod and boom system but with the all carbon boom extending forward of the wing seat. The pod (different for F3B/J) then goes in front. Size and wetted area has been kept to a minimum but not to the extent where structural strength is compromised. Tail groups (x-tail, plug on v-tai) will essentially be the same as the Baudis Trinity concept. A small wing seat mould will be produced to sit on the top of the boom.

New wing designs will only require a new wing seat to be produced to allow for different airfoils, wing chord etc. The wing seat and tail groups can be easily moved to adjust moments as the boom mandrel is longer than necessary.

It probably won't be as sexy as some of the commercial (or home grown) fuz's, but the ease of manufacture and flexibility of this system should make it worthwhile. The CNC machined 2-piece steel mandrel is finished and can be viewed at http://seat.org.au/

Chris can post pics when we have made further progress.

cheers

Steve
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
77 Posts
subscribed
dimadee is offline Find More Posts by dimadee
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:40 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
Nexor

Apologies for the timewarp photo-sequence; here's the Nexor in it's element at Milang F3J (Sth. Australia) last yr.

Maiden flight with the glue still drying ;0)

Chris.
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Jan 29, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty View Post
Apologies for the timewarp photo-sequence; here's the Nexor in it's element at Milang F3J (Sth. Australia) last yr.

Maiden flight with the glue still drying ;0)

Chris.
Thanks for posting all the photos. We all love photos "Maiden flight with the glue still drying " I wouldn't mind betting that it'll be the same for Evan's Sniper at Milang too.

D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:41 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
1,971 Posts
Tah David, hope your Sniper claims a few scalps at Milang ;0)

Chris.