HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Discussion
Anyone ever fly from the passenger seat going down the road?

OK, so I'm not trying to suggest anything irresponsible, I know this would be a very bad idea anywhere that other drivers are present. However it seems like it could be fun on a controlled road, or perhaps a very far out country road where you can see there are no other drivers present (and enough visibility that if another driver becomes present in the distance, you could land).

Has anyone ever sat in the passenger seat of a car and flown their rc plane in front of, or above, or beside the car while driving down a road or highway? How was it?

By the way, I don't plan on doing this, at least not any time soon since I don't have a "disposable" plane. I'm just wondering if other people do this.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
I personally never have, but this guy has:

FPV Plane FPV (8 min 51 sec)
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
O.N.E.
behind the sticks
Joined Sep 2006
2,014 Posts
Flying under Stockholm (5 min 57 sec)
This one I always thought was cool.Olin
ClioRC is offline Find More Posts by ClioRC
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:46 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
At R/C cross country sailplane competitions, guys fly from the back seats of convertibles, or sitting in the bed of a pickup truck. Of course, the planes are up pretty high, not flying along side the car or truck. As far as I know, they do this on the open rode (albeit in the middle of the countryside where there arent lots of other cars).
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:03 AM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,183 Posts
Seem to recall someone who will go unnamed who took his 35%er off from a tiny backyard over a lake, hucked over the lake with smoke on(neighbors just loved that), jumped in the back of the pickup and we went about 1-1/2 miles down the main road and turned off on a side road and he landed it. He kept it kind of high going down the road but still managed to do rolling harriers with it at road speeds. Should have seen the look on a guy mowing his front yard when the plane flew past
3Deranged is online now Find More Posts by 3Deranged
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:27 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
574 Posts
When I was a member of the Stetsons (in Canada), we used to have cross country comps flying powered aircraft from the back of a pick up. It was fun. The idea was to take off and land at the same field and fly a cross country course. As I recall you had to fix extra fuel tanks to make it all the way round.

Good fun - not quite sure what the police might say! (especially in tunnels!)

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Nothing on the same scale as the above, but I flew my aeroace from the passenger seat whilst my wife drove slowly around the park. It was fun for a while, kinda like the chase mode on a sim.
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
I've flown from the bow seats of a boat while my buddy drove the boat. That was fun, but I wish that the boat was a little faster. I had to throttle way back to keep a North Star from running away from us. It's a little unnerving crossing someone else's wake while flying!
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Last edited by Knotnuts; Jan 28, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
Rockwall, TX
Joined Dec 2004
643 Posts
Did this back in the early 90s with my father when he was just showing us sons how to fly. Basically there was a country road that made a loop back to our place. Total drive time was about 12-15 minutes. I drove a small convertable, dad flew from the passenger seat and my younger brother videoed the whole thing from the back seat with a Sony 8mm camera. Good times!!! We lived in a rural area and could never get away with doing something like this now.
DPHOYE is offline Find More Posts by DPHOYE
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:12 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Totally thought of it, just have not do it yet. Looks like fun!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
How about this guy, took off in England, landed in Wales

Bridge Hucking (6 min 34 sec)

this guy has some very funny videos, check out the bridge crashes vidoes while you are there
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun