Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by archer789, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
S/E Pennsylvania
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Discussion
Foam Milling

After looking around at what people on these forums have been doing with depron milling, I gave it a try.

Thanks go out to the other folks who have posted what they have figured out with the milling process. Thanks for the inspiration!

My take on milling that is a little different:

Poster board makes cheap, sturdy, easy to cut templates. You then need to set the guide collar depth accordingly.

The collar is a tight press fit so it can be adjusted to different depths according to the thickness template your using. I experiment with it a little before I cut.

A very light mist of spray adhesive attached the drawling to the poster board, and a very light mist for the poster board template to the foam part.

I looked for a guide collar to fit around the bit that was just marginally bigger then the bit itself. Thus keeping the difference between the drawing and the final cut to a minimum. I went through that drawer in the kitchen where you keep all the junk and found different pens that could be taken apart, and used for guide collars. A metal pen cap worked for me.

Thanks again to those who have posted on this topic before me!
archer789 is offline Find More Posts by archer789
Last edited by archer789; Feb 03, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
I've been milling foam with my Dremel and a router bit as well. Never thought to use the router base to uniformly limit cutting depth. I have it right in the box. It is probably because I never work with anything that is a flat enough base for it. Everything is always curved or already recessed where I need to route it out.

Do you have a way to prevent the static charged foam bits from sticking to everything?
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:31 PM
S/E Pennsylvania
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Yes. An air gun does the trick. The acrylic router base keeps most of the foam cuttings confined in the routed pockets. Afterwards, dump them into the trash, then blast the parts with some compressed air.
archer789 is offline Find More Posts by archer789