SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Discussion
question concerning shielding of rf signal in dlg pods

I have been putting together pods for dlg and I havent yet concerned myself much with 2.4 mhz but I got wondering if I should be more concerned about where I place my Carbon in my fuses.
Im curious to know what you guys think about the carbon that I have down the side of my kevlar pods in respect to 2.4mhz

Do you think the CF in my pod will be a concern

thanks
SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,369 Posts
Just my un-educated opinion. Yes, I think it will make a difference compared to having no carbon but I also believe this is a time for trial and error. If the owner decides to try and have the antenna within the pod then that person might want to do extensive range testing before committing it to the sky. If they don't mind doing the "whisker" thing, then it probably is better off than a full carbon pod but it should have zero issues. Don't know if that helps at all...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:15 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Thks Charlie It does help because I know very little about the different installations.

Im thinking I might be best to cut the carbon another 2 inches shorter .
Thanks again..hopefully others will reply and help me form a opinion as well

thks
SL
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:05 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,565 Posts
SL,

Looking at the pod, I am not sure you really need the CF there. Pod looks solid. I have built kevlar pods and have not seen a need.

If you need to add strength, why not just use some Kevlar Uni? Ping me if you want a sample. I get some as scrap.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
SL,

Looking at the pod, I am not sure you really need the CF there. Pod looks solid. I have built kevlar pods and have not seen a need.

If you need to add strength, why not just use some Kevlar Uni? Ping me if you want a sample. I get some as scrap.

Chris
Kevlar uni?? oh my!! yet another material I need to try lolol

I agree .I dont think I need the carbon either ..

My lay-up is two layers of 1.7 kevlar 1 layer .075 glass and doubler toward the rear and up the pylon .
As you would assume the boom cements in the rear so Im likely good to go.

the kevlar pod is 18.5 -19 grams so I may drop the weight even more yet ..I was surprised to see my weights that low ..iM very happy with my results

THANK YOU to many of you fine folks for your help ..
Thanks Chris for your offer on the uni ...I may have to let that slide for now because Im swamped with ideas but I would appreciate a link if you have one

SL
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:50 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,308 Posts
Carbon in Pod

Your kevlar pod looks similar to the Lighthawk pod as far as carbon placement. The LH carbon is not as wide. I use an AR500 in my LH and keep its antenna looped around inside the pod, no issues at all, it will range check to over 300 ft in any position, and I've had it as far away as I would ever want to fly it without problems.

Bob P
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:29 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
thank you Bob ..I noticed the light hawk also

Time to experiment I guess although I may just build one without the cf and see how it feels ..Im thinking the larger dia has bought me some strength ...I wanted to be able to use a d60 dymond servo standing uprite for the rudder OR all four servos in the pod..The pod is short and pretty roomy for more selection in relation to li-po`s also ..I think Im close to hitting my mark ..thks again

SL
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:30 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
R-F shielding

S-L:

whether you need the cf or not is something you can figure out for yourself, but to answer your question (is the carbon a concern for a 2.4Ghz installation?), any conductor in the R-F path is a concern, but we have been dealing with that for years. In the "old days" we had a 30 inch antenna hanging out and didn't think much about it, now we have 2.5 cm antennas, and can't figure out what to do with them-I strongly suggest that you lead them to clear air as soon as possible.

The best way to tell if you installation works is to range test.

Bob
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,856 Posts
See if you can find some S-glass. I've replaced the carbon in my pods with S-glass and it seems to be reasonably equivalent (or at least good enough for who it's for).
I'm in the process of making the jump to 2.4 in the few planes I can afford receivers for.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:53 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-ole-Bob View Post
S-L:

whether you need the cf or not is something you can figure out for yourself, but to answer your question (is the carbon a concern for a 2.4Ghz installation?), any conductor in the R-F path is a concern, but we have been dealing with that for years. In the "old days" we had a 30 inch antenna hanging out and didn't think much about it, now we have 2.5 cm antennas, and can't figure out what to do with them-I strongly suggest that you lead them to clear air as soon as possible.

The best way to tell if you installation works is to range test.

Bob
thks BOB ..I dont have a 2.4 so I cant range test but I think im best to do away with the carbon

thks again
SL
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:06 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
See if you can find some S-glass. I've replaced the carbon in my pods with S-glass and it seems to be reasonably equivalent (or at least good enough for who it's for).
I'm in the process of making the jump to 2.4 in the few planes I can afford receivers for.
Dave
I may make a few pod completely out of glass ..Any lay-up suggestions .S glass would be nice although might not drape to well ..Its in the 5 oz range ..thanks Dave ..I dont really need to go to 2.4 and love my evo but its being forced on us with the low stock in fm rx these days ..bummer

I just dont care to sell guys pods with false assumptions on my part

thks guys

SL
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,127 Posts
You could check with Will Newton. He makes the 2.4 pods for Oleg's TabooGT and they are all fiberglass.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
Beijing
Joined Sep 2007
197 Posts
Hi,soarluck
moved by what you've done!I think kevlar with uni-carbon is a good chioce,and friendly to 2.4G radio.uni-carbon maybe should be from top to the end of the pod.
wzg_zxl is offline Find More Posts by wzg_zxl
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:31 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
Kevlar uni would not be a good materials choice. It will have poor compression strength. Fine in tension though..

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:49 AM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,088 Posts
I have an Aspirin (carbon only pod) and a Predator II (carbon/kevlar pod) both on Futaba FASST 2.4, both with the antennas inside the pod and both with the antennas parallel not at 90 deg. I get a 60 pace range check on both (30 to 50 pace spec) and have had no problems flying with other peps or as far away as these old eyes can see. I'm using a 12Z trans and the older R606 recievers. They are realy cheap when you can find them because they had compatibility problems with some trans. I will be using a R617 in my next plane because there is no more R606s on ebay :-)

Just what works for me
Maurice
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder