HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Discussion
Help with mCX? Servo's sticking (Horizon Hobby Support is Terrible)

My daughter's 2 week old mCX is not working right. Both the servos stick.

Her mCX has never been right, since day one it was touchy about binding, and now completely out of the blue, her servos are sticking. they will move to the end of travel in one direction then just stop. and not move again.

I contacted Horizon hobby support and they are no help at all, perhaps someone here can help me figure out a solution?
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
Blade mSR freak
hydro_pyro's Avatar
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
See if the gears on the servos have become nicked from crashes. Rotate each of them with your fingertip, they should turn easy all the way around. If there are ANY slightly sticky or slow spots in the gears, they will jam. Also, the mCX canopy has a tendency to drag on the servo gear if it's deformed.

Binding should only need to occur once. After that, the start procedure is always the same:
Turn on the Tx, wait 10 seconds, plug in the heli, leave it flat and still for 6 seconds till the light comes on, then FLY!
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
All the gears are fine, with the power off you can freely rotate both servos with no sticking or resistance, and the servos stick with or without the canopy.

I have removed the servos from the board and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner, blow all the dust out of the servos, checked the gears, checked the motors (which are fine), lubed the worm rod and slider, and put it all back together. It work ok for about 5 min, then the servos stuck again.

You should only have to bind once, but not on hers. It needs to be rebound almost every few battery changes. You turn the transmitter on and then plug in the battery and then light will just flash on the heli, so we have to repeat the process a few times. and it might finally link up, but most of the time we have to put the transmitter back into bind mode, and attempt to rebind, which normally takes 4-6 attempts before it will rebind. (We have the same behavior on both the RTF transmissiters we have, my frieds DX6i, and my DX7.)

She will get a few batteries though it, and then it will loose it's binding again.
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
All the gears are fine, with the power off you can freely rotate both servos with no sticking or resistance, and the servos stick with or without the canopy.

I have removed the servos from the board and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner, blow all the dust out of the servos, checked the gears, checked the motors (which are fine), lubed the worm rod and slider, and put it all back together. It work ok for about 5 min, then the servos stuck again.

You should only have to bind once, but not on hers. It needs to be rebound almost every few battery changes. You turn the transmitter on and then plug in the battery and then light will just flash on the heli, so we have to repeat the process a few times. and it might finally link up, but most of the time we have to put the transmitter back into bind mode, and attempt to rebind, which normally takes 4-6 attempts before it will rebind. (We have the same behavior on both the RTF transmissiters we have, my frieds DX6i, and my DX7.)

She will get a few batteries though it, and then it will loose it's binding again.
So you paid top dollar so would you get the great HH service and you are not getting it?? Call them again.. As sounds like you have a bad board.. And they should send you a new one..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
Blade mSR freak
hydro_pyro's Avatar
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I've been waiting for a few weeks on my warranty replacement board. They don't have any. So I bought one from an Ebay seller while I grow gray hairs waiting for my new one.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
I was not very impressed with HH support on the phone. The person was not supportive and played the "item is not defective" card.

Then I emailed the support and told them in the email exactly the same thing as on the phone and without questions they shipped me a replacement 5-in-1.

So try emailing them and describe exactly what happens and what you have done to try and resolve the issue. You may be surprised!
dimastep is offline Find More Posts by dimastep
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:30 AM
Blade mSR freak
hydro_pyro's Avatar
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I sent Horizon a two-page e-mail with my contact info, regarding a half-dozen different specific design and defect-related issues, complete with fixes, and all I got was an automatic "form" reply.

I tried calling first, and the guy basically told me "we're not going to change or improve them".

In other words, as long as they're making money, and the Chinese factory is building them fast enough, it's all good...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
THREE different transmitters lose binding? Bad receiver, which can also drive servos all the way one way (I've got one like that).

Explain it to them that way. Horizon may not always be perfect but they're known for the most responsive support in the business, once they understand the situation.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
I explained it, they want me to send the 5-in-1 in.

How long you think it will take them to replace it?
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
Blade mSR freak
hydro_pyro's Avatar
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
...How long you think it will take them to replace it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I've been waiting for a few weeks on my warranty replacement board. They don't have any. So I bought one from an Ebay seller while I grow gray hairs waiting for my new one.
Maybe they'll have some for your mCX...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
hmm.... well that sucks

Let me know if you get yours in!
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:16 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Bad time of year for Chinese parts. They officially shutdown for a month (April?) and you can't get much out of them for 2 months before or 1 month after that.

Dunno how long you have to wait. But they WILL fix it, and it's not working the way it is, so might as well send it in.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Bad time of year for Chinese parts. They officially shutdown for a month (April?) and you can't get much out of them for 2 months before or 1 month after that.

Dunno how long you have to wait. But they WILL fix it, and it's not working the way it is, so might as well send it in.
It starts on February 14th this year and only lasts 15 days to a month..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
It starts on February 14th this year and only lasts 15 days to a month..
The Year of the Tiger. Great. This explains where my yet to be purchased UFO #8 is.
Ronon is offline Find More Posts by Ronon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Quote:
It starts on February 14th this year and only lasts 15 days to a month
I dunno when it started/ended last year, but stuff I ordered in late Feb didn't get delivered until April.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new DX5e, servo's sticking? RafiS Radios 7 Jan 21, 2010 09:49 AM
Rave Horizon Hobby Customer Support!!!!! skyline223 Radios 3 Dec 25, 2009 08:36 PM
Discussion Horizon Hobby Support nyflyer1 Vendor Talk 1 Nov 11, 2009 11:21 AM
Discussion MCX on sale at Hobby Lobby, $20 off with full support arbilab Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jul 31, 2009 11:53 PM
Discussion mcx with sticking servo's? igotit Micro Helis 3 Jul 12, 2009 04:33 AM