Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:00 AM
Surrey, BC
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Discussion
Beech 18 48" to 60" plan enlargement

Ok so a bit of good news so far.

I got word back from Mike at Fly2build, who says he can sell me a set of beech 18 plans. And is even willing to scale them up from a 48" to 60" wing span for me as I was hoping. The concern is that scaling the plans up would mean having to change the sizes and distance of the spars, thicknesses of other parts and so on.

Now, I have nothing against a 48", I was just hoping for a little extra room to do extra details and a few features. The hope also is that there would be enough room for a longer flight time. Unless if someone could convince me otherwise, I might change my mind and just go with the 48". I still have a few months to work things out before I start on the project itself.
Jimfoxyboy is offline Find More Posts by Jimfoxyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:32 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Go for it man, bigger is better !
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
with the extra size you may be able to sheet the fuse and get rid of the starving supermodel look of the 48" version, no disrespect intended to all those conscerned.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:56 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
939 Posts
Beech 18

A suggestion - - Tom Hunt's Beech 18 was designed with a fully-sheeted fuselage. Perhaps buying a copy of his plans and enlarging them to whatever size you need would yield up a designed-from-the-beginning sheeted fuselage for you. And you would have two sets of plans to mix and match to suit other sections of your project.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Last edited by PeterH; Jan 27, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:58 PM
Surrey, BC
Joined Jan 2010
20 Posts
Ah thanks! I just sent off a couple of messages to him, hopefully I'll hear back soon. I had seen his website before but didn't think much else about the construction he used till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
A suggestion - - Tom Hunt's Beech 18 was designed with a fully-sheeted fuselage. Perhaps buying a copy of his plans and enlarging them to whatever size you need would yield up a designed-from-the-beginning sheeted fuselage for you. And you would have two sets of plans to mix and match to suit other sections of your project.
Jimfoxyboy is offline Find More Posts by Jimfoxyboy