Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:02 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitaro View Post
hello....
the model can be buy from 2 Chinese shop
66$ ARF naked included shipping cost (here in Italy)
80$ RTF

contacts them from skype
links:

1) http://www.along-rc.com/english/list.asp?id=218 (skype wolfmodel)
2) http://www.zs-gl.com/1/en/productsho...id=44&sortid=1 (skype Anna)

let us know total price in US and please...some videos in water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Wow! thanks for the link, I will try a fake order for one and see the USD cost soon.. and do plan to try to video it soonest.. Good Luck with yours!.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Jim this is Joe Connick, my a5 seems to be etting worse I was jiggeling the motor and it came right out of the a5 I saw where there needed screws and they wasn't any. so I fixed that. I'm out of work right now so I have the time to mess around with it, it does piss me off to have spent $150.00 and only take a boat trip. I got with Nitro Planes and their phone nazi's were as rude as hell. Eveything is my fault, Oh and guess what my ESC was not the problem it was the engine the whole time, I think i burt channel 3 on my reciever and I'm fixin to go buy one, I got pictures of everything on camcord on my youtube channel...connickjoseph...it should be up to night, hey email me josephconnick@yahoo.com or Face Book Joe Connick. The weather is perfect here so I'm trying to get it ready for tomorrow and get som good flight videos. Oh yea, since there was no communicaton of any value I decided to buy another one, yea I know I'm Crazy however stay tuned and I'll get them videos up for everyone............joe
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Old May 01, 2010, 02:54 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
.. I'm Crazy however stay tuned and I'll get them videos up for everyone............joe
Joe.. yeah i hear you and i would be really ticked off if I were you at this point..
I would really appreciate a couple picts or close up vids of the way you cut into the fuse to show a side view of the motor mount.. I have no idea what he best way to open it up (and still keep it strong) would be. Mine is really wobbly on the mount now too.. and it's been so windy that I have not had a chance to try see if a three blade prop would help.. but i too suspect not much.. and that ultimately I'll need to change out the motor for a better one with more low end torque and a lower KV perhaps.. Good Luck Joe. Keep us posted please..
Regards,
JimS
Old May 01, 2010, 04:38 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Hey Buddy, I just made a video and it's on youtube under my site connickjoseph, Guan'Li ICON A5. If you can't find it I'll email it to ya.....Stay peaceful.....your Bro.....Joe Connick
Old May 01, 2010, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Everything works but the engine ICON A5

I just recently bought a Guan'Li ICON A5 for my birthday and set it up on one of Dave Hebert's youtube Videos. I have everyting hooked up righ and all my elevators, rudders, alierons work except my motor some times I can get it to work on a different channel but not the one it should be going to. I have been having nothing but problems with this plane, however I went ahead and bought a new one, anyway can some one help me as far as why my engine won't work, thanks so much......Joe Connick
Old May 02, 2010, 12:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Jim, check this out go to youtube,...ICON A5 RC Model EP.....Try punching in that and see what happens, I think there names are oumeastro. Now this is how they are suppose to run.......Hollar at me and let me know what you think......Joe
Old May 03, 2010, 05:31 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
ok my icon arrived today... i am taking several pics and documenting the build. first thing i noticed is the motor is not mounted securely at all. you can take the prop shaft and move it up and down and all over. if you were to fly it like this you would definately not make as much watts of power as you should, you would lose some to the vibration.

i proceeded to cut out a hatch to get to the motor, measure 40mm from the back of the motor opening and make a cut straight down being careful not to cut the motor wires. then make a cut on each side straight back to the motor shaft end. remove the piece and save it so you can re glue it on with hot glue or use screws to make it more removeable. first thing i noticed right away is the motor is mounted on a stick mount and hardwood stick. the set screw was not tight that holds the motor on the mount, also there is not a single screw securing the stick mount to the hardwood stick at all. i have several pics so far and will upload them shortly
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old May 03, 2010, 10:40 PM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,531 Posts
Hey is your motor working now? What type of ESC does it come with? I considered this plane a few weeks back but purchased the Seawind. Anyway, the Seawind comes with a yellow ESC that does not activate the motor unless I bring the throtle stick to full throttle then hear the beeps, bring the stick down THEN the motor is ready to go. It's some type of security system to prevent the motor from spinning accidentally. I wonder if the GuanLi has the same type of ESC. Just a thought... I'm fairly new to the hobby and certainly new to this type of ESC... I was about to toss it and put on a Turnigy one but I'm glad I did some Google searches.

I will keep monitoring this thread, I want to see that beauty up in the air. For the right price, I will be willing to make modes to put it up in the air... I can always use a second sea plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
I just recently bought a Guan'Li ICON A5 for my birthday and set it up on one of Dave Hebert's youtube Videos. I have everyting hooked up righ and all my elevators, rudders, alierons work except my motor some times I can get it to work on a different channel but not the one it should be going to. I have been having nothing but problems with this plane, however I went ahead and bought a new one, anyway can some one help me as far as why my engine won't work, thanks so much......Joe Connick
merlin703 is offline Find More Posts by merlin703
Old May 04, 2010, 01:37 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703 View Post
For the right price, I will be willing to make modes to put it up in the air... I can always use a second sea plane.
Merlin..
I can't recall the stock ESC vendor's name exactly off the to and I'm in the office rite now.. it's a 25amp ESC tho as I recall and it does not need to have the Throttle at max to arm it before each flight as does the Seawind's .. I bet for the short burst of thrust needed for take off it may be Ok at 25amps tho..

Chevron,
Great picts ,, and 40mm was an excellent guess on where to cut it.. i will do the same and I did not notice the slop in the mount initially, but definately DO now.. I need to do this same mod to fix the wobble, and will likely put in a different motor at the same time .. one with a lower kv and more torque is what I'd be after.. are you planning to switch your motor out? .. or try it as-is .. Thanks a lot for the great tips and photos.. i do think some of this is cockpit error on my part too, and a combination of things will help us all get reliable take-off's from water .. these are the things I believe may be key..

1.) only attempt on a very low wind / low ripple day .. directly into the wind.. and as recomended:

2.) give it UP initially but only long enough to get the nose pointed out of the water, then as it gains speed keep the down elevator applied till the plane's fuse up "on step" and moving with both wing tips and pontoons out of the water.. then pull back gradually once you have some speed up .. and don't climb too fast or it will tend to tipstall..

wear a bathing suit before starting step 1.

Hope it helps .. but I'm certainly no seaplane expert please post some video if you can.. i will do the same once this sprained ankle heals and i fix the motor wobble issue.. Thanks Again.. JimS
Old May 04, 2010, 05:17 PM
A&P/IA
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
i plan on trying the stock motor first and record the watts and amp draw and do some computing to see if it has enough to get the job done off water. If it works well i will keep it stock but i am not holding my breathe. I will put in a power 10 if the stock setup isnt enough power.
an eflight power 10 with a turnigy 40 amp esc and apc 9x6 prop gives me 15 min flight times on my scratch built ferrel plane with a 2100mah 25c 3s lipo.

would be a perfect combo for the icon a5
Old May 04, 2010, 09:43 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevronflyer View Post
i plan on trying the stock motor first and record the watts and amp draw and do some computing to see if it has enough to get the job done off water. If it works well i will keep it stock but i am not holding my breathe. I will put in a power 10 if the stock setup isnt enough power.
an eflight power 10 with a turnigy 40 amp esc and apc 9x6 prop gives me 15 min flight times on my scratch built ferrel plane with a 2100mah 25c 3s lipo.

would be a perfect combo for the icon a5
Well I might argue the capacity and weight of the battery is a little high for this plane but with that motor, it would likely be just fine..and .. it that sounds like an excellent plan to me.. Good Luck with the stock motor testing.. I'm eager to hear back..
Regards,
JimS
Old May 05, 2010, 09:00 PM
A&P/IA
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
all up ready to fly weight came in at 1 pound 12 ounces.
will do some motor testing tomorrow and post the results

well if its true that you need to add ballast weight to the nose to get it to balance out right, then the little bit bigger battery will definately be weight that works for me.
i will see where it balances with stock battery and with my 2200mah lipos
Old May 06, 2010, 08:58 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Anyone notice this video?..

He's done several interesting mods especially to the bottom

and obviously has had great success with his.. Not sure if he's on RCG tho .. believe he may be in China or Taiwan one from the voices in the background..

Chevron how would you fit a 2200 mah lipo? .. mod the current bay?

ICON A5 RC Model EP (5 min 34 sec)

Regards,
JimS
Old May 06, 2010, 01:17 PM
A&P/IA
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
yes mod the current bay, my bay was already broken out of the plane when it arrived anyway so rather than repair it and re glue it in i am going to leave the tray out and make the opening a little wider so the lipo will fit between the servos in the same spot but rest on velcro on the bottom of the fuse, i only have to make it about 10mm wider to accept the battery.

i will post pics