HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Mar 2007
80 Posts
I was just trying (failed) to express that no matter where we put the battery (all the way forward or all the way back) the plane immediatly nosed over and crashed.

I dunno.

Gotta blame the mechanic(s), not the plane. We've seen tons of this build flying in videos on the net. This one is not pilot error.

We've pulled the parts, looking for another "kit" (preferably a sea plane) to try again.
frankrentef is offline Find More Posts by frankrentef
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
I encourage you to continue to check this thread occasionally. I just finished a few other builds (Fox glider, Nano-Shark, Assassin) and cleared my table.

I'll start back up with this one this week. I intend to try to get it flying first and then work on the water aspect of it. Succeed or fail, I will post the results.

For another kit, may I recommend one of the following? I do not have experience with any of them, but they have been around a while and there should be plenty of forum info on them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSAG3&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRLP8&P=0

http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ5875
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Float plane fly-in in Germany (for a look at various seaplanes)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667480
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:59 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2005
223 Posts
Success

With the thrust line changed downwards (like on a tractor config), the step deepened and 15 degrees of flaps, I finally had two decently looking water takeoffs and landings today.

After building up speed slowly (otherwise it digs in) to full power, it started skimming the water and and than took off cleanly without brutal elevator application.

Once in the air the old problems of jittery unstable flight under power were there again.

I can live with the current results: flyable, but not great. Maybe this plane just needs more open space to/and be flown very gently, which my environment does not allow.
mille is offline Find More Posts by mille
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mille. Can you share more detail about the deepened step?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:53 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2005
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Thanks for the report, Mille. Can you share more detail about the deepened step?
No big deal, really, and easy to do. Using new sharp breakaway cutter I sliced thin wedges starting 10cm / 4" backwards toward the step until it was 6mm / 1/4" deep.
mille is offline Find More Posts by mille
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
see if i can wake this thread up a bit....just order a guanli through HK with the understanding that most people consider it rubbish and more work than its worth ( i like a challange). after review of almost every youtube video of this guanli compared to parkzone....are we seeing some lifting action from horizontal stab??? seems as if in most vids the guanli has tendency to pull tail up first driving nose down and keeping plane from ever getting up on step....more power added more tail lift exacerbating nose in usually resulting in a "hop and splash". is this a horizontal incidence issue or unwanted lifting tail possibly??? just thinking. btw i plan to deepen step, glass bottom, loose outriggers and wing struts. will be using my fall back great for everything 2826-6 2200kv from rctimers (only have about 6 of um laying around lol). might be helpful if some someone with more money than i laid out the parkzone and guanli side by side, it will be easier to draw conclusions as what needs to happen to this plane fly reliably
mightymouse7717 is offline Find More Posts by mightymouse7717
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
excuse me if this has been addressed already, still reading through thread but just an observation, the parkzone icon ailerons are at the wing tips and this guanli has them much further inboard. has anyone tried cutting new aileron surfaces at wing tips and re-tasking existing aileron surfaces for flaps???
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
guanli is horrible, please dont buy from them.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
guanli is horrible, please dont buy from them.
believe me man, I know but this will be my first waterplane and being as such I didn't want to drop a ton of cash. intentions will be to get comfortable with a cheap "throw away" plane first and them move on to a nicer balsa kit of some sort. I am mostly a scratchbuilder so arriving at solutions for any given airframe keeps me challenged. this guanli rubbish is very flyable......only after major hours on the bench and several huge modifications but this to i am used to....both my bixlers had 15+ hours of mods prior to seeing a second of airtime and as we all know you can pretty much throw those in the air straight out of box.....LIVE FOR MODDING.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:32 PM
Spain, Community of Madrid, Cobeña
Joined Dec 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse7717 View Post
excuse me if this has been addressed already, still reading through thread but just an observation, the parkzone icon ailerons are at the wing tips and this guanli has them much further inboard. has anyone tried cutting new aileron surfaces at wing tips and re-tasking existing aileron surfaces for flaps???
Yes, someone has done that and solved many flying issues. Video here:

Get rid if the Tip Stalls/ GuanLi Icon A5 / Flown on 1600MAH 3S LIPO 30C (3 min 47 sec)

Has anyone tried this plane recently? I found it here with some modifications already made, but I don't know if the shop is reliable (theoretically Taobao is). I also don't understand the Chinese text on the modification pics, so I don't understand all of the modifications made. If anyone knows Chinese a translation would be great Not that much text really, but since it's on the pics I can't move it to a translator

From the videos I've seen it seems like this plane is a no-go from shop, but with the bottom cut to make a step of 10mm and the ailerons cut at the edges of the wings this plane can be a good flyer. I've been looking for something cheap that can carry a go-pro eventually, and I think this seaplane can be good with the mentioned mods.
chech is offline Find More Posts by chech
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Just did a little reading and this hass me confused, My plane with all it's gear is 1100g (1.1kg). I don't run the braces on the wings or the wing pontoons either, The two props I have are on the motor, ie. 4 blade prop with the 1200kv/rpm motor I think it's the one it comes with and I cruise and land at about 1/4 throttle. On takeoff from hand launch it's straight as an arrow with no dip in the launch. Great stuff . What is a little disturbing I find is that you guys say the COG is at 55mm from the LE on the plane. This I think is the problem with most of your planes in that I have my GOG for for the Icon at 70mm WT ! cripes ! .

Yep my COG is at 70mm the elevator feathers are dead straight too when flying and not kicked up or down in the slightest. It's easy to find in that its the front of the servo wire lead exit in the body where it steps down.

Mabey someone could try it like that but since you all have like 300g less weight in your planes then don't take off at full power she will either nose over or just convert to lift and you will be racing to push the nose down.

This is just how I have it setup at the moment and much further back and the plane begins to have real problems again. Too far foward then the plane just wants to wiggle and is near impossible to get it to handle well.

Hope it helps ya all

Mr_B
8)
//
I dont see too much about this post. If it flies well with the CG at 70mm, that would explain all the probs I'm having with the CG at 55mm. I'm going to try that new CG. Has anyone else got an opinion on this or tried it at 70mm?
I also noticed a bit of anhedral on the wings so I've introduced dihedral from the flaps (ailerons) out. I'll see how that works out too.

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
Buychina.com is reliable. I suggest to buy light or small RC Parts for shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chech View Post
Yes, someone has done that and solved many flying issues. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0EkdzDzmv4

Has anyone tried this plane recently? I found it here with some modifications already made, but I don't know if the shop is reliable (theoretically Taobao is). I also don't understand the Chinese text on the modification pics, so I don't understand all of the modifications made. If anyone knows Chinese a translation would be great Not that much text really, but since it's on the pics I can't move it to a translator

From the videos I've seen it seems like this plane is a no-go from shop, but with the bottom cut to make a step of 10mm and the ailerons cut at the edges of the wings this plane can be a good flyer. I've been looking for something cheap that can carry a go-pro eventually, and I think this seaplane can be good with the mentioned mods.
Buychina.com is reliable ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...656651&page=62)
I suggest that we can get some light or small RC Parts to get a low shipping cost.

Or, you can not pay for the high shipping cost. For most of RC are quite large in Volume and weight.

For some suitable RC parts can view:
http://www.buychina.com/multirotors
popdressesto is offline Find More Posts by popdressesto
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
I dont see too much about this post. If it flies well with the CG at 70mm, that would explain all the probs I'm having with the CG at 55mm. I'm going to try that new CG. Has anyone else got an opinion on this or tried it at 70mm?
I also noticed a bit of anhedral on the wings so I've introduced dihedral from the flaps (ailerons) out. I'll see how that works out too.

Luke
Anyone still following, 70mm CG was a no no for me. Unbelievable lack of control, upside down tip stall. Managed to get it back (upside down!), reset to 55mm CG and not so bad then (might be the dihedral I put in).

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Mar 01, 2014, 11:22 PM
Middle Tennessee
Joined Feb 2009
54 Posts
Icon A5 Instruction Sheet/Book

If anyone still has an instruction sheet or booklet for the Guan Li Icon A5....could you make me a copy or scan into a pdf file? I believe I have the latest version that does have the elevator servo mounted in the vertical stab. I picked up this model from an estate and think I have it ready to fly but wanted to check the book first.
PM me if you can help. THANKS,
yodada
yodada is offline Find More Posts by yodada