HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Icon A5 Guan'Li

Jim, I am so sorry for even putting that message up there, I believe I typing that message with another in mind Please forgive me for that garrble. I just bought one and have the same problem getting off the water and did the same thing, found a calmer part off the pond like glass and it just wouldn't do it. I made a couple of small jet ski jumps but that was it. I also have been having problems with my elevators. I believe all the length of the push rod and those tight bends mess it up. I must have tore it up and down 10 times, I had no elevator from the day I bought it, maybe 5%-10% and I removed the clay too....! Well I burnt up my ecs but Nitro send me one for $14:00 and I fixing to buy another plane from them too, I got the fever. For my Elevator problem I mounted the same type of set up like they have on the wing......PERFECT MY BOY......I don't know NitroPlanes didn't think of this this to reduce all the slack and much quicker action, very responsive The ICON A5 draws a lot of attention and is a really nice looking plane. O by the way I'm living in the corn fields Morton, Illinois. I first started to saw the fuse about half way to see if I could reroute some tubing or something and then I thought of doing the wing set up right on the stabilizer. The only benefit from cut my fuse in two, was that now I see whats in there which was worth it to me and now I have a way to route my servo wire without getting wet. I have a ton of pictures and will be glad to share them with you....Thanks a Bunch....Joe Connick...Josephconnick@yahoo.com..........Peace out
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:49 PM
A&P/IA
chevronflyer's Avatar
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
553 Posts
i am about to order one or two of these as well... i never expect much from the stock servos esc and motors on these china planes, i always like adding piece of mind by putting in my own electronics....

i have flown seaplanes for over 10 years now, (lanier seamaster kit built, seawind, toledo special on floats, great planes J3 cub) if i can offer some advice?

planes like this where the fuse sits in the water i always find you have to hold up elevator while taxiing,
neutral or slight up when first applying throttle on takeoff
then neutral or slight down elevator until you get to speed and are on step
then apply up elevator again to rotate.

every time i have flown a seabird and just punched it while holding full up or punched it and left elevator neutral and then applied full up to rotate it always did exactly what you all are describing, never lifted or just skipped a few times making it seem it was underpowered,

water surface tension really acts like friction in holding your plane down even with proper power.

let me know if holding slight down elevator untill you are up to speed before applying up helps.
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
.. I have a ton of pictures and will be glad to share them with you....Thanks a Bunch....Joe Connick...Josephconnick@yahoo.com..........Peace out
Joseph what an interestig reply.. i am really sorry to hear you are having issues on take off with yours too. As to the Elevator i noticed a lot of flex in the rod at the servo end and with nylon tie wraps around the ESC to secure the control rod. I was able to stiffen it up and take out the rod flex hence restore the elevator end point adjust to about + or - 1/2 inch throws I believe..
If you find a secret to getting it the thrust it needs on take off reliably, please let me know.. as to the other things.. please do post some pics Ok?

hope you don't have to go swimming for it often

Regards, JiMS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:19 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevronflyer View Post
i am about to order one or two of these as well... i never expect much from the stock servos esc and motors on these china planes, i always like adding piece of mind by putting in my own electronics....

i have flown seaplanes for over 10 years now, (lanier seamaster kit built, seawind, toledo special on floats, great planes J3 cub) if i can offer some advice?

planes like this where the fuse sits in the water i always find you have to hold up elevator while taxiing,
neutral or slight up when first applying throttle on takeoff
then neutral or slight down elevator until you get to speed and are on step
then apply up elevator again to rotate.

every time i have flown a seabird and just punched it while holding full up or punched it and left elevator neutral and then applied full up to rotate it always did exactly what you all are describing, never lifted or just skipped a few times making it seem it was underpowered,

water surface tension really acts like friction in holding your plane down even with proper power.

let me know if holding slight down elevator untill you are up to speed before applying up helps.
Excellent Tip Chevron .. i will try it that way, and I think you are correct, and what you are saying about giving it a little up initially then down till the plane speeds up and is on step before attempting a lift off makes sense. PLEASE DO get one and tell us your thoughts on if it is or is not or isn't under powered then Ok? .. i do have another Catalina PBY and it likes to simply jump up and out of the water with 1/2 throttle and a little up on the elevator after just three or 4 feet and more importantly it's got the thrust to climb right up..

this ICON A5 i feel I think, after scooting all around with varying elevator and thrust levels.. needs a more powerful motor but I haven't carved it open to figure out how to replace it.. the two fuse halves were glued around it and would I believe need to be cut open again to get the motor out..

I'm Eager to hear your 1st hand maiden accounts .. I am also planning to dissect mine at some point and swap in a bigger motor in it..

Take care.
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
Registered User
kitaro's Avatar
Italy, Tuscany
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Excellent Tip Chevron .. i will try it that way, and I think you are correct, and what you are saying about giving it a little up initially then down till the plane speeds up and is on step before attempting a lift off makes sense. PLEASE DO get one and tell us your thoughts on if it is or is not or isn't under powered then Ok? .. i do have another Catalina PBY and it likes to simply jump up and out of the water with 1/2 throttle and a little up on the elevator after just three or 4 feet and more importantly it's got the thrust to climb right up..

this ICON A5 i feel I think, after scooting all around with varying elevator and thrust levels.. needs a more powerful motor but I haven't carved it open to figure out how to replace it.. the two fuse halves were glued around it and would I believe need to be cut open again to get the motor out..

I'm Eager to hear your 1st hand maiden accounts .. I am also planning to dissect mine at some point and swap in a bigger motor in it..

Take care.
JimS
but....nobody test it and done a video to landing on water and not snow???'

somebody bought in a different shops??

The model naked (ARF with no electronics inside) cost 30$ and 80 ARTF....

i think to buy one naked.....and try it!!!
kitaro is offline Find More Posts by kitaro
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitaro View Post
but....nobody test it and done a video to landing on water and not snow???'

somebody bought in a different shops??

The model naked (ARF with no electronics inside) cost 30$ and 80 ARTF....

i think to buy one naked.....and try it!!!
please send the url link to where you can buy it for $30 USD I might get a second one fro that price it's worth it..and I't put a decent motor and ESC in it.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Jim, I am in the process of finishing my A5. I just can't get it to get off the water, I got plenty thrust and that is what puzzels me. The A5 has plenty of power, I dunno. I could not get the max out of my rudder or elevator. So I put servos on the tail and going to operate like that. It bums me out, I even have a set up for wheels if I choose to go that way. I cannot find any information either except the same old stuff. I don't know what else to do. Hey can you hand lanuch this plane? If you find anything out let me know....joe
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
Jim, I am in the process of finishing my A5. I just can't get it to get off the water, I got plenty thrust and that is what puzzels me. The A5 has plenty of power, I dunno. I could not get the max out of my rudder or elevator. So I put servos on the tail and going to operate like that. It bums me out, I even have a set up for wheels if I choose to go that way. I cannot find any information either except the same old stuff. I don't know what else to do. Hey can you hand lanuch this plane? If you find anything out let me know....joe
Joe,
well I have not flown mine since i got a 8X 5 three bladed prop.. I'm really into sloping not seaplanes.. .. I hope that prop might help.. is yours taking on water .. mine did and I sealed the antenna hole and everything but it still does.. i think that extra weight is a big factor.. I don't want to hand launch it.. but may have to. I think the only thing that may fixit is replacing the motor and ESC with something bigger.. I have about a +/- 1/2 inch or so elevator throw that should be enough.. and the tip we got here earlier to keep the nose Up initially when you 1st hit it then back down till it gains speed and the plane is up on step.. before pulling back on the stick might help too .. Problem I often see is the floats on the wing tend to drag too.. and she'll spin.. but I do know this .. if you pull up too quick before she's moving fast the plane is so unstable it will tip-stall and flip over.. not good for the receiver or servos at all.. Good Luck.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Hey Buddy, for leaks I think I found all mine hot glue all the way around the floats we had to glue on the side with the three pieces of wood, I found water coming over the float and seeping in. I have a very small pond in the back yard and I'll dip it in there to check for leaks. It's ashame because I've never flown it, it's brand new and I've already sawed the thing in two. Hey do you think the wing floats are causing drag? I was going to put a blow dryer on high and pull them out since I stuck them in with glue. I had to buy a new esc on my first trip out and I really don't want to be doing that every trip. When I find some thing out I'll sure let you know.........joe
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:07 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
... When I find some thing out I'll sure let you know.........joe

Please do..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
A&P/IA
chevronflyer's Avatar
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
553 Posts
Ok Guys, i ordered the icon a5 from nitroplanes today... when it arrives I will give it a thorough inspection and run all the numbers on power amps watts ect and let you know what I think about it being under powered or not, wether it can hand launch, and most importantly i will test and video it on the water to see if it will fly off water stock.. i will keep you all informed.
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Pilot error big time
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:38 AM
Registered User
kitaro's Avatar
Italy, Tuscany
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
please send the url link to where you can buy it for $30 USD I might get a second one fro that price it's worth it..and I't put a decent motor and ESC in it.
hello....
the model can be buy from 2 Chinese shop
66$ ARF naked included shipping cost (here in Italy)
80$ RTF

contacts them from skype
links:

1) http://www.along-rc.com/english/list.asp?id=218 (skype wolfmodel)
2) http://www.zs-gl.com/1/en/productsho...id=44&sortid=1 (skype Anna)

let us know total price in US and please...some videos in water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
kitaro is offline Find More Posts by kitaro
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:52 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,012 Posts
Watching with much interest. Would love to take this one on and get it to ROW. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevronflyer View Post
Ok Guys, i ordered the icon a5 from nitroplanes today... when it arrives I will give it a thorough inspection and run all the numbers on power amps watts ect and let you know what I think about it being under powered or not, wether it can hand launch, and most importantly i will test and video it on the water to see if it will fly off water stock.. i will keep you all informed.
Cool!.. I'm dying to see the numbers..and the video! I will try to get a video soon too.. I hope someone shows how to dissect it to access the motor mount to replace the motor.. mine went swimming a couple times so will likely corrode away soon and need replacement for that .. it no other reason..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Icon A5 (real airplane) zaguruinzasky FPV Aircraft 34 Dec 24, 2010 12:59 PM
Discussion Interesting new LSA amphibian in the works: The Icon A5 Thomas B Waterplanes 30 May 14, 2010 02:00 AM
Wanted Icon Ballast Tube atjurhs Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Jan 17, 2010 05:45 PM
Sold 2 NIB ICON Kits termite Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 07, 2010 06:04 AM
Discussion Icon A5 EliasRR Mexico 4 Aug 02, 2009 02:33 AM