HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:41 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Viper
I just looked here:

http://hobbypartz.ecommerce-site-sea...bypartz.com%2F

and see this motor..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m20-opti...010-910kv.html
but wonder how you get the shaft to poke out the other side ?

where did you order yours.. is it the same 480 Hobbypartz is offering??
does yours have the shaft in the same side of motor as is the mounting holes as do these?
Curious
JimS
Jim, the engine I picked is on the Hobby Partz site... The first two on the site for 480s are not the ones I purchased for 2 reasons, a ribbom power cable and the engine as I recall was bult to have a short lenght , but a very large radius.. too large to fit.

If you move to the next 2 Exceed Opti 480 Outrunner Brushless engines, those are the ones I slected at 17 bucks and their diamter is just 1 mm larger than the stick... and a a few MM long. You do need to go back at least 53 MM.. I did 55MM, and will need to fill in 2 -3 MM in back to better brace the fire wall, maybe 1/16th sheet nylon.

Disclaimer: I dont have a clue, thje rest I have deduced as to my mounting and the only way this can work..

The shaft on this engine comes sticking out the back, by the 3 wires(which part does not rotate. that goto the ESC What you see as a shaft and its spare of the same lenght and diameter are completely smooth basically and you CANT mount a prop on them, in either case they only roate when the large wire mass rotates. You may be able to undu the set screw and push it forward... not required however.

The shaft at its rear end is held in place with a set screw. I have the shaft as is sticking thru a hole in the fire wall at rear, with teflon ring.

My fire wall is 14.5 MM think... 2 sheets of .25 Inch Balsa biderectionally glued together. 1/4" Plywood may be better. Even though you will need in that case an angle brace. I have a 1/16 inch nylon sheet on the floor of the engine compartment. ( Next time i will use engined to make the engine fire wall adjustable as to angle... as a thought perhaps..
..

On my fire wall I left at the bottom pertruding on each side small legs and dremmed a slot in the compartment wall for the legs to fit an be epxoed in.

THE KIT comes with the X motor MOUNT AND a prop ADAPTER KIT, with a 5MM shaft( normal for an engine this powerfull).

The prop adpater fits on the front of the engine (provided you leave the axis shaft as is, in rear. It is thick CNC 3/8" inches with a 5MM treaded shaft held on by 3 screws to the front of the motor, along with a prop washer that fits and blue machined prop hub. The shaft cant go thru it. That is where you must mount the prop since that the only way the parts fit. With all of the pertruding forward from the firewall, the fire wall must be subtantial and tied to the sides and rear of engined compartment with balsa and epoxy ( not yet epoxied. Will take engine off ount, and expoxy Balsa( make water tight and epoxy inside of the npow large engine campartment. I added a .35 inch EPP foam on the engine hatch base and on top of the engine compartment, the engine hood will fit on. R EPP is much easier to work with. Have coated hood and out side of engine area with a water based caoting for foam, than can be apllied upto 3/8" thick and can be sanded... to make the dremmeled out areas stronger and to try to smooth this much larger engine compartment into the feselage. Butying min mages in EPP foal on Hatch sided bottom and on engne compartment walls , then expoxing in to hold hood on.

I see no easy wat to mount fire wall properly and have all angles correct without engine mounted and braced to the rigght angle, so it mustbe wrapped for the process and connected to my new wore harnes(a lthough I could unscrew (2 are bolts) the engine(all my components are now set where they can be pluggedan unpluuged.

So no you were close, but those were the wrong Exceed OPti 480 engines...

Its the next 2 that come up.

I should also like Chevron be able to swing a 9" prop.


Regards
.
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:50 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Viper
I just looked here:

http://hobbypartz.ecommerce-site-sea...bypartz.com%2F

and see this motor..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m20-opti...010-910kv.html
but wonder how you get the shaft to poke out the other side ?

where did you order yours.. is it the same 480 Hobbypartz is offering??
does yours have the shaft in the same side of motor as is the mounting holes as do these?
Curious
JimS
Jim, the engine I picked is on the Hobby Partz site... The first two on the site for 480s are not the ones I purchased for 2 reasons, a ribbom power cable and the engine as I recall was bult to have a short lenght , but a very large radius.. too large to fit.

If you move to the next 2 Exceed Opti 480 Outrunner Brushless engines, those are the ones I slected at 17 bucks and their diamter is just 1 mm larger than the stick... and a a few MM long. You do need to go back at least 53 MM.. I did 55MM, and will need to fill in 2 -3 MM in back to better brace the fire wall, maybe 1/16th sheet nylon.

Disclaimer: I dont have a clue, thje rest I have deduced as to my mounting and the only way this can work..

The shaft on this engine comes sticking out the back, by the 3 wires(which part does not rotate. that goto the ESC What you see as a shaft and its spare of the same lenght and diameter are completely smooth basically and you CANT mount a prop on them, in either case they only roate when the large wire mass rotates. You may be able to undu the set screw and push it forward... not required however.

The shaft at its rear end is held in place with a set screw. I have the shaft as is sticking thru a hole in the fire wall at rear, with teflon ring.

My fire wall is 14.5 MM think... 2 sheets of .25 Inch Balsa biderectionally glued together. 1/4" Plywood may be better. Even though you will need in that case an angle brace. I have a 1/16 inch nylon sheet on the floor of the engine compartment. ( Next time i will use engined to make the engine fire wall adjustable as to angle... as a thought perhaps..
..

On my fire wall I left at the bottom pertruding on each side small legs and dremmed a slot in the compartment wall for the legs to fit an be epxoed in.

THE KIT comes with the X motor MOUNT AND a prop ADAPTER KIT, with a 5MM shaft( normal for an engine this powerfull).

The prop adpater fits on the front of the engine (provided you leave the axis shaft as is, in rear. It is thick CNC 3/8" inches with a 5MM treaded shaft held on by 3 screws to the front of the motor, along with a prop washer that fits and blue machined prop hub. The shaft cant go thru it. That is where you must mount the prop since that the only way the parts fit. With all of the pertruding forward from the firewall, the fire wall must be subtantial and tied to the sides and rear of engined compartment with balsa and epoxy ( not yet epoxied. Will take engine off ount, and expoxy Balsa( make water tight and epoxy inside of the npow large engine campartment. I added a .35 inch EPP foam on the engine hatch base and on top of the engine compartment, the engine hood will fit on. R EPP is much easier to work with. Have coated hood and out side of engine area with a water based caoting for foam, than can be apllied upto 3/8" thick and can be sanded... to make the dremmeled out areas stronger and to try to smooth this much larger engine compartment into the feselage. Butying min mages in EPP foal on Hatch sided bottom and on engne compartment walls , then expoxing in to hold hood on.

I see no easy wat to mount fire wall properly and have all angles correct without engine mounted and braced to the rigght angle, so it mustbe wrapped for the process and connected to my new wore harnes(a lthough I could unscrew (2 are bolts) the engine(all my components are now set where they can be pluggedan unpluuged.

So no you were close, but those were the wrong Exceed OPti 480 engines...

Its the next 2 that come up.

I should also like Chevron be able to swing a 9" prop.


Regards
.
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:14 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
looks like a new one is coming out by NFD hobby: http://nfdhobby.com/en/c_3.asp?lx_id=56 a video is there too of the big version (with retracts?)

Dak
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:17 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
looks like a new one is coming out by NFD hobby: http://nfdhobby.com/en/c_3.asp?lx_id=56 a video is there too of the big version (with retracts?)

Dak
Its huge! with 4 times the power as our ICON A5! Note the 60 AMP ESC... ours came with a 25A.

I dont Know what 790 Yuan converts to, plus shipping... and not much info there to go on
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:04 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALVIPER View Post
Its huge! with 4 times the power as our ICON A5! Note the 60 AMP ESC... ours came with a 25A.

I dont Know what 790 Yuan converts to, plus shipping... and not much info there to go on
790 Yuan = $115.6323 U.S. dollars!

Figure about $30-50 bucks for shipping so $170?
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:18 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALVIPER View Post
Jim, the engine I picked is on the Hobby Partz site... The first two on the site for 480s are not the ones I purchased ..
So no you were close, but those were the wrong Exceed OPti 480 engines...

Its the next 2 that come up.

Regards
.
Viper
thanks i see why I was confused now.. I believe you meant the: Optima 400 Brushless Motor 2215-1050KV 105W D:28,L:30,shaft:3.17,

I was looking for an Opti 480 not this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m72-opti...15-1050kv.html

amazing how attaching a link can save so much typing a verbiage.. and it works in any language.. Looking fwd to seeing yous fly like it's new big brother on wheels.. Good Luck, and thanks again for pointing it out.. I will order one.. looks pretty good..and the price is right.
Regards
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
No Jim, Its a 480! Goto the Motor section on the website. select 480 size motors.

4 of the blue 480 Exceed motors come up in that class... 2 are 250 watts and 2 are 275 watts.. the seocnd two that are under 16 bucks is what you want

I apolgize .. its an Exceed Alpha motor...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/480brmo.html
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
790 Yuan = $115.6323 U.S. dollars!

Figure about $30-50 bucks for shipping so $170?
Ok, but it appears that it does not come with a receiver/transmitter( not that the one with Icon A5 was any good).


Is it a KIT, its not RTF. No test flight videos. Have you heard of the company? Direct orders can take 30 days. it comes damaged, who do you call...

Whats it made out of. The details are sketchy. We got stuck with a lemon that we saw fly, from the largest RC importer in the country and they have good looking girls holding the Planes!

How about spare parts? How about if they take your money and dont send it... no legal regress.

Otherwise it sounds great!

Pls order it and tell us what happens... show a video. The ICON AS will re-appear, with a bigger engine and steped hull in a few months and thats why its still on the website. Next guys will get what we should have gotten for 20 bucks more. Heck we are telling them what changes need to be made.

Regards
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALVIPER View Post
No Jim, Its a 480! Goto the Motor section on the website. select 480 size motors.

4 of the blue 480 Exceed motors come up in that class... 2 are 250 watts and 2 are 275 watts.. the seocnd two that are under 16 bucks is what you want

I apolgize .. its an Exceed Alpha motor...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/480brmo.html
Viper,
perhaps this isn't working cause you are in UK or NZ or something and I'm in the US seeing a different view but when i go to the 480 links you sent .. the Optima (not Opti) motors there (which btw are all Blue) have the shaft coming out the wrong side of the motor not the required side of the motor to X mount it against the notch cut in the fuse ... they are all protruding into the mount and on the same side as the X mount instead .. this is what I see Here (for example) ..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html


Please post a link to a single motor .. and a photo so we can get in sync Ok?
I am not sure why this is so hard.. but am sure you are just trying to help..
-----

Looking more carefully at the photo it appears you can simply cut the shaft off completely and the 4 Machine screws mount the Prop adapter to the correct / opposite side of the motor body (not the shaft itself) . that would work.. Thanks.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jun 13, 2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Ok I just figured it out.. now I UNDERSTAND
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
here is a video:
http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0104/v/...did=-&showAd=0
All those things are true about no name company, ordering from china, etc but it might be a winner! Like you said somebody has to buy one and see... Oh, and it is made from EPO foam.
Dak
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
I have seen people flip the motor, what i mean is take it apart and turn the guts aroud.
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
could someone help me out I want to buy a radio and I'm lost when it comes to this. I have 5 planes and 5 radios all on the same channel. joe
connick50 is offline Find More Posts by connick50
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Dakrat's Avatar
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
You need to flip the shaft: to remove the c-clip then tap out shaft , try not to lose internal spacers reassemble.

Think about some type of computer radio on 2.4. No interference, more programming options: v-tail, helo engine curves, everons, etc. I like Spektrum, I got a DX6I it has a lot of different receivers to choose from.
Dakrat is online now Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:39 PM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by connick50 View Post
could someone help me out I want to buy a radio and I'm lost when it comes to this. I have 5 planes and 5 radios all on the same channel. joe
Joe,
I like 2.4 Gig for many reasons.. but you might want to ask in the Radio Thread.. not here.. personally i have had great luck with very cheap Assan receivers and their 2.4 Transmitter modules plugged into in either JR or Hitec Optic 6 Txmtrs, but I must caution you can spend big bucks to get converted.

I'd read this :
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/2.4ghzshootout.shtml
then
I would ask here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/
and here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-gen...ment-fs-w-215/
and in the Assan thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=assan

If I had deep pockets and pricey planes, I'd get an Aurora 9.. but i refuse to pay so much for parkflier receivers..and do not have radio link issues..

Regards,\
JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jun 14, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: asdded review thread
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:39 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Viper,
perhaps this isn't working cause you are in UK or NZ or something and I'm in the US seeing a different view but when i go to the 480 links you sent .. the Optima (not Opti) motors there (which btw are all Blue) have the shaft coming out the wrong side of the motor not the required side of the motor to X mount it against the notch cut in the fuse ... they are all protruding into the mount and on the same side as the X mount instead .. this is what I see Here (for example) ..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html


Please post a link to a single motor .. and a photo so we can get in sync Ok?
I am not sure why this is so hard.. but am sure you are just trying to help..
-----

Looking more carefully at the photo it appears you can simply cut the shaft off completely and the 4 Machine screws mount the Prop adapter to the correct / opposite side of the motor body (not the shaft itself) . that would work.. Thanks.. JimS
Jim, I'm in USA! Here is the link to the motor

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html

Regards
THEREALVIPER is offline Find More Posts by THEREALVIPER
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Icon A5 (real airplane) zaguruinzasky FPV Aircraft 34 Dec 24, 2010 01:59 PM
Discussion Interesting new LSA amphibian in the works: The Icon A5 Thomas B Waterplanes 30 May 14, 2010 03:00 AM
Wanted Icon Ballast Tube atjurhs Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Jan 17, 2010 06:45 PM
Sold 2 NIB ICON Kits termite Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jan 07, 2010 07:04 AM
Discussion Icon A5 EliasRR Mexico 4 Aug 02, 2009 03:33 AM