HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 10:19 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
I have one, but rather not use it if I don't have to. This fancy new radio should be able to do the for me right? How would I go about using two channels for flaps, if that's what I need to do? Still want to have elevator compensation active, and be able to still use the "Auto-Land" function.. seems pretty cool
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,890 Posts
Y for flaps works if both servos are mounted with their output shaft pointing to the same wingtip.
If mounted pointing to opposite wing tips use reverser or separate channel with mix(which allows fine adjustment to equalize each flap position)
Don't forget to slow the servo for flaps, makes for smoother transition & looks cool
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old May 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
Question: I bought another RX and will be using this radio in my Stinson Reliant. Flaps and ailerons. I used the "Normal" wing setting as opposed to Flaperon, per the manual's instructions. Everything works fine, flaps are slowed down and elevator compensation is dial in, but my question is, how do I get aileron differential now? The manual briefly talks about using dual channels but doesn't explain. Should I use this to get aileron differential? How??

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,890 Posts
I always use mechanical differential by offsetting the so there is more up than down. ie if on the lower surface of the wing; rotate the output arm 1 cog towards the wing leading edge.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:11 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
Thanks David, that makes sense, but still doesn't explain the dual channel feature.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Is the timer beep louder than the dx7? When I fly near gas guys I can't hear it go off...
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:28 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
Thanks David, that makes sense, but still doesn't explain the dual channel feature.
Steve,

Based on my experience with the 9303, you will get the aileron differential menu in the function list if you either set the Wing TYPE to FLAPERON or if you dual/mate another channel to the aileron channel. To do the dual/mate, you first have to INH the output of a channel (GEAR or one of the AUX's) in the Devic.SEL menu so it is available to be paired with the aileron. (Page A-14 of the 9503 manual)

Allan
AWorrest is online now Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:30 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
Steve,

Based on my experience with the 9303, you will get the aileron differential menu in the function list if you either set the Wing TYPE to FLAPERON or if you dual/mate another channel to the aileron channel. To do the dual/mate, you first have to INH the output of a channel (GEAR or one of the AUX's) in the Devic.SEL menu so it is available to be paired with the aileron. (Page A-14 of the 9503 manual)

Allan
Thanks Allan. Then I assume I need to plug one aileron into the aileron slot and the other one into whatever channel I mate to the aileron correct?? I can see why you need so many channels.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:59 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
879 Posts
Yes, the left aileron will be whatever channel you dual/mated to the aileron channel. If you go to the MONITOR screen, the mated channel name will probably be changed to LAIL. It is easy to know what the function of each channel is by using the MONITOR menu. The first channel is in the upper left-hand corner. Below that is channel #2, etc. The fifth channel is the upper right. Below that is channel #6, etc.

If you dual/mate one of the AUX channels to the FLAP, you can eliminate the need for a Y-harness. Choosing AUX3 to mate with the flap channel has additional benefits. It will allow you to use the AUX TRIM. This trim allows you to trim the flaps in an aileron fashion so you won't have to use the SUB-TRIM menu to separately adjust each flap channel. (Again I'm assuming the 9503 programming is the same as the 9303.)

Allan
AWorrest is online now Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:23 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Servo speed

Question for more experienced 9505 guys- How can I regulate the speed of deploying flaperons without slowing down aileron response? Am I missing something big here?
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Question for more experienced 9505 guys- How can I regulate the speed of deploying flaperons without slowing down aileron response? Am I missing something big here?
MR2
You can set the flap "Delay" explicitly in the "FLAP SYS" menu. This is different than setting the individual servo speeds that can be done elsewhere. The result is the flaps go slowly, but the ailerons do not.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:40 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
Thanks a lot Allan, that's great info, not in the manual.

I have figured out the flaps and how to slow them down, Allan is correct, it is all in the Flap SYS section. The elevator compensation will also slow down to match the flaps.

This is the coolest radio I have ever owned.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 06:12 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
This thread is a pool of 9 channel knowledge
I am enjoying my X9503 a lot, nice, nice radio
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Jun 04, 2010, 06:40 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
Steve,

Allan
On my 9303 I have used a mix for flaps. I use the gear channel for 1 flap so I can equalize for unequal geometry in the hinge of this eflite Beaver. Is there an easy way to in activate the Gear switch?
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:01 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
You can set the flap "Delay" explicitly in the "FLAP SYS" menu. This is different than setting the individual servo speeds that can be done elsewhere. The result is the flaps go slowly, but the ailerons do not.
I will definitely try that! Thanks for the help!
MR2
"This thread is a pool of 9 channel knowledge
I am enjoying my X9503 a lot, nice, nice radio:"

The 9505 is really sweet. I'd love to see someone do a DVD overview of programming features. Maybe one DVD for airplanes, one for helis and one for gliders. The manual seems pretty comprehensive, but I'd hardly call it intuitive. The best thing to do for now is play with the Tx and hit on 9305 users for tips.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Last edited by minirips2; Jun 04, 2010 at 07:09 PM.