HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

JR X9503 2.4GHz Transmitter with Spektrum's DSM2® Technology Review

Revision 3.0 of JRs quintessentially popular X9303 appears on the scene as the JR X9503. We take a fresh look at this thrice updated favorite.

Splash

Introduction

Channels:Nine
Model Memories:Fifty
Band:2.400 to 2.483GHz
Modulation type:Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum DSM2®/ DSM1® protocol
Spectral capacity:40 simultaneous systems
Resolution:2048 with R921 receiver
Transmitter current:180mA/DSM2® 280mA/ DSM1®
Transmitter Battery:8 cell 1500mAH NiMH
Manufacturer:JR Radios
Available From:Your Local Hobby Retailer or Horizon Hobby
Price:$549.00

Time flies when you are, er, flying! I can remember when JR first introduced the 9303 transmitter. It was released prior to the onset of the 2.4GHz radio revolution and as such, was only available on the 72MHz band. I was always attracted to the features list of the 9303 but never took the plunge. When JR updated the 9303 to utilize the worry-free technology of Spektrum's DSM2®, I again found myself scheming to purchase this feature-laden transmitter. However, an unbeatable price on a new Spektrum DX7 transmitter intercepted my 9303 dollars. The shiny new DX7 managed to distract me from any further dreams of owning a 9303. I actually fell in love with my DX7, and it became my principal transmitter for several years, providing 100% worry free Spektrum DSM2® flying for the entire duration.

My Spidey senses had been tingling lately, telling me that Spektrum would probably bring a new transmitter to market soon and that it would assuredly expand upon the DX7's features and capabilities. After several years of rock solid and secure performance from my DX7, I was ready for a more advanced and feature-filled transmitter. I had outgrown my DX7 in at least one way the day I found myself using the twentieth model memory. From that point forward, I had to bump older models out of its memory banks to clear space for my new ones. It seemed impossible but with the recent boom in EDFs catching my fancy and the amazing diversity of Bind-n-Fly micro planes and helis, I was suddenly and surprisingly out of model memories in my DX7.

And with no way to connect it to my PC to save the model memories, each bumped model represented programming efforts ultimately lost and an eventual re-maiden of sorts were I ever to again reenter that model into the DX7's memory. Having assembled several models with retracts, I also yearned for a radio with variable servo speed functionality, in order to slow the operation of the mechanical retracts for more realistic and scale looking operation. I was also beginning to wish for a couple more channels, as several of my more complex models had chewed through seven channels and left me wanting for a few more. Fast forward to 2010 and another update to the enduring JR 9303 transmitter. I again found myself eyeing interestedly the new JR X9503 transmitter. FIFTY model memories?! A back lit LCD display?! Built in Spektrum DSM2® technology? A throttle activated timer function?! Plus, all of the programming richness of the original 9303 and all at a price lower than the original 9303? What was not to love about it?!

NOTE: The JRX9503 is available in both a fixed wing and heli version. 95% of the models in my hangar are fixed wing, although I do have a couple of smaller electric helicopters. The X9503 also contains a very capable set of sailplane programming features. Though I have dabbled in some of the entry level sailplanes and gliders, I have yet to transition into the hard core and high tech world of composite sailplane airframes. This review will primarily focus on the fixed wing version of the 9503.

Box Contents

In The Box:

• X9503 Transmitter
  • JR R921 nine channel DSM2® receiver
  • AD35M05 120VAC charger
  • Switch harness and bind plug
  • Comprehensive black and white illustrated instruction manual
  • Registration card for JRs 3 year warranty

A Closer Look

The 9503 is available in either an airplane or helicopter version. The differences between the two versions are worth a brief mention here. Physically, a few of the switches are rearranged and the switch labels slightly are different. Though the programming between the two versions is fundamentally identical, the heli version defaults to the "Heli" as the model type, while the airplane version defaults to the "Acro" model. The heli version features a throttle stick sans the ratchet feature, while the airplane version has the ratchet in place. Either version of the 9503 can be used to fly any type of model, be it heli, acro or glider.

One thing I noticed in short order as I handled the 9503 is that is has a little more substantial weight and feel to it than my DX7. This may be that the transmitter battery in the 9503 is tightly nestled in a foam block and does not shift around at all.

The abundance of switches and sliders on the 9503 begins to hint at the robust and capable programming set that lies within. The trim tabs on the primary flight controls are digital, as is typically the case in a computerized transmitter. The throttle trim, however, is still analog. The primary reason for this is that most pilots rely on the immediate and visual feedback that is provided by an analog throttle trim. A digital trim tab is always located in the center of its travel, which can be problematic and confusing when dealing with the throttle channel. Keeping the throttle trim analog solves this dilemma.

Instruction Manuals

The black and white manual is photo-illustrated, and it also employs many drawings of the 9503 display screens being discussed. The manual’s pages are not conventionally numbered, but instead feature a letter prefix, followed by a number. Thus, the first part of the manual is assigned the letter "G". This first section covers the general information that relates to the 9503, no matter if you are programming a acro model, a heli or a sail plane. The "G" section is a total of 25 pages long. Following that section is the "A" section. This Acro section covers the programming that is unique to acrobatic, fixed wing, powered models. It is a total of 55 pages long. The next section is the "H" section. This helicopter programming section is a total of 48 pages long. The final section is the "S" or sailplane section. It is the longest section in the manual at 67 pages. The final part of the manual is dedicated to providing more information on the three year warranty that JR provides on the 9503. These 5 pages also include information from the FAA and FCC.

JR X9503 Instruction Manual

The front side of the single sheet of R921 receiver instructions includes installation information, binding instructions, an explanation of the fail-safe features and how to properly range check the receiver before flying. The flip side explains how the optional receiver log can be used and what the receivers power requirements are.

JR 921 Receiver Instructions

JR provides a formatted trio of setup sheets that are found in the manual, one at the end of each section. These sheets could be photocopied and used to keep a written record of each model programmed into the 9503 transmitter. Alternatively, JR offers a PC Data Transfer package that contains everything you need to connect the 9503 to a personal computer and backup its programming to a hard drive. (See section below for more information)

New Features

Back lit LCD Display

The most obvious and immediately apparent improvement to the 9503 transmitter is the back lit LCD screen. Several years back, folks online figured out how they could mod the LCD screen on the 9303 to add the back light feature. This how-to thread became so popular that it was granted "sticky" status in the Radios Forum on RCGroups. It is easy to see why this feature has become so important to many pilots, given the growing popularity of night flying. With the back lit LCD, you can literally program your transmitter in a pitch black room! The contrast of the LCD on the 9503 can be easily adjusted from the main display screen. Simply depress the rolling selector, roll it either way to adjust the contrast and then press it again to lock this new setting in place. There is no need to drill down into the menus for access to the contrast setting. To help conserve and extend the transmitter battery life, the back light will time out and shut off automatically until any button is again pressed. And now there is also no need to perform delicate electronic surgery on your transmitter to add a back light and at the same time risk the factory warranty.

Throttle activated timer start

With the X9503, you may never again utter the words "Oops, I forgot to start my countdown timer!" The 9503 adds a new feature to its Timer programming functions, with the ability to trigger a count down timer off of the throttle stick being advanced. The timer can be reset at will be pressing the "RST" button, at which point it will again trigger and start when the throttle is advanced a few clicks of the full off position. The audible alarm that sounds off as the timer nears zero is loud and features a descending pitch tone that really catches your ear and alerts you that the timer has almost expired.

The original 9303 timer functionality is still intact in the 9503 ...

...or use the new option of auto starting the timer with the throttle stick

50 model memories ...

Never say never! While the original X9303 transmitter had thirty model memories, the 9503 adds another twenty. My Spektrum DX7 had a mere twenty. While many modelers may be quick to say they would NEVER fill up twenty or thirty model memories, the proliferation of electric models in the last several years, along with the explosion of small indoor helicopters and airplanes that amazingly cost less than a hundred bucks each, almost ensures that you DO need a transmitter with plenty of model memories. Having an abundance of extra memories also allows you to create multiple memories for the same aircraft, permitting easy experimentation with alternate programming set ups.

A good case in point is the E-flite Beechcraft Bonanza ARF that I recently reviewed here on RCGroups. This model can be configured to use either a conventional tail or an optional V-tail. Swapping from one tail to the other involves a fair bit of reprogramming in the transmitter. After getting the V-tail all dialed in and trimmed for flight, I would hate to lose all of the settings entered into the model memory by reprogramming it for the standard tail. By setting up two different models in the transmitters memory, the programming for each tail can be retained. Simply copy the original model to a new slot and have at it! With fifty model memories at ones disposal, a modeler is empowered to experiment with different setups on any given airframe, with no need to make changes to an already proven and perfected model memory set up.

Lower price

Often, new features in a product and inflation combine to mean a new, higher price. This is not the case with the 9503 however! The listed retail price and street price that the 9503 can he picked up at is actually substantially lower than the price of the original and now out of production JR 9303 transmitter! JRs strategy in making this advanced class transmitter available with several new, notable features and at an even lower price is sure to catch the attention of many modelers!

Other Notable Features

The JR 9303 Transmitter has been on the market for quite a few years. There are countless reviews that have been published in print and on line. The information contained in those reviews is for the most part still completely valid and accurate, given the fact that the new 9503 builds on the feature set and programming of the 9303. This review would thus be cloning the efforts of others were I to try and make it a completely comprehensive do-all, coverall review. I would however like to spend a few paragraphs sounding off on some of the additional reasons that I am especially drawn to the new 9503 transmitter.

Ever growing selection of Spektrum DSM2 receivers available

Spektrum continues to evolve and expand their DSM2 receiver lineup. With the number of different receivers now available at 16 and growing, Spektrum makes a receiver for just about any application! I fly almost all of the smaller receivers and have yet to experience ANY problems with interference. When you add in the JR receivers that also use the DSM2 technology, you have twenty different receivers to choose from. The resolution when using many of the 7 channel and higher receivers is 2048, as compared to the normal resolution of 1024 of their other receivers.

Spektrum DSM2 receivers

• AR500 DSM2® 5 Channel Sport Receiver
  • AR6110 DSM2® Microlite 6-Channel Receiver
  • AR6110E DSM2® Microlite 6-Ch. End-Pin Receiver
  • AR6200 DSM2® 6-Channel Ultralite Receiver
  • AR6250 DSM2® 6-Channel Carbon Fuse Receiver
  • AR6300 DSM2® Nanolite 6-Channel Receiver
  • AR6400 DSM2® 6 Channel Ultra-Micro DSM2 Receiver
  • AR7000 DSM2® 7-Channel Receiver
  • AR7100 DSM2® 7-Channel Helicopter Receiver with Rev Limiter
  • AR7100R DSM2® 7-Channel Helicopter Receiver
  • AR7600 DSM2® 7-Channel High-Speed Receiver
  • AR9100 DSM2® 9-Channel PowerSafe Receiver
  • AR9200 DSM2® 9- Channel Powersafe Evolution Receiver
  • AR9300 DSM2® 9-Channel Carbon Fuse Receiver
  • AR9000 DSM2® 9-Channel Receiver
  • AR12000 DSM2® 12-Channel Receiver

JR DSM2 receivers

• R921 9 Channel DSM2® Receiver
  • R1222 12 Channel DSM2® PowerSafe Receiver
  • R922 9 Channel DSM2® Powersafe Receiver
  • R1221 12 Channel DSM2® Receiver

Sailplane programming features

The sailplane programming feature set in the 9503 contains a total of five flight modes (launch, land, cruise, speed and thermal). When programming a sailplane model, the servo port assignments on the receiver are rearranged so that a full-house sailplane uses the first 6 ports of the receiver. The sailplane programming section of the 9503 manual goes into more detailed explanations of many of the 9503 features, such as multipoint mixers. It also contains a handy guide to the various menus and screens available in the Function Menu.

The sailplane programming section offers a wealth of in-depth information on this genre of the hobby. An added bonus can be found in the manual on page S-39. Here, a complete tutorial on setting up and programming a six channel sail plane is found. It is a step-by-step programming guide that will simplify the process of setting up a typical sailplane in the 9503 for the first time. In a series of 38 steps, Engineer John Adams walks readers through the entire programming process, with many set up tips and hints offered along the way.

I have a great deal of interest in getting into the exciting field of high performance sail planes and I am excited to see that the 9503 transmitter appears to contain all of the programming I will need when I am ready to move into this field.

Heli programming features

The helicopter programming feature set contained in the 9503 is also a robust and complete programming set. Capable of accommodating swashplates of all varieties, the heli programming includes mixes for the following:

• 1 Servo Non-CCPM, standard mechanical mixing type
  • 2 Servo/180° CCPM
  • 3 Servo/120° CCPM
  • 3 Servo/140° CCPM
  • 3 Servo/90° CCPM
  • 4 Servo/90° CCPM

With built-in cyclic>throttle mixing for aileron, elevator, and rudder, a maximum of 5 seven point throttle curves, a maximum of 6 seven point pitch curves, a gyro system with in-flight gain selection of three gain rates, two mulit-point mixes and 4 standard mixes for each heli model, the X9503 can help take your heli skills to the next level.

The heli programming also makes use of the same features available in the other two programing modes, including the timer feature, adjustable trim steps, servo monitor display and trainer system. Using the Flight Modes in the heli programming is especially advantageous to a pilot for the way it allows one to easily activate multiple features, such as dual rates, gyro gain, and governor settings, with the flip of a one single switch. A total of up to six Flight Modes are available when setting up a heli model on the 9503 transmitter.

Programming

Reading the X9503 manual from cover to cover is a daunting proposition, given the fact that it covers in detail all of the programming options available for three different types of models. While the majority of modelers may not enjoy reading a lengthy technical document, I usually derive a certain amount of pleasure in scouring such a document from cover to cover. Part of the reason for this may be due to my desire to know and understand every last detail and function of a complex piece of electronic equipment so that I can get the maximum usefulness out of it. As much as I like to familiarize myself with the manual BEFORE I actually use the product, I was unable to find the time to do so in the case of the X9503. Interestingly enough, this actually served as a real world exercise in testing the learning curve required to program a model into the X9503.

My first flying session with it found me at the field with a few planes that needed programmed into the transmitter as new models before I could fly them. With a head full of knowledge of the steps required to program a model into a Spektrum DX7, a Futaba 10C and a Multiplex EVO9, would I be able to pick up the JR X9503 and embrace its programming without the benefit of having the manual in front of me? With minimal effort and button pushing, I was quite easily able to figure out how to set up a couple of basic models. I ultimately attribute this ease in grasping the programming of the X9503 to the similarities between its programming structure and that of the Spektrum DX7s. The rolling selector switch makes short work of navigating through the various menu structures.

Programming a Basic Acro Model into the 9503

Programming a basic four channel model into the X9503 is very easy and very intuitive. As mentioned above, I was able to enter a few models at the flying field without the benefit of having read the manual. Here is a brief synopsis, with the appropriate 9503 screens shown:

Hold down the "ENT" button and apply power to enter the "System" menu

Select the "Model SEL" option and press the rolling selector to enter the menu

Using the rolling selector, select an empty model memory slot.

Select the slot by depressing the rolling selector again.

Press the "LST" button to back out to the "System" menu

Use the rolling selector to scroll to and select "MDL Name"

Use the rolling selector to select the name for your model

Select the "Type SEL" option and press the rolling selector to enter the menu

Use the rolling selector to select the type of model you are programming

Select the "Wing TYPE" option and press the rolling selector to enter the menu

Select the wing configuration option that matches your models wing type

Cycle the power on the 9503 to get to the main display screen

Press the "LST" button to enter the "FUNC.LIST" menu

Select the "D/R & EXP" menu with the rolling selector

Program dual rates and exponential for the 3 primary control axis'

Press the "LST" button to back out to the "FUNC.LIST" menu

Select and enter the "REV.SW" and reverse any channels if necessary

Select and enter the "REV.SW" and reverse any channels if necessary

Select and enter the "Sub Trim" and adjust the center point of the servos

Select and enter the "TRVL ADJ." and adjust any/all end points

There you have it! That completes the programming involved to set up a basic model. If the model has flaps or more complex functions such as retracts, additional advanced programming will next be necessary.

Advanced Programming

Using Flight Modes

One cannot venture into advanced programming on the 9503 without mentioning Flight Modes. Utilizing Flight Modes whilst programming a model is a superb way of reducing the potential workload involved in flying any given model. In a nutshell, a Flight Mode is a simplified method of configuring an aircraft for any certain flight mode with the flip of one switch. In the Acro model profile, there are three Flight Modes available. The Glid model profile has a total of five Flight Modes, while the Heli model profile has six.

Servo Speed Adjustment

One of the coolest features of the 9503 to me is the adjustable servo rates or speeds. This feature allows you to program the speed with which the servos will transition from end to end. This is especially useful for slowing retracts and flaps to a realistic looking scale speed. It can also be used to sequence various functions of an airframe. Servo speeds may be set from a minimum of .176 seconds for 60 degrees of rotation all the way up to 15 seconds for 60 degrees of rotation.

Mixers

The 9503 offers up two different kinds of programmable mixers. Conventional mixers involve selecting a master channel and a slave channel. In a conventional mixer, the slave channel typically will follow the master channel in a linear fashion. The 9503 also contains multipoint, or non-linear mixers. These mixers allow you to set the slave channel to follow a programmable curve, which can deviate from a linear response by following a user defined series of seven points.

Normal Mixers (Linear)

Multi-point mixers (Nonlinear) (

There are two additional pre-configured mixers included in the Acro programming mode of the 9503. They are Elevator>Flaps and Aileron>Rudder. The former is often used to enhance the performance of 3D aircraft while the latter is useful in setting an aircraft up for coordinated turns.

The Servo Monitor screen is an especially useful tool when it comes to understanding and visualizing the programming of the 9503. The labels of the channels in this diagnostic screen are dynamically changed dependent on other programming assignments that have been made E.G. wing type.

The "Monitor" screen is an excellent way to visualize your mixer programming

JR PC Data Transfer

One would think that having fifty model memories would be enough to keep the most passionate of radio control enthusiasts satisfied, with a few free model memory slots open at all times. Some would thus question the merits of needing to connect the JR X9503 to a PC in order to move its model memories onto a hard disk drive. There were a few reasons though that I found myself very interested in obtaining JRs latest PC Data Transfer package. The primary reason I wanted this capability is that I wanted to be able to back up what would in the end be quite a bit of time spent programming my models into my 9503. Though the models are stored in nonvolatile memory in the 9503, I would hate to have to repeat the efforts required to program even twenty models into a transmitter should something unexplained happen to cause me to lose them. Another reason that the PC Data Transfer could be useful is that it is ultimately capable of moving models from a JR 9303 into a JR 9503, via a personal computer. Once the models are moved onto a PC, they can also be edited from within the PC Data Transfer software and then reloaded into the 9503.

JR PC Data Transfer $49.99

The JR PC Data Transfer program includes the necessary software on a CD, a USB dongle and a serial cable that connects the USB dongle to your 9503. The PC hardware requirements required to run the software are very modest, with a minimum of a Pentium II required. This means it will also run on the Netbooks that have become so popular in the last few years. And of course a USB port is required. The software will run on both Windows 2000 and XP. I do not yet run Windows 7 and so I was unable to verify that the software also works on it.

JR includes a 22 page color PDF instruction file on the CD that details installing and using the software. I would definitely recommend reviewing it before you pop the CD into your drive and begin installation. I will at this juncture confess that I was under the mistaken impression that this package would enable me to upload the entire block of fifty model memories into my PC in one fell swoop. This improper preconceived notion on my part, along with me limited understanding of the JR transfer functionality of the 9503, contributed to my having a little difficulty getting the PC Data Transfer utility to function properly initially. Reviewing the section in the 9503 manual on transferring models into and out of the transmitter cleared up my confusion. (Model memories can be moved into and out of the 9503 one at a time)

Uploading Model Data from the 9503 to your PC

Loader screen, with revision number (1.00)

PC Data Transfer home screen Step 1 in uploading from the 9503

Dialog box to confirm your intent to upload... ... press the start button...

This dialog box says it is now time to ready the 9503

Select the model you would like to transfer

Select "Transfer" & then "Transmit" to move model memories to your PC

Connect the transfer cable and power the 9503 off

The status of the transfer will be indicated by a hexadecimal counter When the transfer is complete, this dialog box will prompt to save the data

Select a file name and the directory you would like to save it in

An incredible amount of programming information for each model, spread across a lengthy two pages

Downloading model memories from your PC to the 9503 is almost identical to the above procedure except for a few selections which must be made differently to configure the transmitter and software for data transfer in the reverse direction. I really like the peace of mind that being able to back up all of the model memories in the 9503 to my PC brings me.

Video Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

The JR X9503 is a radio that will grow with you as you immerse yourself in this diverse hobby. Though it has been on the market for several years, its professional level programming and design have kept it popular with modelers. Fifty model memories, an auto start timer and a back lit LCD screen sweeten its already rich feature set. The one-two punch of JRs three year warranty and worry free Spektrum DSM2® technology combine to create a transmitter that will go the distance with you. I was particularly impressed with its intuitive programming and the almost nonexistent learning curve involved in learning how to use its basic features. I personally would like to see JR utilize flash memory, preferably in the popular SD Card format, as the medium for model memory storage. This RAM is widely available and most PCs now come equipped with memory card readers built-in. Though I fondly recall the good times I had with my Spektrum DX7, I look forward to a long relationship with this third iteration of the the JR X9303 transmitter, the X9503.

Pluses

• FIFTY model memories
  • Never forget to start your countdown timer again!
  • Back lit LCD makes the X9503 the perfect transmitter for a little night flying
  • Three year JR warranty
  • Spektrum DSM2® technology
  • Popular and enduring advanced radio with even more features ... and at a lower price!

Minuses

• Would like to see the now ubiquitous and unbelievably economical flash memory (SD card) used for model storage

Final Note

JR has issued this important Service Bulletin on the X9503

9503 Service Bulletin
Last edited by Angela H; Apr 19, 2010 at 04:15 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:11 PM
Build & Fly like 2days ur last
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
thank you i just started my search to replace my dx7 with a nine channel at first i felt stuck because i didnt want to replace a my receivers. but you just made me feel great about getting the radio for my fleet

crazy
crazy3dpilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy3dpilot
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:54 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
What a perfectly timed review! I just purchased one of these from a fellow here on RCG yesterday! Frankly, after downloading the manual from Horizon's site, I was a bit (OK, a LOT!) intimidated. This review has calmed my nerves quite a bit. It looks like it will be much faster changing settings with the scroll wheel. I can't wait to get programming with it. Like you, I've filled a DX7. Easily. I got into trouble by sharing a model slot. I forgot to reverse the aileron channel, and it was not pretty. Nice wake-up call. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, now. I'll definitely be getting the computer interface. Good insurance should the unthinkable (lost/stolen/fire damage) occur.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
A throttle button to switch would be nice for electrics. It should automatically reset to inhibit when Tx is switched off.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:16 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Very nicely written; you covered all the question I did have about this radio, to include the tech package. I now feel like I understand the JR X9503 better then my DX7.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
I remain quite displeasded/upset with HH/JR -- feel realy burned me with this product's recall!

Their attituded IMHO has be very poor.

My flying buddy who also bought his from the same LHS a dya before and who alwsy been an HH/JR fan was also so upste he recelntly got a new 10ch Futaba.

UGH!!!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I just got (on Friday) the X9503 as a replacement for my XP7202 (DX7 72 MHz version) .
The 2048 resolution must be mentioned, I can tell a BIG diff between my old 72 Mhz radio and this new beast. I love it!!!!

BTW, great review!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:28 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Jon, not to just pat you on the back, but this review is very comprehensive and informative. I can see you had to spend a great deal of time in photography and production. Thanks for taking the time to do this review and presenting it to RCG readers. In fact, it may exceed the OEM's resource!
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,641 Posts
I've been looking this system over. I'm currently flying a DX7 and have been a long time JR user. What has me put off with the larger JR systems are those redundant receivers and wires. Why does JR have these octopus receivers with their 2.4 systems when all the others don't?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Apr 21, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:55 AM
USA, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Mar 2005
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
A throttle button to switch would be nice for electrics. It should automatically reset to inhibit when Tx is switched off.
You can put the motor on the timer switch.
bosco49 is offline Find More Posts by bosco49
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
Bosco49 How do I do that? Does this work with 9303.

DavidN
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:15 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,164 Posts
Stylish video as always, very nice review that shows not only the new features but also all the nice things that come with a pro-like radio for those like me that are doing fine (for now) with a DX7 and never looked more closely at the advantages of a more sophisticated radio. It would be welcome on the new H-9 twin otter.

I will be looking at the soon coming DX8 but this one will be on the list ( with the new 11x that looks soooooo )

BTW, what is your editing program ?
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,749 Posts
Sony Vegas 8.0C
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
Dear Mr Wiz:
The satellite receivers give added security that the receiver will continue to get signal. With my JR 9303 on 2.4GHz the majority of my receivers don't have satellites. I use the smaller receivers in my indoor and park flyers as well as my helicopters. However in my 1/4 Scale Cub and P-51D Mustang Sport ARF 40 there is plenty of room for the receiver and the satellite receivers as well. I have two satellite receivers in my Cub and their antennas are oriented in different directions. On my Mustang the one satellite's pair of antennas are 90 degrees different from those on the main receiver. It is simply insurance that the receiver will get the signal even on planes that get flown out aways from the runway area. I have had no problem using the receivers and have even bought a couple extra satellites for use in my larger and more expensive planes as I would rather be safe then sorry. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:13 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,193 Posts
Throttle inhibit on a switch can be done with a mix on the DX7, 9303, 9503.

A quick search shows:

DX-7 Throttle "Kill" Switch
Go to Mix 6
use R rocker (adjust) to select making changes to the mix
R rocker to change it to AUX2 to THRO
L button (select) to RATE. R rocker to make -125%
L button to OFFSET. R rocker to -125%
L button to RATE. R rocker to -125%
It will look like this when you are done...
[PROG.MIX 6]
AUX2> THRO ON
RATE: -125
.........-125
SW:ON
OFFSET:-125

Now the AUX2 switch is the throttle kill. Up is OFF, down is ON
I used stickers to show ON and Off
__________________________________________________ ________
If this is not working for you ......The AUX2 switch may be INH
************Make sure AUX2 is turned on in settings*******
Test to insure it is working and rebind your RX

And:

P mix 6;
Aux2 - Thro, On
-125%
0%
SW: ON
Offset: -100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt