HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Discussion
Quick tip for I/R sender speeds

Quite often we hear of a new model and it's on I/R. Then someone breaks out an oscilloscope and measures the pulses, for which one has the quickest output for signals, A, B or C channel.

While trying to get a Havoc heli knockoff Rx to work again, I stumbled on a quick and dirty method of testing those pulses.
Two methods probably. It just occurred to me that putting a digital camera in front of the transmitter LED's will probably show the pulses on the camera screen.

My method was to use an LED, with appropriate resistor to limit current. Ground to the Ground of the Rx, Positive to the right leg of the I/R receiver. The right leg being when the units bulb shape is facing toward you. Now, with transmitter movement, you can watch as the flashes appear on the LED. Different bands produce quicker or slower flashes.

The idea could also be of use for fitting on a plane itself, as the LED doesn't affect the reception of the signals. In such a way, a fitted LED could be used both as a night flying light and as a ready range method while flying.

It doesn't matter what band the aircraft is on, the I/R receiver unit see's all the signals.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
to remove ads between posts