SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:44 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Discussion
Obama to announce aid for middle class

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is set to announce a series of economic initiatives Monday aimed at helping struggling middle class families.

The proposals include a doubling of the child care tax credit, caps on student loan payments, and aid for families taking care of elderly relatives. The plan would also offer retirement savings options for workers who don't get an employer-based plan.

The White House has promised a sharper focus on jobs and the economy as the dust settles from the punishing loss of the late Edward M. Kennedy's Senate seat in Massachusetts. Republican Scott Brown's victory put the seat in the hands of Republicans for the first time in decades and took away Democrats' 60-vote majority in the Senate.

Democrats are trying to regroup to head off more populist anger and stem more losses of congressional, gubernatorial and legislative seats in the 2010 midterm elections. President Barack Obama's poll numbers are also off — primarily because of the slow economic recovery and double-digit unemployment. A majority of Americans also have turned against health care reform, the president's signature legislative effort now in jeopardy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/6833816.html

I guess the baggers will yell, us too, us too.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:58 AM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
"We're from the government. We're here to help"
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:29 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Yeah, what private org can help the middle?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:36 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
All the middle class needs is a non-interference treaty from the government.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:38 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Yeah, what private org can help the middle?
Companies that could be started. That is the best way to help the middle. Create an environment that incentivises growth and businesses. That will help the economy and the middle class. It's a win/win and doesn't result in higher taxes or more entitlements.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:39 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
All we need to do, is fashion a golden calf, to worship. Oh, thats right, we gotz, on wall street.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:40 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
Companies that could be started. That is the best way to help the middle. Create an environment that incentivises growth and businesses. That will help the economy and the middle class. It's a win/win and doesn't result in higher taxes or more entitlements.
I have been screaming for just that. Help the small business. I fear there wasnt enough money to do that. Allowing the biggies to fail would suck us all down.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Is no one else annoyed that the Democrats would create entitlement programs for no purpose except to retain seats?* The best interests of Americans no longer guide the two parties.

*yes - Republicans are just as likely to do so.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:43 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Can the gov help anyone without the insult that they are JUST pandering for votes?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
I have been screaming for just that. Help the small business. I fear there wasnt enough money to do that. Allowing the biggies to fail would suck us all down.
Allowing private business to create jobs does not require government spending money. Getting out of the way doesn't cost anything.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Whats the penalty for worshipping that golden calf?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Poll numbers are still going down. Gotta start sending out the bribes.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Can the gov help anyone without the insult that they are JUST pandering for votes?

Well, it is your contention that I was commenting on. Your words:

Democrats are trying to regroup to head off more populist anger and stem more losses of congressional, gubernatorial and legislative seats in the 2010 midterm elections.

Is there some other reasonable interpretation, considering the context? You certainly seem to be saying that the Democrats are persuing legislation in the hopes of heading off unfavorable election results.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
It's called pandering to your constituency. And is not a curse word. I understand that the only constituency the right understands is the CEO/manager class.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
It's called pandering to your constituency. And is not a curse word. I understand that the only constituency the right understands is the CEO/manager class.
I suppose that might make sense to someone who doesn't work for a manager or a CEO or anything....

But most of us understand the fact that in order to make a living we need to have a job, and the people who create jobs tend to be business owners or managers, etc.

Most of us understand that waging a war against our boss will probably result in another job search.

Speaking of which, how is that job hunt going ?