HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
Cool
Rebuilding an old friend 200% Guillows F-16

This jet had a quite a life cycle. Going from EDF to pusher, and now back to EDF. The original configuration of HiLine RFB shroud, cut KY rotor, Mega 16/15/3 and 10-1150 Kans. This just was not enough power foe anything but buzzing around the pea-patch. Esp: after all the repairs trying to find the CG.
The CG was very touchy, this due to the flat bottom airfoil and sharp LE, and high weight of the batt.

It was then changed over to a pusher. Using a Mega /5, 8-Kans, and a 7-5E prop. I also formed thin clear plastic over the LE back to the first spar. That did the trick! The pusher version flew for a few yrs till a mid-air with a 3-D foamy. So.. I put it away, with my enlarged Berkeley Crusader, till LiPos became more usable and affordable.

Going through my "hidden" room of half built and forgotten stuff, I decided to drag it out. With the power systems and battery's this can really have a third life. So now it gets the WeMo Microfan, Hi-Max 2025-5300, CC25, and Rhino 1550 25c 3s. Good for 20A at 220W. And less than half the weight of the old system!

This combo pushed my little micro Skyhawk very well. The F-16 is larger and lighter. Originally covered in silk and having a lot of open structure, I filled some of the open bays. Thickened the LE(removed the rolled plastic LE). And generally gave it a better airfoil, with the LE more like a Clark-Y.

The fan will be place at the second to last bulkhead, giving a 42mm exaust that is only a few inches long.
Should prove to be fun thing, this yr.
Here's the original thread. Old punky camera pics. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=guillows+f+16

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:25 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Nice work!!!
your shop looks like mine!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:19 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
My shop gets it's cleaning in spring. Or when I can't find anything...

Thanx!

Fuzz
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:36 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
A little more progress..
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
She is just "gassing-off" the lacquer now, before painting. Weight with fan, esc, (2) servos, Rx, is 10.5oz. 3s Rhino 1550 is 5oz, so AUW should be 16oz. Thats 220W per lb from the microfan.

The Sidewinder's are just tacked in place.

Fuzz
Old Feb 07, 2010, 05:11 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Looking good.At this weight you will hand launch this jet? or peddle launch? Good luck with the first flight.
KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:24 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread

You gotta be kidding me, a balsa glider to check for CG?
Is there no foam in RI?

Looks great Fuzz.
When/how do you decide to use silkspan & lacquer or glass/epoxy for the finish?
I know on this one with the open structure it's a no brainer but I've seen you use silk/laq on sheeted surfaces too.

And where did you get that red glazing putty? We haven't use that at the shop in over 20 years. I don't even think my paint vendor has it. I remember it being lacquer based so it should be some of the lightest among the auto body fillers.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:11 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
Yes Komet, handlaunch. Thank you.

Julian, really only weight considerations, as what type of finish. But, silkspan and lacquer are quite a bit faster. Silk if I need the compression or tension strength and still get light weight, or fidelity for fabric simulation. The red spot putty is avail at Wal-Mart in the auto dept. Pretty cheap, light and fast drying. I also use Rit dye in my Model Magic spackling. Helps in th visual. If the glider was fome, I don't believe it would have lasted 5 yrs. It's fun just to go throw it. Has quite a fast flight to altitude, and a nice glide.

She is all painted. This weekend, I'm catching up with painting the second Cutlass and this F-16. Then I can concentrate on the 3 Cutlasses waiting my attention. All thats left to do is install the elevon servos.

Fuzz
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:45 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,265 Posts
Looks great

1 word : Bungee
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:54 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
You gotta be kidding me, a balsa glider to check for CG?
Is there no foam in RI?
Now that was too funny

Looks great Fuzz!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Feb 07, 2010, 12:12 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,453 Posts
Ken, I cannot get to the inside of the nose to secure one. It would only take 5# of pull max. And I'm concerned with the hook placement. It's right in front of the intake.

Thanx Kevin!
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:10 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Quote:
1 word : Bungee

No no no. Find a hill. ...with snow.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_