Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Here's another, the 2nd on-board video, including crash into tree. No real damage was done, thanks to the FG skin on nose area and the CF leading edge to wings. This video is in total 5min 20sec long. Crash is at about 50s in. No trees were damaged during the making of this video.

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...=MovieDone.flv

I really do need to find myself a bigger, safer park to fly from. Or learn to fly better.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Jan 28, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2010, 05:37 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Here's a screen capture from the video. Of course, the video quality from the Kyocera is better than the displayed quality on photobucket, it started out as 640x480, but on the site it's 320x240, and compressed more too, I think.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:46 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Had some nice weather today, bit of sun for a change, and got an hours flying in this morning. My friend David kindly took some pics with his SLR.

I really do need to make some cowlings for the 2 motors, and give her a paint job.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:23 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,432 Posts
Weapons of Mass Destruction

Hi
Great pictures, like the one in front of the trees

Looking "really closely" I see you have a representation of Tony Blairs nightmares on board
- think rockets & bombs would look better

Seriously tho its great.!!!

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:21 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Thanks Frank. Cant take any credit for the pics, myself. re WMD and on-board weaponry, am actually working on some underwing stores at the moment. These are vac formed plastic, very light and about 6.5 in long. From BRC hobbies - http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop...tName=PLASTICS - they are a pain to assemble though.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Am having a go at making cowlings from sheet depron, will sand them to shape then fibreglass. I'm not set up to do to vac-forming, so this is hopefullly 2nd best solution. It's just a simple empty box shape but with 2 slightly curved sides, and then rounding on all the front edges. Will cut out some cooling air vents afterwards. Hopefully they will look something like the Partenavia style cowls. Sort of. A bit.
Last edited by WMD; Feb 02, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:14 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2006
72 Posts
Me thinks........Must do a twin!

Bradford eh......

ATB, Lee.
leebospeed is offline Find More Posts by leebospeed
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Nice design man! The fuselage looks like an OV-10!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:06 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Thanks Lee, I recommend doing a twin asap. This is my first - I put it off for far too long, but it turned out dead simple, and in some ways easier than a single, even I mean you don't even have to figure out sidethrust, if you have 2 matched contra-rotating props and the twin sound is great.

I'm in Keighley to be exact, just down the road from Bradford. The park I fly from (in the vids here) is Cliffe Castle Park.
Last edited by WMD; Feb 02, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:10 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Thanks MT. It's funny you should mention the Bronco, I almost built the Jackal Twin here as a twin boom, I was looking at 3-views and trying to work out how to get good enough prop clearance, with no gear. I like the Bronco a lot. Has the same purposeful (ie kind of ugly) military look to her I think. I guess you get that with a design that has form from function.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:27 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
And the other option I was considering was trying to do a kinda-almost-scale 02A Skymaster, I was thinking that with a dummy prop at the front just idling away and all the power in the pusher rear motor, and with a very small prop I might be able to ROG from rough grass on the belly, with no gear. Maybe. Love that shape though, those twin booms.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:05 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Cowlings are starting to take shape now. I'm getting there. I messed up the fibreglass (impatient, trying to do things too quick) so they look a bit lumpy, but this is the right shape I think.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:57 PM
Flip rrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,540 Posts
Thanks for this thread. That could be scratch build model of the year. Lots of 'em out there but this is looking good. I just spent 3 months hacking on a 54 inch low scale Cessna 150.
Maybe the Jackal is my next scratch build. Excellent design work on that wing.
I would like to make a symmetrical wing and a T tail version.
Keep the good work up and thanks.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,135 Posts
Hi ChopHop,

Funny you should post just now, I've just now come back to the Jackal again after messing about with another model. Have finally fixed on the engine cowlings, and just installed my new toy the FlycamOne ECO videocam. Havent had a chance to test it yet, weather is too windy and dull. I really must give her a paint job too.

If you do build one, good luck with it, come back and post a few pics. She's fun to fly, got bags of power and she's hardy too, I've flown her smack into a tree and got nothing more than a scratch to show for it.

If you like the ROG takeoff thing as opposed to handlaunching, I'd say make the fuse a touch wider than I did, just to give stop her rolling sideways onto a wingtip when taxiing. Apart from that, there's nothing I'd change. Mind you, a T-tail would look great. Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:17 AM
Flip rrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,540 Posts
The only thing that concerns me about this build is getting both thrustlines set symmetrical and correct. Also, it may help on twins to run the second engine on a slave mix to the main throttle and now TX mixing can trim the two engines close enough to get the warble out. In your videos I can see you are one of the lucky ones that got a good match of motor and ESC.
Maybe some prop switching could also help match speeds, all props are not created equal.

About the Sky Master, I'd make the dummy prop and windshield removeable. Then it would be a good camera ship. Pop the windshield off and have a keychain camera holder cartridge mount.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Last edited by Chophop; Mar 21, 2010 at 07:27 AM.