HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
heres some pdfs

heres some pdfs
popedan is offline Find More Posts by popedan
Last edited by popedan; Mar 23, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:48 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Sanding down the nose and canopy area to get a nice streamlined shape.

Once I had cut out the hatch, I added an extra bit of 6mm sheet as inner flooring, so that part of the base is 12mm thick. Then stuck some velcro all the way down the centre, to allow battery adjustment for good CG. The shown green Lipo in the pic is a 2200 which I at first planned to use, but the 1320 Thunderpower is all I need, and keeps the AUW to under 500g.

Added some lightweight filler to the nose, then applied Gassfibre cloth with WPU. Only the nose and the belly got the FG for taking the knocks of landing. I weighed the bare fuse before and after, the FG cloth and WPU added 10g.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Thanks popedan, that's great. Nicely done.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Finishing off the wing. Cut chamfered strip ailerons, 6mm at LE down to 3mm at TE. Bevelled to allow hinging. Hinges at 3 points from flpopy disc material, then a strip of 3M satin along the top edge just for luck. Added control horns cut from plastic. Added wingtips of 6mm foam sanded to fit the wing profile.

The plan shows a more shaped wingtip, but on the prototype here wingtips are just cut square at 90 deg.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:25 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Putting it all together, with the smaller 1320 battery, she's under 500g.

Although I still haven't added cowls over the motors, or a paint job yet. So she will be over.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:34 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
A note on running contra-rotating twin props... there is - it turns out - a right and a wrong way to have your props counter rotate. Ask me how I know this. Because if you do it the right way, chopped wet grass will neatly be swept aside and away from your lovely nice clean airframe. Probably. I don't know about that. But I do know that if you do it wrong, you'll have something like this to clean up:

I am going to have to rip off my nicely sanded nacelle covers to get to the leads and switch em around. ho hum.

Looking on the bright side though, I may have just invented a radio-controlled lawnmower. With grass box. Gotta be able to make some money out of that.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:38 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
A very nice twin. I like this one.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
One more thing I've realised after doing the maiden flights. See these pics here, these are the er, pivot points (?) in the belly shape. When doing take off from rough and/or wet grass, she tries to dig her nose in, see third picture. This only happens for a moment, until she's built up thrust to slide along - but I'm thinking a reshaping of the nose to give a flatter bottom (see Jackal_09 drawings earlier) will make things look a bit more elegant.

Also, it occurs to me when I build the next (new, improved) fuselage, Ill add a 'pivot point' at the recommended CG point on the belly, that then gives a quick and dirty way to check balance when you're at the field.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:56 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Thanks RG. Heres a comparison showing what I mean with the nose shape change I'm making. Old version on top, new version below.

I actually think it makes her look meaner anyway. Always a good thing. the shape leans more towards a Pucara that way. Less 60's more 80's looking. More threatening.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
And another tweak, want to try adding add these... er... belly bulges(?) to give more stability on takeoff. Again, this is not a great problem, its just that she rolls over sideways and drags a wingtip if the surface isn't smooth. And in my park, the grass is anything but smooth. I just would like to add more refinement. She would cut less grass that way too, if she didnt roll on one side as she slides along. Am thinking as a test on the existing prototype I can just cut out that section of the belly then add a new shaped section in depron, and glass it again as before.

Mind you, this extension to the belly 'footprint' will add more friction too.. not sure if this will make things better or worse. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:48 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,456 Posts
You could try wheels coming out of the side of the fuselage inside the "belly bulges" ala C130 Hercules and add a small nose wheel... Should look kinda cool

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
And another tweak, want to try adding add these... er... belly bulges(?) to give more stability on takeoff. Again, this is not a great problem, its just that she rolls over sideways and drags a wingtip if the surface isn't smooth. And in my park, the grass is anything but smooth. I just would like to add more refinement. She would cut less grass that way too, if she didnt roll on one side as she slides along. Am thinking as a test on the existing prototype I can just cut out that section of the belly then add a new shaped section in depron, and glass it again as before.

Mind you, this extension to the belly 'footprint' will add more friction too.. not sure if this will make things better or worse. Any thoughts?
wmd i not done with the pdfs yet still got to make fuse formers and a few orther things.it will be tonite have to work right know.
dan
popedan is offline Find More Posts by popedan
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Interesting idea, Frank. Thanks. I will think about that, and try modelling it in Sketchup.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:35 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Ok dan, no rush at all. If you're going to be getting into that level of detail, bear in mind like I said before, in my sketchup files the tail is drawn narrower than it should be. If you're drawing up formers and such, that wants taking into account.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure about the inset wheels idea. I'm may be just doing this wrong, but it looks ungainly to me. It makes the whole plane look more like a big cargo transport than the nimble weapons platform I was aiming for. To be fair you did say Hercules at the beginning didn't you?

Of course, adding wheels also adds more weight and more stuff to go wrong, and this kind of inset wheel will get clogged up with grass and dirt, too.

Will think some more.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 03:18 PM.