SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
er, sorry popedan but these *are* the plans. This is as good as it gets. I just print out a schematic from sketchup, then use a ruler and a pencil and start cutting. But hey, if you want the sketchup file, you're welcome to that, if it helps...
shootme over the skp up files.i can work from them
popedan is offline Find More Posts by popedan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:36 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Ok here's the Sketchup file.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Starting on the fuse. Be aware that I built the prototype fuse with a canopy hatch that turned out redundant when I checked CG. So future versions have no canopy hatch just one big solid nose, and instead there's a hatch on the port side of the fuse, under the wing..

Also, now that the wing is formed and completed, you can draw around one wingtip onto the the fuse side - to give you the exact shape of cutout needed for the wing saddle, to mount the wing.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 24, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:54 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
Quote:
Ok here's the Sketchup file.
wmd thanks fore the sketchup file.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
No worries. Back to the fuse. Seriously, this is not how it ended up in the end. This is more a how-not-to-do-it. I was thinking I'd need a 2200 lipo up front to get CG, but it turned out I only needed a 1320 further back. Much further back. So far back that the whole canopy got sealed into one peice. So if I was doing this all again from scratch, I'd make the whole nose one big monolith.

Also, I ended up putting the Rx further back under the wing too, so all the leads got shortened.

Fuse construction could not be any simpler. 2 big slab sides of 6mm depron, some formers (all constant width) in the middle to keep the centre section boxed together, then pinch the tail together. Bottom is one long piece of 6mm depron again, scored lightly to bend at 3 points, then glued on.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:12 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Skipping over to the tail surfaces - I used floppy disk hinges on the rudder, and just plain 3M satin tape on the elevator. There's a 3mm CF strip at the hinge line of the horizontal stab, for stiffness. All leading edges get rounded with sandpaper then have 3M satin tape applied to give them a clean edge that resists hanger rash. A little.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
And then back to the fuselage... heres the original sketchup plan for the fuse. Width of 56mm, tapering to 12mm at the tail. None of this is critical, it's just something to keep the tail from the wing, if you see what I mean. Actually, thinking about it the height is critical - that gives you prop clearance.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
sample pdf fin

Quote:
And then back to the fuselage... heres the original sketchup plan for the fuse. Width of 56mm, tapering to 12mm at the tail. None of this is critical, it's just something to keep the tail from the wing, if you see what I mean. Actually, thinking about it the height is critical - that gives you prop clearance.

pdf stample of fin
Last edited by popedan; Mar 23, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:47 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2009
274 Posts
stab

ppdf of stab sample
Last edited by popedan; Mar 23, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:59 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
OK, here's more plans. Only in Sketchup format at the moment, but that will change over time. There are 2 versions of the sketchup plan.

Jackal_07 is the drawing I built the prototype from. Jackal_07_parts is the same drawing broken down with dimensions. The prototype deviates from the plan mainly in having no canopy hatch and a solid nose.

Jackal_09 is the latest drawing and features the solid nose and the side fuse hatch, also a reshaped underbelly with lower nose and some mid-belly bulges I am going to add for stability on the ground. Shows location of tail servos.

For reasons that escape me, both plans wrongly show the fuse as tapering to a width of 4mm at the tail. Thats wrong, the tail is actually 12mm wide - it's where the 2x fuse side sections meet, and they are 6mm thick each.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:09 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Here are the zipped up sketchup plans
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:15 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Here's some video of the Jackal Twin maiden. Apologies for the low video quality. My fault. The plane is made of grey-black depron, unpainted, and the sky was grey/black too. If you turn the sound up, the twin motors sound great together though.

Video shows how light the plane is, and how easy to take off ROG from wet grass, on the belly only. Landing is straightforward. She slows down nicely. She weighs so little she floats in a glide well too.

Not many videos feature a voiceover saying "See, if you hit the ground she'll just bounce"... see the tounch-n-go at 1m 30s. Almost took out a friendly photographer at 1m 34s.

She was designed to be fun to fly in a tight space, in a small park - and this here is a very small park. There are far, far too many trees around, just waiting to jump out at you.

Again, apologies for the vid quality. And the piloting.

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...win_Maiden.flv
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:24 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
And here's a 2nd video - more of the same.

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a...kal_Twin_2.flv
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:30 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Right. Back to the pics of the tail assembly. The elevator I sanded down too thin, got a bit carried away. The rudder, I wasnt going to put a ruddder servo in, then changed my mind again, so the installation is a bit clunky.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:38 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,177 Posts
Fuselage assembly, and wing mounting saddle. Those are small strips of 3mm CF strip glued on the wing centre section, to stop the rubber bands digging in at LE and TE of wing.

It was around about this point that I checked CG and realised the original cockpit hatch and battery placemnet was way, way too far forward. So I cut a hatch in the fuse sidewall, and built the canopy shape up as part of the nose, one big solid lump.
Last edited by WMD; Jan 25, 2010 at 09:50 AM.