HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:31 AM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Discussion
Cleveland Albatross Glider

I started building a Cleveland Albatross glider from plans and will convert the model to RC. It took 3 evenings to cut out all the parts by hand and I started assembling the fuselage today. The fuselage is getting planked with 3/32" strips and since I've got little expertise planking, we'll just have to see how it turns out! I'm just "winging it" on all the RC modifications because I'm too lazy to plan ahead. Here are some pictures of the fuselage so far.
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
The wife's not going to like that

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,452 Posts
mlbco
How come you claim to have spent 3 evenings cutting out and there's not a single cut, stitch or plaster on your hand? Or is it just me that can be less than accurate when weilding a xacto/scalpel?
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
Steve,

A noble project!

When I worked in the Alameda CA hobby shop (1950) there was a finished Albatross hanging up for $10. I longed for it but lacked the ten bucks. That was big money in 1950.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
GeeW,
A few weeks ago I stabbed myself in the chest with an X-Acto while working on another project. Fortunately the blade didn't go too deep, but there was a lot of blood. I guess that scared me into being more careful on this model.

Here's a picture of the remaining parts. I did some more planking but ran out of glue so I'm off to buy some more.

Steve
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
This is too cool

I'll be watching with great interest; I love the old gliders I longed for as a kid.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:54 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,290 Posts
The old Cleveland Albatross is a lovely looking design. However on the plans I've got the wing spars are wishful at best. I trust you're upgrading the spar arrangement to something more RC worthy that'll withstand high starts and at least light winch duties.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:29 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
BMatthews,

I'm not sure what I'll do with the spars. I want removable wings and I'm still deciding on where I'll make them separate. I might use basswood for the spars but I won't change the structure much, I want the model to be close to the original in structure. I usually fly from a light duty high start and since this model will be covered in tissue I'm not planning to fly from a winch or stronger hi-start.

I finished planking the fuselage and will start sanding after the glue dries. Here are some pictures after a light sanding.

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
101 Posts
RE Glue on the fingers...

Over the years the best method I have ever found to remove those nasty bits of glue is to simply wash my hair a couple of times in the shower! Seems hair is abrasive enough to remove the glue easily. If the hair on your head is not as plentiful as it once was, be romantic, wash the wife's hair! It works just as well and can lead to pleasant rewards!
RandyW is offline Find More Posts by RandyW
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
Steve,

You answered my next question (how are you going to launch it?). Light duty high start should be comfortable. I don't see many guys running with tow lines these days.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
971 Posts
Nice job on the planking!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,504 Posts
That is a sweet design.... reminiscent of a Minimoa.

I'll be following this one!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
I installed the nose block, windshield fairing, and did some sanding. This is what it looks like so far and I probably won't sand the fuselage anymore until all the other pieces are built and fitted. Now it's time to build some wings.

Steve
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:38 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,504 Posts
Errrr, possibly a rather stupid question here, but...

Are the receiver and servos already fitted, or are you going to have to cut a hatch into that rather feminine form..???
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:27 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Steve, That is a thing of beauty that you are creating their,well worth the glue on your fingers.
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123