HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Discussion
Pulled out my Rare Marauder Hovercraft

This is the a Hovercraft I brought years ago. It was designed by Whiteman Industries. Just pulled it out of the attic and dusted it off. It has a O.S. 61 engine in it at the present time and was very fast on both land and water... only problem was... too noisey!!!
This thing was very loud. Was wondering if anyone else out there has/had one. I'm thinking about converting it to electric.
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cool before it was cool
Chelsea,MI
Joined Jul 2008
681 Posts
Looks!
Dtrimas is offline Find More Posts by Dtrimas
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:54 PM
Cool before it was cool
Chelsea,MI
Joined Jul 2008
681 Posts
Cool! Ooops about that.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Thanks! As I said, I'm considering an electric conversion for this machine. But I have to admit that there is something to be said about this sweet loud motor kicking up a ton of dust and asphalt while zooming across the roadway, or water. There is a you tube video of one. I will look for it and post it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
Cool before it was cool
Chelsea,MI
Joined Jul 2008
681 Posts
Sounds great! Know what kind of Motor you are going to put into it?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:13 AM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Most likely one of the new brushless motors.... the only issue is how to mount it. The IC motor in there now is held in by a traditional ic horizontal mount. that is completely different from the one that I need. The other issue would, the placement of the battery, especially if I intend to operate it on the water.... Right now, there is a compartment to the rear of the engine that is below the exposed servos that also houses the battery pack that drives the servos. Problem is, that the battery I would require would be much larger and may not fit in the same area. Have to do some investigating!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cool before it was cool
Chelsea,MI
Joined Jul 2008
681 Posts
Well, I hope that all goes well. It's gonna be great if you can get the batt in.
Old May 02, 2010, 09:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116 View Post
Was wondering if anyone else out there has/had one. I'm thinking about converting it to electric.
Nice shape yours is in!

I still have mine, I built it in 1990, if I recall correctly. Mine is powered by a Fox .74 Eagle.

I don't think a brushless motor powerful enough to move this beast will be much quieter than that glow engine. It's mostly prop noise anyway since the engine exhaust goes first through a muffler and then through all that piping to the rear of the craft.

I intend to restore mine some day. It was a lot of fun.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Well, I thinking of a brushless motor with a reasonably high KV that also allows me to get the most out of a 12" prop, which I think is the largest size I can fit in the housing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:08 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,455 Posts
Wow man what a good looking model, DO IT! CONVERT IT!
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Thanks alot "airbag12"... Unfortunately,I haven't gotten around to converting it yet. I have been working on other projects. Actually I am considering selling it in order to let someone else enjoy it!! But thanks for the compliment. Ken!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,455 Posts
I think I am going to build a foamy electric version of this but I have a question. What is that little intake on the back? Does that have to do with the airflow in the skirt or does that have to do with the glow motor?
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,455 Posts
LOL, my foamy electric version got wings. I guess that's what happens when you drink to much rum while building. I am going to do a build log on it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post16498917
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I think I am going to build a foamy electric version of this but I have a question. What is that little intake on the back? Does that have to do with the airflow in the skirt or does that have to do with the glow motor?
Hey there, that little intake on the back is designed to force the air from the 12" prop along the sides of the airboat and out towards the rear. It actually has the effect of tunneling the air so that it is more concentrated than scattered... as a result the airboat is able to move forward at a pretty quick pace. and the three rudders assit greatly in turning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
LOL, my foamy electric version got wings. I guess that's what happens when you drink to much rum while building. I am going to do a build log on it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post16498917
Great.. I'll check it out!!
RCG Plus Member