HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeromechanic1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Discussion
Pompano Beach Flying

Just got approval to fly at my parrish open field in Pompano Beach!!! (Park Flyers, mini helis and electrics only) Let me know if anyone is interested in flying there.
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:59 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
682 Posts
Aeromechanic,

Where in Pompano? Please be aware there is an AMA flying site #3314 at the WasteManagement landfill. There are many flyers there and channel controls. It is important for you and for us that you do not conflict channels within 3 miles of the landfill. If you flying 2.4ghz then no problem but any other radio channels could result in the lose of a plane.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:10 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Yes. We need to know exactly where this field is so that we can figure out the distance from our flying site. If it's within three miles, AMA regulations require you to make arrangements with our club to ensure no frequency conflicts.

Meanwhile, there's indoor flying every Thursday at Gold Coast Roller Rink.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Pompano Flying

Dear all:
Here are some answers:

1- Most of the flying would be on 2.4ghz.
2- The flying field is well beyond three miles from the landfill, east of Dixie Hwy.
3-Flying is meant to be done on Sundays after services, and after 2:30 pm only.
4-I understand that there is indoor flying at the Roler Rink, (By the way, it was closed the first time I tried going there, and the drive was quite a bit from Pompano Beach)
5- I also tried going flying at the landfill, and requested an application form, which I submitted with all the requested paperwork, but never got a final answer from the club, and never knew what happen to such application.
6- It's only natural to try finding a site close to home, specially now with the latest technology that is available in our hobby.

Obviously, we need more flying sites around here, and if we get organized we can all share the joy of R/C flying as a family, and enjoy with our kids lots of decent entertaiment and good times, which is most needed in this times.

I have contacted AMA and I'm aware of the rules and limitations involved in R/C, after all, I've been in this for more than 25 years.

I hope I've answered most of your concens, and happy flying to all.

aeromechanic
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:57 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromechanic1 View Post
2- The flying field is well beyond three miles from the landfill, east of Dixie Hwy.
Not really. I checked it on Google Earth and found that when we're flying on the east side, facing Powerline Road, which we do when there's a east wind, the distance between the center of your field and the center of our east-facing slope is 2.75 miles. Only when we fly on the north, west, or south sides is the distance between us greater than three miles.

However, we discussed the matter between ourselves and decided that the distance was great enough that we didn't need to worry about it, so have fun!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I think that most people would end up with 2.4ghz anyways. Do you guys fly late on Sundays?
have a good one!
aeromechanic
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:16 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
No, never on Sundays. The Waste Management landfill is closed then. Our big get-togethers are every Saturday, usually until about 2:00 PM, but we can also fly on any weekday if we can get away from work.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
I know, weekdays are a challenge, but the good thing is that there's no crowds.
We haven't even had a chance to go to the field, with the high winds, anyways.
The chance to fly there is for Sundays afternoons only.

Take care,
aeromechanic