SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:32 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Discussion
The XMB-X, a new concept.

I wanted to announce the beginning of the most ambitious RC project I've ever attempted, the MB-7 would be a walk in the park compared to this one, in fact, it is so ambitious that the xMB-X is a joint venture between a friend of mine and I.

I started working on the X prototype 3D model about week a ago and I just finished modeling/texturing something that I am quite happy with.

The whole idea behind the X concept was that most of the commercially available scale 500 fuselages aren't quite exactly what they should: they all have many proportion/scale errors IMO, things like windows are wrong, too narrow, landing gear requires too much work to make it look like the real deal... well, and thats just to name a few.

The X is still a very long ways off before it can even be touched with your bare hands but it all has to start somewhere.

Here it is a rendering of the XMB-X. Like all its siblings, it also sports a quad tail and 5 bladed main.

Cheers.

G.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:48 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Are you guys going to make a mold?
SidewaysLS4 is online now Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:04 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Are you guys going to make a mold?
Hey Sideways,
Yeah, thats the idea. Next time we get together we are going to start looking for routing services in Orlando so I can have the mold cut.

G.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
You are a CHAMPION!

I congratulate you! this is obviously the best idea to ever surface in the scaler forums!

Good luck -

ben
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Oh and one more thing - check out the work that has already been done on 3D modelling awesome Hughes 500's in hovercontrol.com downloads section (look for nemeth h500) and also the x-plane.org downloads section for version 9xx

they are all free models and you can convert them back into whatever format you are using - just make sure to get permission or something if you use one. but the modelling is pretty spot on.

also, I made up a dodosim powered hughes 500D for fs2004 with the correct spool start up procedure and such. was pretty cool.

and the x-planes h500 made by steve (i think - its all in x-plane.org download section) is amazing, correct start and one awesome flight model. the only thing lacking is x-plane's transition model for translation, and the n1 spool is somewhat "accelerated" maybe in a year Austin will fix it haha.
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
That is really cool.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Hey Ben, thanks man.

Some of the best 500D models that I've seen online are the ones that you have to pay a lot of money for.

This model initial purpose was to become a 3D mold so I didn't bother with making interior or going nuts with a detailed rotor head, at least not for now. I still have more work to do on it.

The X-plane's 500D Hughes, made by Brett S. IIRC I know very well. It flies awesome and its superbly modeled.

I didn't want to deal with copyrighted materials or anything like that so I went ahead and modeled the one Defender I like the best. I've also modeled multiple configurations for it as well, including the old "Loach" and the MMS TOW variant which I've never seen done before. (Mast Mounted Sight).

G.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Here's a whole bunch of 500D photos for reference if you need some more...

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...-by-160th-SOAR
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Here's a whole bunch of 500D photos for reference if you need some more...

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...-by-160th-SOAR
Whoah, some good ones in there... good find!

I've downloaded the ones I didn't have already, thanks!

G.

Hmmm, those pictures look like the MH-6 Little bird, right?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:26 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
XMB-X (or is it MH-6M?) is 6 bladed head with 2 pairs of cascading tail.

So far, I did not see any 6 bladed head except home made or Vario.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Yup, they have some of those mission enhanced littebirds in there too. (MELB)
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
Hey Sideways,
Yeah, thats the idea. Next time we get together we are going to start looking for routing services in Orlando so I can have the mold cut.

G.
Good luck with finding someone here in the states to do the work at an affordable price. Ask me how I know...... But really it is expensive. Find a hobbyist most likely he'll do it for way less than a shop will. Ive made all my molds and if I had to have all my molds made by a shop Id would have spent close to a Million dollars (Not exaggerating) Even for some of the smallest parts I was looking at hundreds of dollars. I walked away from one shop and went and looked in a mirror to see if I really looked that stupid. Get this, This was for limited run or temporary molds. Even sending it over to the Chinese will cost a bit. I dont know how they got my email addy but they solicit me all the time about wanting to make stuff for me.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk View Post
Good luck with finding someone here in the states to do the work at an affordable price. Ask me how I know...... But really it is expensive. Find a hobbyist most likely he'll do it for way less than a shop will. Ive made all my molds and if I had to have all my molds made by a shop Id would have spent close to a Million dollars (Not exaggerating) Even for some of the smallest parts I was looking at hundreds of dollars. I walked away from one shop and went and looked in a mirror to see if I really looked that stupid. Get this, This was for limited run or temporary molds. Even sending it over to the Chinese will cost a bit. I dont know how they got my email addy but they solicit me all the time about wanting to make stuff for me.
Darth,
I figured it would be a bit of money, but what you're saying really sounds expensive, that is a big no-no. The reason behind having a routing service cut the mold is that all the details could be put in the "master" from the 3D model but if it is that expensive... I've also seen advertised some 3d printing services that 'seemed' affordable around town, obviously, the scale of the molds or the parts to print will dictate the price as well. Like my friend said: worst comes to worst then we'll be cutting the mold ourselves... which he stated that was an "easy" process in and out of itself but extremely time consuming.

Thank you very much. I'll probably see my friend today at the field and talk about options and I'll definitively bring this up.

G.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Hornet View Post
XMB-X (or is it MH-6M?) is 6 bladed head with 2 pairs of cascading tail.

So far, I did not see any 6 bladed head except home made or Vario.

SH
Hey SH,
Most MH-6 are 5 blades right? It seems that only a handful are 6 blades.

One more thing: the name XMB-X is just a name I've made up for this project and its just my own little naming convention. MB stands for MiniBichus (Spanish slang) the X stands for its a "work in progress" and the last X I guess it just sounded cool and doesn't mess with my own helicopters numerical sequence.

G.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
AH6M...6 blades/quad tail...shoots stuff

MH6M...6 blades/quad tail...not shooting stuff

A/MH6X...a UAV version