HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2010, 08:31 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I now have both the 32" and 42" Sbach kits for sale on my site.
I just finished my 42" and flew it. It flew real good. There were not any twist or flex problems and control was good. I look forward to really ringing this one out and also getting a better pilot than me behind the sticks.
I will try to get video later today.
Mike
www.midwestfoamplanes.com
Got mine ordered, can't wait. Got all the gear ready.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
I just finished my 42" and flew it. It flew real good. There were not any twist or flex problems and control was good. I look forward to really ringing this one out and also getting a better pilot than me behind the sticks.
Mike
Mike it would be great if you can compare the flight performance of the 32" with the 32 Edge and Yak, and the 42" version with the 42 Edge. Shorter tail moment holds promise and caution at the same time

I had an EPP plane that had a short tail and I was not particularly fond of it, moved around too much in 3D and needed more input than the rest to stay where it should. I always considered it for advanced pilots only. It was harder to fly but on the other hand could spin, tumble and generally do the chaotic style maneuvers very quickly and tightly. It would snap like no other EPP plane I had, more like a balsa plane.
4Dim is offline Find More Posts by 4Dim
Old May 03, 2010, 10:01 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,819 Posts
Both sizes of Sbach seem to have real good authority in all directions. The 32" will rudder turn practically at the wing tip. The 42" makes a wider turn.
To compare the three planes:

Yak-slower and the flight is more deliberate. Better for beginner and learning acro.

Edge-more crisp/snappy response will do more than the Yak. Can do very abrupt pitch manuvers like the wall. Best in knife edge. Fast.

Sbach-less snappy in pitch than the Edge but very manuverable. Fast. I cannot wait to get it in the hands of a good pilot and let them wring it out. It does not seem to be unstable as the strait lines are good. It is just taking some getting used to how much authority the tail has. It is easy to over control. I feel it is better in knife edge than the Yak but not as good as the edge. It is good in hover if you do not over control it.

I cannot say that I like one better that the other as they all fly good but in different ways. Luck for me I have one of each!

It would be interesting to do a short coupled Edge as I think it would be the most extreme of all of these but I do not want to do a non scale plane. Anyone know of a short coupled plane with a strait leading edge? I might compare the T version to the other versions.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old May 03, 2010, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
994 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going for your Edge 32 when my Yak throws the towel.
When it comes to looks, as long as it looks more or less like the original airplane its fine, longer here, shorter there, not really an issue. Performance first. If it gets better flight performance, go for it. I saw in some other designs that people move the canopy forward for example, I am guessing for more neutral KE.
4Dim is offline Find More Posts by 4Dim
Old May 04, 2010, 07:59 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dim View Post
When it comes to looks, as long as it looks more or less like the original airplane its fine, longer here, shorter there, not really an issue. Performance first. If it gets better flight performance, go for it.
I agree.
WrightSideUp is offline Find More Posts by WrightSideUp
Old May 04, 2010, 01:41 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Quote:
Mike
Ordered a 42" in red/black. Hope to get this going soon.
Thanks for putting these kits together.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old May 06, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
What size carbon rods are you guys using for the wing and elevator for the 32" plans that are posted in this thread?

And are they rods or tubes?
arsenic0 is offline Find More Posts by arsenic0
Old May 06, 2010, 11:02 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,819 Posts
I prefer a 4mm tube 24" long.
Mike
Old May 06, 2010, 11:04 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,819 Posts
If you haven't seen it yet, here is my 42" Sbach build thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post15030271
Mike
Old May 07, 2010, 08:58 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hi arsenic0,

Since the first Sbach I built was constructed using 4.5mm foam, I used 3mm carbon tube. The one in the wing is 26" long, and the one in the elevator is as long as the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer.

For the second one I just finished building, I used the same exact tubes pulled out of plane #1, even though now I'm using 6mm foam. (For this one, I actually substituted a wooden dowel for the elevator rod; a bamboo skewer will work also)

Feel free to post updates if you're building an Sbach.

-Vincent
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Last edited by Spitfire222; May 07, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old May 07, 2010, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Ok thanks, and thanks Motorhead, but those 42" go together much differently it looks like than the plans that are posted here.
arsenic0 is offline Find More Posts by arsenic0
Old May 07, 2010, 04:48 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,819 Posts
The 42" link was just an FYI for everyone. The 32" is different.
Mike
Old May 11, 2010, 06:05 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,769 Posts
I keep forgetting to ask, where is the cg on the SBach. I got mine yesterday and I will be setting it up tonight. Thanks. Everything is the usual quality, great kit. Hope I can fly this week, looks like rain so who knows.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,819 Posts
Oddly enough I have both my 32" and 42" at the spar which is 3" from the leading edge at the root. I am still playing with the CG a little but it should be real close.
Mike
Old May 11, 2010, 10:20 AM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know of a short coupled plane with a strait leading edge?
Mike
Just for grins, do a Slick.. I'd wager you'd have a strong following on that one..

That's the only plane that I fly that just does things "normal" planes can't.
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan