HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Sterling,

I would feel really bad if I messed up the plans somehow and you couldn't get them to line up.
-Vincent
Don't worry about it Vincent. I'm positive it's something on my end. I'll get it one way or another.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2008
9 Posts
The florida connection is awaiting it arival, then to joe nall !!!
HUNTERNFLA is offline Find More Posts by HUNTERNFLA
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:07 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Well I got the wing cores for the 42" Sbach today. They look great and match my template perfectly. I am working the weekend but should get one built on Monday and will fly it. I will do a build log and flight video.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hey guys,

I finally found some time to build a new Sbach. This one is being made out of 6mm gray Depron instead of the 4.5 mm Dollar Tree foam. Got most of the parts cut out and gluing up some pieces as we speak. It will have the same gear as the first. Hopefully I'll get some pics this weekend.

Mike, good news, looking forward to the build and video. Thanks for the shout out on the Sbach page on your website!

-Vincent
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old May 01, 2010, 07:05 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well I got the wing cores for the 42" Sbach today. They look great and match my template perfectly. I am working the weekend but should get one built on Monday and will fly it. I will do a build log and flight video.
Mike
Sounds good, you sure know how to get things done. I am ready and waiting.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 01, 2010, 11:36 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Cryhavoc, I'm jealous! The reason I made the foamie is because, though I'd love to have a bigger one, I don't have the ability (nor the funds) to fly them while at college. There's a nice park less 1/4 of a mile away though, perfect for foamies.

Hope you enjoy it, it's such a nice looking plane. Personally, I think this should be the next plane that manufacturers pick up on....I'm so sick of Yaks and Edges, etc...WAY too many of them!

So true, I was so yak'ed out I designed the Yedge and Vector. But you can't take away what the epp yak has done for this hobby. Anway, I finialy had a chance to read through the thread. Looks nice, love the attention to detail on the paint. After seeing some videos I'm wondering how well she torque rolls and hovers since she looks like she could be a hand full do to the short coupling. Again it's nice to see a new design take a good light, I'd love to get my hands on one and see how she flys. Is this a scratch build still or is it now available as a kit?
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Twisted Realm; May 01, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 12:08 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
You can get it here: http://www.midwestfoamplanes.com/pro...32sbach342.php
WrightSideUp is offline Find More Posts by WrightSideUp
Old May 03, 2010, 11:22 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Twisted Realm: Glad to see more interest! The short tail moment was a slight concern when I considered the design. However, I was very pleased with the way it performed. I actually believe it was easier for me to hover this plane than my old E-Flite Tribute that had a relatively long tail moment. The plane is very stable in general flight, yet is very snappy and responsive. I think you'll enjoy it!

The plane featured in my posts is a scratchbuild from plans I drew from a 3-view. This plans are available either tiled or whole in the first page of posts. However, Mike (motorhead) used this thread/plans as a starting point for a commercial kit of the Sbach that he is selling in 32" and 42" wingspan versions. The link was posted above by WrightSideUp.

Btw, if you take closer look, you'll notice that the "paint" job is actually colored tissue paper! I posted some info about in the first few posts in this thread.

-Vincent
Old May 03, 2010, 01:24 PM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Ok, so the Sbach #2 is essentially flight ready. Just have to organize the wires, check CG, re-set throws, and maybe decorate it. Pretty windy and overcast today with thrunderstorms threatening, so now maiden today, but I should be able to do it sometime this week.

Some changes/differences from #1:
-The turtledeck of the real 342 is curved, and is part of what makes this plane look so sleek. The picture I used for reference show a straight turtledeck, so that's what featured on the plans and on #1. This time, I just freehand cut a curve to more closely match the full scale. Looks great!

-On #1, I had some issued with the motor and mount ripping out, even on relatively soft landings, so I added some reinforcement foam behind the mount. I think most of the problem stems from the direct attachment of the prop to the shaft, so I will try to get some flex-mount prop adapters with the O-ring attachment method. For now, I'll fly it the way it is.

Probably not going to decorate this one with the Thunderbolt design, and not even sure I'll use tissue paper. I'll be sure to post pics when it's all finished, and I'll try to get a video.

-Vincent
Old May 03, 2010, 02:42 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Looks good in the Black depron.
Mike
Old May 03, 2010, 02:43 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
I now have both the 32" and 42" Sbach kits for sale on my site.
I just finished my 42" and flew it. It flew real good. There were not any twist or flex problems and control was good. I look forward to really ringing this one out and also getting a better pilot than me behind the sticks.
I will try to get video later today.
Mike
www.midwestfoamplanes.com
Old May 03, 2010, 05:56 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I now have both the 32" and 42" Sbach kits for sale on my site.
I just finished my 42" and flew it. It flew real good. There were not any twist or flex problems and control was good. I look forward to really ringing this one out and also getting a better pilot than me behind the sticks.
I will try to get video later today.
Mike
www.midwestfoamplanes.com
Congratulations Mike!

I'm looking forward to the video and maybe a turn at the sticks when I get back in town.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 03, 2010, 07:13 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
hi Mike,

what's the difference between beefy and standard kits? Scanned your site, but didn't see the difference. Thanks

pootman
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old May 03, 2010, 07:41 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
A standard kit is made from 1.3 lb foam. The beefy is 1.5 lb foam. I like the beefy kits for outdoor and the standard kits for indoor where I am trying to save weight. Right now the 32" Sbach is only available in Beefy until I take care of the tail twist for the standard kits.
Mike
Old May 03, 2010, 08:11 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
Thanks, Mike! Just saw the info on your site after a second look.
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman