SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:36 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Please keep us updated on the big one....let us know if you start a build/assembly thread.

You're welcome for the plans...I just noticed that the untiled version doesn't have the measurement scale on it. I would love to hear if you or someone else builds this plane and what they think of it since it's my first attempt at drawing plans.
I will.
These have finally arrived and are in the dealer's hands.
Will be picking mine up tomorrow after work!
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:57 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Any idea what size one of these I'd have to build for a 35-36c 1100kv with 2200mah packs?

Flew the SBach for a pack this afternoon. Did my first knife edge passes outside of the sim and they were easier in real life.

Elevator hotglue hinges came loose, I'll have to thicken them up a little bit next time. Tons of lightweight depron fun.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old Apr 08, 2010, 10:41 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,901 Posts
What are you guys thoughts on how short coupled this plane is. Now granted I have done flow it yet. I am thinking of streching it a little.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 08, 2010, 10:52 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
You read my mind Mike. I know a lot less about this than you do, but I was thinking the same thing after I taped up the plans. Maybe an inch or 1 1/2" ?

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:05 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What are you guys thoughts on how short coupled this plane is. Now granted I have done flow it yet. I am thinking of streching it a little.
Mike
I think on the small one I would have a tendency to leave it the way it is, it seems like on the lighter planes they aren't as pitchy due to their weight. With the 42"version you are going to build[hint,hint] I would try adding an inch or so, it seems like the larger planes need it to avoid being too pitchy, I think it's due to the extra mass.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Apr 09, 2010, 08:15 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
The plans are drawn from 3 views of the full scale, and when I was drawing it, I did notice how short-coupled the plane was. I was a little concerned that this would introduce "negative" flight characteristics, but I think it flew ok the way it was. I'm no expert 3D pilot, but I found it relatively easy to hover compared to some foamies I've owned, including some that had very long tail moments. I'm pretty sure lengthening the fuse would only improve it! Let us know if you do decide to lengthen it and how it flies!

-Vincent
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Apr 09, 2010, 04:26 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
After watching your video I'd have to disagree with you on your flying abilities Vincent! Part of my concern over the coupling comes from knowing that I'm not at your level yet. My thought was that if it was "square" (same wing span and length) it wouldn't be as sensitive. I'm sure it would also take away from the 3D capabilities somewhat, but at my current level that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. But then again, I could be completely wrong too.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Apr 09, 2010, 04:36 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,982 Posts
It would be interesting to see how this plane would tumble, and if it would do a decent knife edge spin. I'm thinking with the short tail moment that the potential for this is good. I love doing these types of maneuvers and would like to have a smaller plane for this. I just ordered a 32" edge from Midwestfoamplanes and am hoping this will do these moves. I am still going to build a SBach, but I am either going to build it from 9mm EPP or do a full fuse version , but I might just wait until the 42" kit comes out.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:44 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
The batteries im using, 25c 3s 850's, weigh 65grams.
So with everything except battery mine comes to 238-240 grams.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Last edited by JaggedEdge; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 10:11 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,901 Posts
I went ahead and built one per the 3-view and will fly it first before I mod it. I agree that if the short fuse does not have any bad habits then why mess with it.
Mike
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,901 Posts
I got to fly indoors today. I like how it flys per the 3-view. No bad habits. It will even knife edge on the left side with out coupling. I had some tail twist that showed up when knife edge on the right side and when rolling fast but it is due to poor glue joint from the horiz to vert. I will fix it and fly it again. If it still has twist then I might widen the fuselage 3/4".
Even with the short tail moment it is real stable. It has a nice tight loops both inside and out. Harrier is pretty good though another 1/2" on the tail might improve it a little. I will pin a piece on for the next flight to see the difference.
Roll rate with the ailerons cut per the 3-view was good but I know that people like them to spin like a top so I will recut the ailerons for more at the root and see how it does. Vincent, it looks like you did this on your plans?
Mike
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
750 Posts
Sweet! Built a couple of EPP Yak55s, this would be an awesome next foamie!!!

pootman
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,901 Posts
Well I cut 3/8" wide pieces and pinned them to the sides of the fuselage and it did not look good. I may just widen the tail in front of the horizontal stab just a little. I am trying to reduce the tail twist a little more. I did glue the fuse together better and it did help.
I flew mine out side and the loops at half throttle are REAL tight. I like it. I forgot to try to extend the rudder so see a change in harrier flight.
I added 3/4" to the root chord of the ailerons and it did up the roll rate. I think I will keep this change.
I will probably get some 42" wings cut this week so I will start on that one soon.
Mike
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:10 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well I cut 3/8" wide pieces and pinned them to the sides of the fuselage and it did not look good. I may just widen the tail in front of the horizontal stab just a little. I am trying to reduce the tail twist a little more. I did glue the fuse together better and it did help.
I flew mine out side and the loops at half throttle are REAL tight. I like it. I forgot to try to extend the rudder so see a change in harrier flight.
I added 3/4" to the root chord of the ailerons and it did up the roll rate. I think I will keep this change.
I will probably get some 42" wings cut this week so I will start on that one soon.
Mike
Me first on the 42" version, I haven't bought a new plane in almost a week!!!lol.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:09 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Sterling, in all honesty, the plane makes me look like a better pilot. In that video, that was the plane's 2nd flight, and I hadn't flown in months! I feel like, so far, the plane is capable enough for 3D flying if setup correctly, but is a good 3D trainer also.

Mike, yes, the plans call for the ailerons to be cut all the way to the wing root. Not scale, but I figured it was a must for a 3D foamie! Glad to hear you like how it flies!

Pootman, enough Yak's! Build an Sbach and help begin the Sbach revolution!

For all you other guys, feel free to post pics or videos of Sbach's you build, and any modifications. I would love to hear about any differences in flight characteristics with a slightly lengthened fuse.
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222