HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
I added a little more to my note, above..
Kinda sounds like yer one busy fellow, must be a youngster, I'm just 76... ha ha..
Oh ya, working on the weights of the creature now.
Art
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Pics of some of the finer points of the Sbach 20" for those interested.
Hi StormdriverOne.That 20'' do look good and fly very well too.I like it.
I am planning on building a 20" WS will be using HK 10g motor and 2s 360mah,can you tell me where is the best CG for 3D flying? and is there benificial to do the wing with KF4?
Thank you.
Matk
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:21 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
More than anything else, the KFM4 wing is stiffer. It handles speed very well and tracks nicely but is still light enough for 3D. The 360 mAh batteries might be too heavy for 3D. It's very sensitive to weight and balance at that size. I used 250 mAh packs for mine. I always start with my CG on the wing spar, fly, adjust, fly inverted, adjust again if needed. I like it neutral for 3D.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:58 AM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
Thankx a bunch, I do have couple smaller pack as well to try, what is the weight of your 20'' WS ?( ready to fly) just rough cut peices out add Electronic , servos ,motor ESC Battery so far 3.75oz all 3mm depron.
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I believe mine was 3.4 without the battery and 3.8 with.

I sold my own personal Sbach 26" last night for the cost of the electronics inside. A friend made an offer and I needed it to fund the electronics for a new plane. I totaled everything up and sold it, Futaba S3114s and all. He called me tonight and told me it was the most fun plane he's ever flown!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:25 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
STDRO.... OK, weighed all parts, before construction and painting, and so far, it's come out at 6 oz. This includes the receiver, motor, servos, and ESC..
Now, add the weight of the glue, and painting and it should come out at around 7 to 8 oz.
Not to bad, eh??
It's all 5mm EPP with 4.5mm depron for the rudder and the elevator is "Pink" insulation foam, sliced down to 4.5mm. Oh ya, and blue 4.5mm foam for the ailerons...
Motor is the E-Max 2805, ESC is the Castle 36A, lipo will be a 2C 750ma. Not using landing gear, heck, don't need this added weight, (I hope!).
The markings will be done with markers, black and red.. Practically no weight from thise.
Oh yes, CF??? One 35" long, 1/8" dia, and one pc, 10" long, 3/32" for the elevator.
Hey, by golly, I might have a winner here....
Pics to follow upon completion, before I test fly...
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Almost ready, motor to mount, electronics to mount, and finish the markings, but it's getting nearer..
Oh ya, so far, AUW is 67gr.. 2.9oz.. Now the rest of the junk on it..
And, the wingspan didn't work out to 40", it's 35", but none the less, it's a new one...
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:10 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hello everyone!

Apologies for the long absence! At first glance being back, it seems that my little Sbach 342 plans have taken a life of their own and I am extremely pleased with their success. I have finally completed my Master's in aerospace engineering, which took up all my building and flying time. I am currently looking for jobs, but after going to my old club's 4th of July fun-fly yesterday, I remembered again how much fun this hobby is!

During my studies, I still managed to build and almost finish a foam re-make of a Spectra motorglider, who's electronics were gutted from my Sbach #2. I think I will put them back in to the Sbach to get it flying again!

Hope you guys are enjoying the Sbach!
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:23 PM
vancouver washington
Joined Apr 2010
75 Posts
Congrats on the achievement there! Looks like your sbach plans are a big hit. I love the looks on the sbach.
Derek242 is offline Find More Posts by Derek242
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Hi everyone,

I know this thread is very old, but I am still flying my Sbach. I just love this plane.

A lot as changed since my last post. I found a great job, moved halfway across the country, and have settled in and am back to building and flying. So far, quite a few of my co-workers have showed interest in RC, especially after I slapped the company logo on the Sbach. I plan on throwing together a quick foamie trainer to teach them how to fly. Enjoy some photos of my latest outing. I hope you guys enjoyed the plane as much as I do!
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
329 Posts
i've just finished mine. can't wait to get it up!
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
329 Posts
This little bugger could become one of my favourits. Wat I wanted was something small that I could open the back door and toss i the air. I can't remember the motor I'm useing as I stole it from another model I had planed to build ages ago. With a SF 9x7 prop she is amazing. It tends to twist in the rear but a couple Carbon rods will sort that quick enough. Floats right out of the hand on half and she needs not much more. A 3s 860mah lipo could easily go for 8-10 mins with enough for a couple go arounds.

Winds were at 9mph with gusts up to 13mph or so. She took it all in stride albeit buffeted about. Toss it in the back seat and fly whenever you like. This says it all.

Thanks guys.
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts

I downloaded the plans, but what material should i build with and where is the cheapest place to buy?
Kelly
khensga is offline Find More Posts by khensga
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:18 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
I like 6mm Depron Aero for profile foamies under 30" and 9mm EPP for anything bigger. I've used both 1.3 and 1.9 lb EPP and both have their pros and cons. I get mine from www.rcfoam.com and my latest order took two days to arrive.

I love this plane. I've built and flown many ranging from 20 to 38 inches wide. I've built them for friends, for friends of friends and for people I don't know. I must have cut a dozen or more of these beauties. I've even got a template of a 26" version made from 1/4" MDF. The most fun I ever had with this plane was always 26" wide with a strong 24g motor like the Motrolfly 2215-1800 on 2S.

But now... I have designed my own variation of this Sbach. I used the same pictures from Xtremeair.com that Spitfire222 used so obviously there will be some similarities but there are also some pretty major differences. Mwahaahaa! I've got EPP and depron versions built and ready to fly. I'm just waiting on some nice weather, which we haven't had in weeks, to shoot some video and post my plans in a new thread.

Have fun building and flying this excellent little foamy!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
152 Posts
SD One, Hurry Hurry with the plans thread. I need something to build.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22