HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2001, 01:11 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
I took my wife to the flying field...

Today we had some good weather for the first time in a while. So, I suggested that we go together to the flying field. Well, the response was good and anyway she wanted to see what this ‘F5B’ thing is all about.

When we got there, I used my Simprop Rabbit with its Hacker B40 7 cell setup and was flying it having loads of fun. I was then pleasantly surprised to hear the following:
“Go higher, and then make it go straight down till it almost hits the ground…no, higher than that! Can’t it go faster??”

So the rest of the time was spent doing vertical climbs followed by whistling low passes over the field, whilst being pushed to go lower to the ground and faster each time I came across the field! I think she really enjoyed it, so maybe at future F5B events I will have my own timer/talker (possibly that’s pushing things a bit…!)

On the way home, I was told to slow down. So I fly too slowly, and drive too fast... just can't win!
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2001, 04:10 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Kyri,
Are you shure she wasn't attempting to get you to crash???!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Last edited by Don Sims; Sep 23, 2001 at 06:22 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2001, 08:41 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
My wife comes out to our field quite regularly. She enjoys watching the flying but the fellowship is worth the time. All the wives really get in to the pot-luck thing and watching everyone make pigs of themselves.

It helps the hobby along too when they support you instead of fight your interests.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Sep 23, 2001, 09:55 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2000
250 Posts
Last time I tried this, the whole family came to the field with me (Father's Day). Unfortunately I crunched two planes in quick succession. This did not particularly impress my wife, who proceeded to question my sanity for spending all my spare time and cash in building things that are doomed to destruction. My son, who has been flying with me a couple of times before, was a little more sympathetic. "Dad, it's because I was here -- I jinxed you, didn't I." (I explained to him that I function very effectively as my own jinx, thanks) My daughter still claims to want to try flying herself, but I think she is humouring me.

In short, RC is not yet a "family activity" in our house.
gordonbw is offline Find More Posts by gordonbw
Old Sep 23, 2001, 10:18 AM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2000
258 Posts
My wife and 11 y/o daughter both fly. The wife will fly anything foamey but refuses to fly anything I own that I've spent considerable time on or have attachment to. Maybe that would be a good start for you as well, buy a Lite-Stick and let them beat it up.

The daughter flies a lite-Stick and has had stick time on other park flyers. My two boys have had time but don't have the bug yet. The youngest can't get enough of planes. Here she is at 9 months and 13 months

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200.../samantha1.jpg

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200.../samantha2.jpg

Set up the Sim on the PC and let them have at it!
mrtim is offline Find More Posts by mrtim
Old Sep 23, 2001, 03:07 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
mrtim,

IMOHO, forget the LS and go for an EPP foamy like the Push E Cat. Once she finds out it can do "bounce and goes" the cringe factor is nill.

First big rule though (This one took me a long time to learn) - laugh, laugh, laugh! They're only material things and the bonding and fellowship will be remembered long after it's gone.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Old Sep 23, 2001, 08:10 PM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2000
258 Posts
I agree with the Push-E-Cat. Bounce factor is the key. The only reason I said L.S. is that we fly it in the Park a block away. I fly mine in the front yard. A Push-E would require a 15 minute car ride.
mrtim is offline Find More Posts by mrtim
Old Sep 24, 2001, 01:20 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
I just got a Futaba 'like new' trainer box from eBay for $25! I will be able to teach my 9-yr old girl now!
I've got an old 2M e-power glider and am just finishing a GWS Tiger Moth for some front-yard flyin fun.

I can't wait for her to get hooked!

"But Hon, I really need that new Hitec Eclipse so I can train her better!".

Brian Christie
brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie
Old Sep 24, 2001, 02:32 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Sounds like you’ve been cleared to buy a faster airplane.

“Well honey, I’ve had my eye on this 27-cell ship. Just think how fast I could go with 20 more cells.”

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 24, 2001, 03:23 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
Pete,
Thats a great idea! I was lucky enough to be given a crashed Surprise wing, which I repaired. A fuse and tail are on the way, so it won't seem like a bought a whole new plane...
I was secretly thinking whilst flying the Rabbit, that she's sure going to enjoy the Surprise!

Maybe I will get a Lite-stik or something for her to try and fly, but I think the real enjoyment came from the fact that we shared the fun of flying. Another comment was that it was great because it was quiet except for the whistle!
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Sep 24, 2001, 03:39 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
You're a lucky man Kyri. The last girl I dated thought my HLG was pretty neat, until she learned I had another 6 or 7 airplanes at home...oh well.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 24, 2001, 09:35 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
My wife wishes I ONLY had 6 or 7 more at home.
Old Sep 24, 2001, 10:08 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny when a friend brought his wife to out field. As soon as his plane was ready to fly and he was out at the flightline, she started playing "Taps" with a make believe trumpet. Sure enough, his plane ended up on it's nose in the middle of the runway. I looked back and she seemed to have an "I told you so" look on her face. Does this qualify him for two more planes just because she did that, I think so!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 24, 2001, 11:05 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
The last girl I had a date with thought that R/C flying was a cross between heroin addiction and devil worship.Best of luck finding that R/C dream girl guys.. I don't think she exists.
tic is online now Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:51 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,165 Posts
You just have to find the right woman......took me 38 years of looking and i put a ring on her finger this past June.

She knew i was an RC Plane junky and Car Nut when we met....and although she may not share the passion i have for these hobbies, she encourages me and attends events with me too. I'll never forget the first time i let her into my "Hanger" - about 20 planes all over and boxes of kits, a huge 4x8' building table in the middle of the room covered in a total mess ....LOL She said i was such a kid at heart

She was just at the NEAT fair for 2 days with me and we camped out in a tent overnight (with our adopted 2yr old Labridore too !!). She likes watching me fly too.....

I have a few classic muscle cars - i was in the middle of restoring one when we met, and she flew with me to Denver CO. when i bought another after only 4 months of dating. She didnt think it was crazy buying a 30 yr old station wagon (of all things), sight unseen, then flying across the country to DRIVE it back.....In fact, she asked if she could come along !!! ....It was a great trip. She goes with me to the Drag races when i show and race my car and although she thinks its crazy racing a car i've spent so much time and money on, she supports me anyways

When we went looking for a house, we found a nice home with a 4.5 car garage. Of course i was excited about that !!......but the house was nice and she had to like it too. She said the house was perfect - a nice cozy place to start our lives together.......and a big huge playroom for me - OUTSIDE of the house- to keep all of my toys

Im very happy.....and quite lucky i kept searching for the right woman and didn't give up

Alan W
Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W