HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Build Log
Schapel SA-882 semi-scale 1:8

Hi,

we have a project on the Schapel SA-882 in 1:8 running at www.ig-horten.de. It has 1.3 m span, weights 1.3 kg and is made mostly out of plywood (birch and popplar). Today the first prototype flew succesfully . We still have to work on unleashing the power/speed of the design (i.e. down thrust and so on).

We have been working on two variants: semi-scale (the one that flew today) and one that was mainly designed/constructed for speed flight. We named the second one "Rabiat" in german, which means more or less in english "brutal" or "hostile".

I though you might be interested in reading/watching a short build log. I commented the pics. The time to build the plane is about two to three weeks working every day a couple of hours after work.

Greetings,

Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:35 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Video of Maiden Flight

Hi,

we made a short video of the maiden flight, well actually only of the start. Even so, I hope you enjoy it:

Video of the maiden flight

Greetings,

Andrés
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
California
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
Beautiful work!!!!

Any more pic's. Another vid? In the last vid your wing just vanashed.
Larry21603 is offline Find More Posts by Larry21603
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:54 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Thanks Larry!

As soon as the weather allows, I will make a better video. Already when we shot the last video it was freezing, although we had no snow. Now we have a temp between -8 and -10 °C (from 14 to 12 °F) and a couple of inches of snow. It's tough to fly when your hands hurt ...

Greetings,

Andrés
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:37 AM
California
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
I hear stories about white stuff that falls on the ground and makes things cold but I live in Southern California and we don't believe everything we hear (lol).

More still shots would be great?

What kind of Tx setup are you planning?

Are you going to try an onboard mixer and gyro setup?

And do you plan to build a scaled up version?

Cheers,
Larry
Larry21603 is offline Find More Posts by Larry21603
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi Larry,

yeah, I know what you mean. My parents live in Ensenada (Baja) and they have pretty much the climate of San Diego (if not even dryer and hotter). Sometimes I miss that weather here in Germany.

I will try to make some shots tomorrow. Maybe even a video Wheather is pretty here, though.

Quote:
What kind of Tx setup are you planning?
Are you going to try an onboard mixer and gyro setup?
And do you plan to build a scaled up version?
Actually pretty much of the magic is inside the aerodynamic design. Therfore no "weird" mixers have to be programemd in the Tx or onboard. A gyro is also not needed. The only things you need is, to use some exponential (50%) to get nice smooth controls near center position and some differentiation of the ruders (50%, i.e. half downward deflection). Thats all Oh, I was forgetting , I will have to mix some elevator down to the motor to compensate a strong climbing. I might also optimize the motor angle.

At the moment we are not thinking of building a larger one, but you never now The nice thing of the small one is, that you have a great mass to power ratio

Greetings,

Andrés
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:45 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi,

we had good weather today! We shot a short footage of the Schapel. It's difficult to film the plane in the air, but this time there is a lot more film material (even a landing) than last time

Here's the video:

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/af2cb9c7...882-semi-scale

Have fun,

Andrés
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:13 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Well,

short, but it's worth to watch it. Really spectacular wing.

Regards and congratulations.

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Feb 06, 2010, 02:21 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Thanks Lothar!

Here is another video, but this time it's from the speed version. Yesterday it had its maiden flight. Everything went quiet good, although we lost a motor screw in the first flight and Michael had to find a new one. We still have to optimize the motor angle too.

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/8ca5aa13...A-882-Erstflug

Enjoy,

Andrés
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:03 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
First 120 mph flights

Hi,

we had a chance at the weekend to make some speed flights. Weather conditions are everything else than optimal (cloudy and freezing). Even so Michael reached 190 km/h (120 mph) in a dive. We determined the value using Doppler. Maybe we have access to a radar next weekend. The motor is still able to deliver 200 W more. Michael is choosing the right propeller. We are very confident, that the speed version will be substantially faster than 125 mph with the used setup: a helicopter outrunner with 3200 kV and peak 700W with 4S Lipo.

Here is a video:

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/8170d064...digkeitsfluege

It's kind of difficult to see the plane, but the speed can be recognized very well in the second flight.

Enjoy,

Andrés
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi,

I uploaded a HD Version of the movie on Vimeo:

Speed flight with a Horten flying wing rc-model of the Schapel SA-882 (4 min 28 sec)

Enjoy

Andrés
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:33 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Yesterday Michael had a crash when he was going to land. We had an onboard key cam and filmed how the plane went into a fence

The left wing was damaged, but the spars are still fine. The right servo was killed (Futaba metall gear servo for 45€). He is going to repair the plane as soon as possible...

Here is the video:
http://www.rcmovie.de/video/c29eb0d7...h-Speed-Horten

Enjoy ,

Andrés
Old May 09, 2010, 05:43 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi,

yesterday we did a GPS log of Micheal's Schapel. We logged 214 km/h or 133 mph (look at graph), although the logger and the battery of the logger substantially increased drag (you could hear the unattached flow).

I guess without the logger and diving a little deeper, he would have managed to reach 230 km/h or 140 mph.

Greetings,

Andrés
Old May 11, 2010, 02:39 PM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Turbo-Schapel

BTW, we are planning a new Schapel with a span of ca. 2,10 m, i.e. 1:5 scale. The propulsion will we somewhat different, well actually a lot stronger, than in the former one. Have a look yourself

Greetings,

Andrés

p.d. yes, it's a 25N Kolibri turbine!
Last edited by andrecillo76; May 12, 2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Yeah, I'd say that's quite different

Can I ask what you use to start? It kinda looks like a combination of rubber and a winch to me? Seems easy to start even this heavier plane. I could use something like that for my (crashed, being rebuilt) F16. Lovely planes!
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly