HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:16 AM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
Discussion
Comparing Blade SR to T-rex 250/EXI clone

I am going to be moving up from an MSR, and I am considering the Blade SR as my next heli. However, I don't like the direct drive tail for a 3d bird--when I get there skillwise--and I like the size and capabilities of the 250 size T-rex/EXI clone. I have been doing some research, and it appears that the stability of the SR is due to the flybar weights and turning down the throws on the servos. So, I was wondering what you guys think about adding flybar weights to the 250 and turning down the servo throws to make it a more docile flier while learning? Also, I have a Dx6i to fly the heli's with.

Lee
LeeAW is offline Find More Posts by LeeAW
Last edited by LeeAW; Jan 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I would still say moving from an mSR to a t-rex 250 is.... brave.

I have a now fairly nicely kitted up 250, and it is still a bit of a handful for me - it was my first CP machine too, although I've flown about a lot with hbfp's, a fp guru-z conversion from that, and various other little beasts.

It's certainly doable but bear in mind it will never be as stable as the blade SR because it's simply designed to be mental. It'd be a bit like putting a weighted rucksack on usain bolt - granted he'll slow down but he'll still kick your arse.

However, if you take your time and learn properly it's not unthinkable although many will claim it is. All things considered something bigger would be a better choice no doubt but if you can learn to fly the 250 you'll be able to fly anything.

The one thing i will say is don't skimp on the tail servo and gyro on these small birds, they really benefit from having a good quality setup. Personally I have found the Spartan Quark gyro and JR ds290g tail servo to be a killer combo for the tail.

I would also recommend a sim if you don't have one - phoenix sim is fantastic and will work with your dx6i with their standard dongle. It will help you get a handle on trying things out in the sim first then going and trying them out for real.

In fact getting phoenix sim first might give you a good idea of whether you can handle the skittish t-rex 250 or whether you would prefer a bigger birdy or indeed the Blade SR which is both bigger than the rex and designed from the outset to be more stable.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
I agree. The Trex 450 is far easier than the 250. The only 250 I'm aware of that isn't a real monster is the SkyArtec Wasp or Belt 250.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
Is it because the SR is bigger that makes it more stable?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAW View Post
Is it because the SR is bigger that makes it more stable?
The size is larger, and the head loading is far less, because the weight of the SR relative to the blade area is much lower. That means lower rpms, so response should be softer. While lower head speed doesn't contribute to stability, it does make set up much easier. Those little monsters that run at over 4000 rpms are incredibly sensitive. Of course, the performance of the SR is speculation, at this point. Helis set up for flight shows and demos have a way of flying much nicer than the ones sold to the public.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:39 AM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I did notice that the weight of the SR and the T-rex is similiar.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
Another point that has not been mentioned is that due to the 4000+ rpms of these 250 size helis, minor vibrations can be major harmonic problems. You have to have experience building and setting up CP helis, because everything has to be just right on these little buggers, or something is going to break before you get off the ground. This is especially true of the clones.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
Makes sense. I am going to order a Blade SR from my LHS tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAW View Post
Makes sense. I am going to order a Blade SR from my LHS tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Be sure to keep us posted with your impressions, when you get it. The perspective of somebody coming from an MSR will be very interesting. Also, keep in mind that you always have the option of swapping all of the SR components to a belt drive GuruZ frame, if the motor driven tail bothers you. Many of us use HBFP, Walkera #4 and Blade parts to build GuruZs. I have 3 of them.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Be sure to keep us posted with your impressions, when you get it. The perspective of somebody coming from an MSR will be very interesting. Also, keep in mind that you always have the option of swapping all of the SR components to a belt drive GuruZ frame, if the motor driven tail bothers you. Many of us use HBFP, Walkera #4 and Blade parts to build GuruZs. I have 3 of them.
If you are going to do that, why bother getting an SR in the first place. Honestly I would not order an SR yet. wait and see how they perform, hold up, and how much parts are.
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
If you are going to do that, why bother getting an SR in the first place. Honestly I would not order an SR yet. wait and see how they perform, hold up, and how much parts are.
GuruZ kits give you upgrade options you wouldn't otherwise have. If you like 300 size belt drive helis, you don't have a lot of choices.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
True.. but I would just get a blade 400, or a Trex 250 / 450.

I hovered a blade 400 yesterday (my first 400 size) it was very stable, easy, and fun. Not to mention it is $399 RTF with a DX6i! Yes $100 more than than the SR, but you get a nice charger, lipo, DX6i, and a non-tail motor'd heli.

Upgrades are fun, but to go from an all plastic tail motor'd SR to an all CNC'd /CF belt drive is a lot of upgrades, or I can just buy a Trex 250se and get it all out of the box.

Does GuruZ have a website?
Last edited by Gadflyii; Jan 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
Balr14: What do you like about the GuruZ? How much are they? How is part support?

Gadflyii: the SR part prices are reasonable in my opinion (Horizon hobby website) and will be available at my lhs. Have you flown a 250 size heli. What are your impressions of one?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Lee
Last edited by LeeAW; Jan 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: content
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
LeeAW,

I am exactly they same as you; moving up from from an mSR; I have shopped around a lot in the past few weeks.

I looked at a lot of critera to know what was important to me:

1.) Saftey during indoor flight
2.) Cost of parts
3.) Ease of flight

My goal was to buy a CP heli that I could hover train with, then move on to more advanced forward flight, and eventually usa as a 3D trainer with cheap parts, that I could still use indoors with no real risk to life or limb (not to mention walls, TV's, etc.)

I ended up picking up a Walkera 4G6, and I love it. I have gotten her all setup (which is not that hard, you just have to pay attention to details) and trimmed.. LOVE IT. I hovered though entire batteries yesterday and even made some slow circles.

I also am going to pick up an outdoor helicopter, I was looking at an SR, or a TREX 250, but after flying my friends blade 400 yesterday, I think I will just pick up one of those. It was VERY stable, easy to hover and a lot of fun.

The SR or the the blade 400 really are not indoor heli's; trex 250 is a great gym/hanger flier and I still want one. I was talking to a few people that had some at the field yesterday, and they flew my 4g6, told me the 250 was about the same. He offered to let me fly it, but... I declined.

I honestly just can't see myself buying a 300 class helicopter with a tail motor....

There are lots and lots of options out there... Decide what is important to you, then go find what best fits your needs.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,337 Posts
Here is GuruZ's website: http://www.guru-z.com/catalog/products.php
But, these are the primary sites to buy from: http://www.addictive-hobby.com/index.php?cPath=1_46
http://www.heli-fever.com/index.php?...gtei1ekn86ord4

I like the GuruZ because I like 300 size helis. They are a nice size to fly in my yard. They are not as squirrely as 250s and are easier to see at a distance. They also use a wide variety of easy-to-find cheap parts. I prefer the simplicity of a FP heli. I'm not into 3D flight and decent GuruZ Xeon with Xtreme parts will do everything but fly inverted. If I break something, it's easy to fix and very little setup is involved. I can always swap heads and add another servo when I feel like playing with a CP heli.

Once you buy a GuruZ frame kit, you don't have to use any of their parts. I use a HBCB V3 motor driven tail with a custom 45 degree Bell/Hiller FP head on one, a Walkera #4 head with EXI belt drive tail on a second and Xtreme/HBFP head setup with a Trex 450 tail on the third. I swap the Walkera #4 head with a Blade CP head when I want to fly CP.