HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by leccyflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Discussion
2010 "spring clean" and fleet assessment.

Last weekend I finally got a round tuit and cleaned out my workroom, I hadn't been in there for more than half-an-hour for months (for various reasons).

The upshot is that the surface of the workbench is now visible, albeit with a thin covering of models for repair. So I made a list and found that, for the first time in many a year, I was down to less than ten airframes that could be taken down and flown, without anything needing doing. Everything else has some little job, or bit of maintenance or minor repair, that as to be done to make them airworthy.

So, in the spirit of getting some models fettled in the next few months I'm posting these pictures with the intention that, by this time next year, every one of the airframes in view will have flown. It doesn't sound like much of a feat, but there are a few, at least, that will be a real challenge to get in the air.

I'll check in regularly and post pictures of each airframe that returns to the skies, or makes it's debut -there are at least five that haven't flown yet.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
wow are any of those for sale
hbsurfer is offline Find More Posts by hbsurfer
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:45 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
Man cave

Almost looks like my man cave.
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Feb 07, 2010, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsurfer View Post
wow are any of those for sale
Sorry, none are for sale. In fact I've never sold a model that I've started - I've given a few away to worthy causes, but never sold one.

The first couple of models flew yesterday -the little Edge and the Aerowatt.

They're on the picture somewhere.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
..add another to the "flown in 2010" list. The Bearcat had a short airing last weekend.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
And add another to the flown in 2010 list - my boy flew his Ripmax Spitfire yesterday and it went very welel with a new LoongMax Tipple 4500mah 3s1p pack.

Here's a list that I'll update during the year as and when the models get flown.

The listing lists the models seen in the pictures above - in bold if they've flown previously under electric power and the date when they make a qualifying flight this year.

Yikes -it's August already

Peter Wilson Aerowatt - qualifying flight - 7/2/10
E-Flight Mini Edge 540 - qualifying flight 7/2/10
Balsacraft Bearcat - qualifying flight - 7/3/10
Ripmax Spitfire - - qualifying flight 11/04/10
HVP Henschel HS129 -maiden flight 31/5/10
RCM&E Little Mo - qualifying flight 25/7/10
Wattage Stuka - qualifying flight 31/7/10
GWS Spitfire - qualifying flight 31/7/10
Balsacraft FW190A -maiden flight 22/08/10

Yet to fly in 2010 list

Cambrian Messerschmitt Bf109E -
Jamara Clipped Wing Piper Cub
World Models J-3 Piper Cub
Peter Rake Fokker EIII
RCM-Pelikan Eurofighter
Kyosho T-33
Westfield F-86 Sabre
GWS Tiger Moth
Cambrian Spitfire
Kavan Fokker DVIII
E-Mugi 400
Jamara PT-19
E-Sprit Models Supra-E
Balsacraft Bristol Blenheim
Balsacraft Hurricane
Union Models P-51D
Pilot Mitsubishi Zero
Trick RC Zagi -E400
Trick-RC Razor -E-400
Beeline Models Easy Bee

Multiplex Fox - not yet started
Mick Reeves FW190D - not yet finished
Flair Piper Cub - not yet finished
DB Sports and Scale DH-60 Cirrus Moth - not yet converted to electric
Guillows Piper PA-18 Super Cub - not yet finished
Flair Puppeteer - not yet finished
Flair Bristol Beaufighter - not yet finished
ACT Me163 Komet - not yet maidened
RCSA Bristol Beaufighter - not yet finished
World Models Zen 50 - not yet converted to electric

There are other models, stored downstairs, some of which have also flown this year, especially my "hack" Wot-4 and Webbit, but which don't form part of this little exercise since they aren't in the picture.
Last edited by leccyflyer; Aug 22, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Updated list
Old May 31, 2010, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Add another to the Flown in 2010 list. Today saw the mainden of the NVP Modellbau HS-129b.

Had to guess the C of G and therows and ended up with loads too much elevator, but, luckily managed to get her trimmed out, with a littl help from my freinds and then eventually down mostly in one piece. The bounce on landing turned the wheel at right andgles, dug in, broke a prop and snapped off the starboard motor mount. That's a minor epair and will get some local reinforcement.

Here she is, preflight
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:06 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Add another to the flown in 2010 list.

Littke Mo had an outing on Saturday - another example of Little Mo crAZINESS with that unpredictble wing drop, half bunt. Managed to save the first three, but the fourth one put her on the deck. Pick it up and start again. This model really is brilliant fun, but I'm hoping that a 2.4ghz receiver cures the characteristic "fall out of the sky" manouver.

Unfortunately wasn't able to fly the FW190 due to the GMAC fly-in's policy of no maiden flights during the event. Maiden is set for this Saturday, prior to the Bath SPARCs fly-in on Sunday.
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jul 27, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:18 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Add another two to the flown in 2010 list.

The GWS Spitfire got a couple of flights, as tests of the Frsky 4 channel parkslyer receivers and that was passed with flying colours. Not a glitch to be seen, but some porpoising in the strong wind was evident. Youngleccy managed his usual feathersoft landing on his flight, but I managed to snap the nose off when I landed. Five minute epoxy or gorilla glue will fix it back on with no trouble an the Spittie will fly again.

Less good for thehe Wattage Stuka also had an outing today. Horrible. Two failed attempts at take offs, the second of which tore the spats off. One cartwheel and then a short flight terminating in a flick and a spin from about twenty feet, which smashed the front end. That qualifies as a flight though and the model will probably sacrifice it's gear to another better flying model.

Didn't get to fly the FW-190, as the rains came an the skies darkened. Not looking good for Colerne tomorrow either
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Add one more to this years flight list as the Bslsacraft FW190 finally got her maiden flight today. Excellent flight, lots of power with the right 9x4.5 prop. short run on the dolly and off into the wild grey yonder. Very happy with the performance and probably the nicest of the BC warbirds that I've flown.

Here's some pictures that Tim took today.

Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:05 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Well, the year has gone and the grand total of individual airframes featured and flows was- just 9 out of 30 plus

It's been a mad, mad, mad, mad, busy year - though to be fair I've had some very enjoyable flights and my flight log shows more flying than the previous year, but flying the same half-a-dozen models. The best laid plans to fettle a good number of airframes never got close to getting off the ground.

The first half of this year looks similarly busy and so I'm not even going to try to make any rash plans to fly any number of different models. I'll just add them to this blog as and when they take to the air again.

What's more, I've had some additions to the kit mountain this year, which all sit there just waiting to be started. Some of those will make it into the air in front of the airframes under refurbishment.

It's a moot point at the moment, with work, unflyable weather and a long list of tasks that need to take priority over playing out. It'll probably be the spring before I get any decent flight time in.