SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Help!
HK XP 3A 1S 0.7g Brushless ESC

I am trying to run this ESC with my ParkZone AR6400 brick without any luck. All I get at high throttle is constant beeping. If I then close the throttle I get 1 beep and then nothing. The motor never starts. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Randy
rcflyer11 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Have you programmed the AR6400 to brushless output mode? If not you can download the ar6400 manual and read the instructions on how to do this
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:24 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hi Veteran -- Thanks, and yes I programmed the AR6400 for brushless output. I actually have a Turnigy DP 3A 1S 1g brushless ESC that is very similar, and that one works... sort of. I can get the motor to run with the Turnigy if I set the throttle stick to mid-point. It starts there and runs up to full throttle. But... with the very similar looking HK ESC, the motor won't run at all no matter what I do.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:59 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
I've had similar problems, but with other ESC's, as well. Several members have recommended this setup. It requires setting up both mixes (Mix 1 and Mix 2) in the DX6i.

Mix 1

Gear + Gear ACT
Rate D -100% U -100%
SW Gear Trim ACT

and

Mix 2

Thro + Gear ACT
Rate D +100% U +100%
SW Mix Trim ACT

Try this and report back!! ....it worked for me

P.S., make sure your switches match the instructions - e.g., both the Gear switch AND the MIX switch have to be ON.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:19 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hi 356Jim -- Thanks... but I'm not flying a DX6i... I'm flying a Futaba 9C with a DSM2 module. It's got a bunch of mixes too, but I don't have any idea how they match up with the DX6i mixes (or not) Can you or any of your members translate your instructions to the Futaba?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11 View Post
Hi 356Jim -- Thanks... but I'm not flying a DX6i... I'm flying a Futaba 9C with a DSM2 module. It's got a bunch of mixes too, but I don't have any idea how they match up with the DX6i mixes (or not) Can you or any of your members translate your instructions to the Futaba?
Well, here's a workaround. Program your 9C to mix throttle to a function such as Gear (CH 5) or another channel that IS UNUSED by your 6400. Set the switch that enables that channel to ON so that the output follows your throttle stick. Make sure your ESC is plugged into the channel that you are mixing to. Easy!!

I am a Hitec fan, but together, we can get your problem solved!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
356Jim -- OK... so I guess I missed that I'm supposed to plug the ESC into the "unused" channel on the AR6400 brick. I have continued to plug the ESC into the throttle channel on the AR6400, as I didn't follow the mixing logic until now.

Also... I borrowed a DX6i from a friend and programmed the mixes as you defined them. It didn't work, but probably because I had the ESC plugged into the motor output on the AR6400 instead of Ch.5. I'll try it again....

Will let you know the outcome....

Thanks,
Randy
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:04 PM
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
'Iffin you're using the Gear (channel 5), then make sure your ESC is plugged into the LOWER three pins on the Gear/X-port connector.

Please refer to the latest ar6400 bulletin as per the attached from Horizon
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:29 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
356Jim -- I ran into a snag. The connector from the ESC will not fit the servo ports on the AR6400. Both size and pin spacing are different. I would need a JST servo connector which I don't have. Also, the wire on the PZ 1.5g servo looks like it may be too small to handle the amp load to the ESC if I were to buy a servo lead.

But wait.... there's more! I actually was finally able to get the motor to run a couple of times... but the throttle only worked from mid-stick to high-stick. The motor armed at mid-stick (motor off). After just a few seconds, the ESC went into what appeared to be low-voltage detection. The motor just slowly decelerated until it stopped completely, during which time I had no throttle control whatsoever. I was running a Hyperion 240mah 25C lipo and only drawing perhaps 2.5A max, running a 4500kv 5-gram motor turning a GWS 4530 prop. I would not have thought I would experience premature voltage depression like this... especially running indoors at room temperature.

Randy
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I don't have any problems running an ESC off the Motor plug. Running the motor off the gear or flap channels seems like a waste of perfectly good mixes, to me.

Are you Powering the ESC through the motor port? Just use the signal wire of the plug and run Power and ground from the battery (Run Parallel + and - Wires to the brick and ESC from the battery).
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:09 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hi UNGN -- Thanks for your input. No, I'm not powering the ESC from the motor port... it's setup like you suggest.

I think I finally have most of the issues resolved. I was able to solve the high-end problem by reducing ATV to 70%. Now I get full throttle at full up-stick. Also, I was able to get "motor off" at low stick by adjusting the sub-trim. So now I get nice throttle control with full stick travel... just what I wanted.

Thanks guys!

Randy
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:41 PM
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I don't have any problems running an ESC off the Motor plug. Running the motor off the gear or flap channels seems like a waste of perfectly good mixes, to me.

Are you Powering the ESC through the motor port? Just use the signal wire of the plug and run Power and ground from the battery (Run Parallel + and - Wires to the brick and ESC from the battery).
First off, a number of people are having non-linear motor control problems with the ar6400 in brushless mode. On one of my planes, I am using a YGE-4 that runs perfectly on other Rx's, but not the 6400 until I programmed the mixes.

With the two mixes programmed into my DX6i, my throttle is linear across the full range of the stick. Turn off the switches to disable, and the throttle is only active from mid-range to the top. How is this "wasting mixes" if it solves a serious problem and eliminates another problem of making rudder movement without throttle change even more of a problem with just thumb control?

Secondly, on my 66% Arrow, I'm already doing what you suggest - powering the ESC (and thus the motor) through the motor port, and using the signal lead plugged into the Gear port.

However, I would suspect (but haven't checked) that the trace width is no different whatever connector you use, so current draw is a non-problem.

Randy, for a short run, don't worry about wire gauge. I use 28 and 30 Ga for most of my battey packs - 1S and 2S - just keep the leads as short as possible..
Last edited by 356Jim; Jan 24, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
First off, a number of people are having non-linear motor control problems with the ar6400 in brushless mode. On one of my planes, I am using a YGE-4 that runs perfectly on other Rx's, but not the 6400 until I programmed the mixes.

With the two mixes programmed into my DX6i, my throttle is linear across the full range of the stick. Turn off the switches to disable, and the throttle is only active from mid-range to the top. How is this "wasting mixes" if it solves a serious problem and eliminates another problem of making rudder movement without throttle change even more of a problem with just thumb control?

Secondly, on my 66% Arrow, I'm already doing what you suggest - powering the ESC (and thus the motor) through the motor port, and using the signal lead plugged into the Gear port.

However, I would suspect (but haven't checked) that the trace width is no different whatever connector you use, so current draw is a non-problem.

Randy, for a short run, don't worry about wire gauge. I use 28 and 30 Ga for most of my battey packs - 1S and 2S - just keep the leads as short as possible..
If you use the throttle channel, you 1.) don't have worry about the plane going to WOT when the gear switch is flipped. 2) can fly a Brushless Delta with an AR6400 because you haven't used up all your mixes 3) can use the throttle travel adjust and subtrims to dial in the throttle and finally 4) you dont need another one of those tiny, hard to unplug, easily destroyed micro connectors... just a 1/4 watt resistor lead wrapped in Heat Shrink, plugged into the motor signal port.

I'd use channel 5 mix on a green dot Vapor brick, but I don't see the need with an AR6400.

I'll will admit, that is a neat throttle trick, though
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
[QUOTE=UNGN;14159679]If you use the throttle channel, you 1.) don't have worry about the plane going to WOT when the gear switch is flipped. /QUOTE]

Huh?? Throttle to WOT? Come again?

Mix 1 essentially turns the Gear function off.

Mix 2 adds Throttle to the Gear output.

If the Gear switch is ON, throttle (only) comes out the Gear port.

If the Gear switch is OFF, the throttle function reverts to no mix at all.

How do I know? I've tried it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
[QUOTE=356Jim;14161914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If you use the throttle channel, you 1.) don't have worry about the plane going to WOT when the gear switch is flipped. /QUOTE]

Huh?? Throttle to WOT? Come again?

Mix 1 essentially turns the Gear function off.

Mix 2 adds Throttle to the Gear output.

If the Gear switch is ON, throttle (only) comes out the Gear port.

If the Gear switch is OFF, the throttle function reverts to no mix at all.

How do I know? I've tried it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just don't touch the "mix switch", correct? Or you will be scratching your head, wondering why your plane won't work.

Or, you can just plug the ESC signal into the throttle port and not have to fly a science project.