HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Discussion
Help choosing my first 3d foamie to build

I'm just trying to get into the 3d foamie world, I've watched a lot of videos of people flying them in gymnasiums and parks, and its exactly what I want. A good fun acrobatic plane to fly around in my culdesac and local parks.

I've spent hours of researching so far, but still having a little trouble figuring out everything I need (like which radio, motor, plans, etc.) I'm trying to keep my budget under $200 if possible. I'm leaning strongly towards an epp plane so that I don't have to glue/tape/fix/etc any time a wingtip dings the ground. (although I'd still consider depron as well if there are enough advantages).

So can anyone recommend a full setup as far as...
A: radio. I've heard of $200 ones (spectra 6i or something like that) that are well praised, but that's just too expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that will work good for my first few foamies.
B: plane: can anyone recommend good free or cheap plane plans? The most important things for me in a plane are, that it builds quick, repairs quick, is durable, cheap to maintain, and still flies good. Even though I'm just learning, I don't want to learn on a slug, I want something with plenty of power and maneuverability (I do have 5+ hours experience on rc sims). I have seen various epp plans out there but have no way of really knowing if they are good.
C: Whatever other parts I need, like choosing a good motor, prop, batteries, carbon tubes, other hardware, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good setup of the above, that's all compatible with one another? Or even a kit that comes with everything. Also, I'm thinking that its very likely, after I build a standard type acrobatic foamie, I'll likely want to build a foamie f-series jet, so hopefully whatever radio is recommended, and other parts and stuff, will make it easy to add a second plane to my arsenal.

Thanks for the help.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Get your parts at HobbyCity or maybe HobbyPartz or headsuprc.com. HobbyCity even has some dirt-cheap 2.4 GHz transmitters and receivers.

The plane to build is a Leadfeather EPPYak55. You'll find a very active thread devoted to this plane (including the plans) in the Foamies->Scratchbuild forum. Here's a photo of mine before I started trashing it...

rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2009
286 Posts
If you do decide to go spektrum, you can get the DX6i with four servos and a receiver (all things you'll need anyway) from http://www.toddsmodels.com for about $180: it's still pricey, but I just learned the hard way that having a good radio is a good thing.

There's also a lot of good information in this thread.

I can't help with anything else, but I've spent a few weeks looking at radios, so I have a lot of that information easy to hand.

Good luck!
amckenzie4 is offline Find More Posts by amckenzie4
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:14 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post
If you do decide to go spektrum, you can get the DX6i with four servos and a receiver (all things you'll need anyway) from http://www.toddsmodels.com for about $180: it's still pricey, but I just learned the hard way that having a good radio is a good thing.

There's also a lot of good information in this thread.

I can't help with anything else, but I've spent a few weeks looking at radios, so I have a lot of that information easy to hand.

Good luck!
+1. If you're looking for a radio that can do more than one model, dx6i is the cheapest/best I know of. You could probably find a cheaper radio, but unlikely, unless you go used or with an "off-brand". Happy flying.
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Last edited by chrisellington; Jan 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
You can get a Hitec Optic 6 2.4 radio for $230 with 2 receivers. The Optic 6 by FAR is my favorite radio. Easy to program, large LCD display, TONS of programming options, and being modular based, it can operate on 72mhz as well, both positive and negative shifts, which make it an unlimited radio regarding frequency. If you want, you can get Futaba, and Spektrum modules as well, which will fit right in and allow you to use Futaba/Spektrum gear.

IMO, a better deal than a Dx6i, which goes for about $200 with one receiver.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2009
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
You can get a Hitec Optic 6 2.4 radio for $230 with 2 receivers. The Optic 6 by FAR is my favorite radio. Easy to program, large LCD display, TONS of programming options, and being modular based, it can operate on 72mhz as well, both positive and negative shifts, which make it an unlimited radio regarding frequency. If you want, you can get Futaba, and Spektrum modules as well, which will fit right in and allow you to use Futaba/Spektrum gear.

IMO, a better deal than a Dx6i, which goes for about $200 with one receiver.
Xpress -- I was looking at these the other day (getting ready to buy a real radio), and I couldn't figure out where to get the Spektrum module. Any chance you can give me a link? I'm still not thrilled by the limited model memory (by the time I get the spektrum module, I'll probably have spent what I would have on a DX7, which has a 20 model memory), but I'd like to take a closer look...

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
You know how we do
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Here are some free plans for an Extra 300. The page also contains links to the exact equipment needed for it. Good luck!

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I'm just trying to get into the 3d foamie world, I've watched a lot of videos of people flying them in gymnasiums and parks, and its exactly what I want. A good fun acrobatic plane to fly around in my culdesac and local parks.

I've spent hours of researching so far, but still having a little trouble figuring out everything I need (like which radio, motor, plans, etc.) I'm trying to keep my budget under $200 if possible. I'm leaning strongly towards an epp plane so that I don't have to glue/tape/fix/etc any time a wingtip dings the ground. (although I'd still consider depron as well if there are enough advantages).

So can anyone recommend a full setup as far as...
A: radio. I've heard of $200 ones (spectra 6i or something like that) that are well praised, but that's just too expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative that will work good for my first few foamies.
B: plane: can anyone recommend good free or cheap plane plans? The most important things for me in a plane are, that it builds quick, repairs quick, is durable, cheap to maintain, and still flies good. Even though I'm just learning, I don't want to learn on a slug, I want something with plenty of power and maneuverability (I do have 5+ hours experience on rc sims). I have seen various epp plans out there but have no way of really knowing if they are good.
C: Whatever other parts I need, like choosing a good motor, prop, batteries, carbon tubes, other hardware, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good setup of the above, that's all compatible with one another? Or even a kit that comes with everything. Also, I'm thinking that its very likely, after I build a standard type acrobatic foamie, I'll likely want to build a foamie f-series jet, so hopefully whatever radio is recommended, and other parts and stuff, will make it easy to add a second plane to my arsenal.

Thanks for the help.
Bought a used dx6i for $80 and a spectrum micro set with 4 6gm servos and 2gm reciever for less than $100.. nice to have spektrum radio for BINDING to ar6400 recievers in my micro foamies, and other spektrum recievers for larger birds.. Spend the $$ and you wil have a lasting investment to fly many birds.. I started just like you scratching my head, and now have 6 models programed on that dx6i...Ohh and dont get suckered into an older dx6 or dx5.. they are lacking in capabilities. M
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Jan 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Hey, thanks for the help. rafe_b mentioned the Leadfeather EPPYak55 and I've spent a couple hours reading nothing but good things about it. That its capable of most maneuvers out there, and almost indestructible, which in turn makes it one of the funnest to fly. I'm pretty excited, and probably about 90% sure on buying this plane right now. Just wondering if there are any others I'd even want to give a last minute thought to, or stick with this one?

Also, about the Leadfeather EPPYak55, Is 3depp the best and/or only place to buy? I heard it is the same plane that's in free plans, they just assemble the same thing as a kit. (which I like the idea of being able to just put my first plane together quick, but knowing its a "free" plane so I can print out a template if needed for a repair, or building another). I also thought I might have heard that other places are cutting out the same Leadfeather EPPYak55 and selling it as kits as well? It all is getting a little confusing, there are so many different "yaks" out there, I want to make sure I'm getting the same one. And also getting the same size, since I thought I heard of a couple different sizes.

Also my other question is about the radio. Hearing nothing but good things about the spektrum dx6i, I'm really leaning towards it, probably at 80% right now, but just having a tough time wanting to shell out, the dough. Its not just the initial $200, but I found out that each reciever is around $50, I'd hate to have to spend an extra $50 for each new plane I build. Especially when there are others such as the Exceed RC 2.4Ghz 6-Channel Radio System w/ 1 FREE Receiver for example, for only $45.

Can anyone tell me what in particular makes the dx6i, so much better than something like the exceed, or another radio? Like what features would I be missing, or what headaches could I run into with a cheaper one? I definetly do not want a radio that will hold me back in any way, or make things more difficult, but at the same time, I really don't need a 10 model memory, 3-4 models would be enough since I doubt I'll ever have more planes than that. I figure first I'll get an acrobatic, then also get a foamie jet, and then have room for another 1-2 undecided ones. So is there any cheaper radio (that uses cheaper recievers), that would still be as capable as the dx6i for 3-4 planes, or does nothing else really compare?

Thanks.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Xpress -- I was looking at these the other day (getting ready to buy a real radio), and I couldn't figure out where to get the Spektrum module. Any chance you can give me a link? I'm still not thrilled by the limited model memory (by the time I get the spektrum module, I'll probably have spent what I would have on a DX7, which has a 20 model memory), but I'd like to take a closer look...

Thanks!
More than 10 years in this hobby, 5 of them using the Optic 6- never have used more than 5 model slots at a time.

Keeps things in balance

Spektrum 2.4 module: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMSFUT7

That one will fit all of the Hitec modular radios (Aurora 9, Eclipse 7, and Optic 6).
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Midwestfoamplanes
http://www.midwestfoamplanes.com/products/yak55.php

And 3depp.com
http://3depp.com/

they both sell the same plane as leadfeathers yak 55
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
Joined Nov 2009
286 Posts
Quote:
More than 10 years in this hobby, 5 of them using the Optic 6- never have used more than 5 model slots at a time.

Keeps things in balance

Spektrum 2.4 module: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMSFUT7

That one will fit all of the Hitec modular radios (Aurora 9, Eclipse 7, and Optic 6).
Thanks for the link -- good to know where to find it. I've already got four planes (well, three and a heli -- Wild hawk, Vapor, unassembled SS, and an mCX s300), and plans for about four more, though I may drop the Wild Hawk, so more than 7 or 8 models is starting to look likely...

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, and I'll stop typing now.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link -- good to know where to find it. I've already got four planes (well, three and a heli -- Wild hawk, Vapor, unassembled SS, and an mCX s300), and plans for about four more, though I may drop the Wild Hawk, so more than 7 or 8 models is starting to look likely...
You need to start crashing more

(actually, that'll go up with 3D planes )

Quote:
Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, and I'll stop typing now.
It's all part of the discussion
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:24 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:

Keeps things in balance

2.5 years in the hobby, all of it using a Spektrum DX7. All 20 memory positions filled with an assortment of outdoor foamies, indoor foamies and balsa. Still about 10 more planes to build/repair. I have a job that pays well and I don't like to deprive myself. Xpress, I bet that once you're working full-time you will buy more planes. When I bought the DX7 I thought that 20 planes would be enough. Now I am struggling to decide if I will sell some planes (but which ones?), or just buy another DX7 .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
2.5 years in the hobby, all of it using a Spektrum DX7. All 20 memory positions filled with an assortment of outdoor foamies, indoor foamies and balsa. Still about 10 more planes to build/repair. I have a job that pays well and I don't like to deprive myself. Xpress, I bet that once you're working full-time you will buy more planes. When I bought the DX7 I thought that 20 planes would be enough. Now I am struggling to decide if I will sell some planes (but which ones?), or just buy another DX7 .
Neither, sell your dx7 and get a jr9503, 50 model memory
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz