HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:21 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,427 Posts
I don't have one of these but I fly with Nanwal and have seen him put many hours into trying to get it flying (no, he is not a newbie to this hobby). Finally in desparation he sent it back to Sean after Sean assured him that he could fix it, test fly it and return. And yes that was over two months ago!! Not a word from Sean. I would not have been so patient !!!
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
I don't have one of these but I fly with Nanwal and have seen him put many hours into trying to get it flying (no, he is not a newbie to this hobby). Finally in desparation he sent it back to Sean after Sean assured him that he could fix it, test fly it and return. And yes that was over two months ago!! Not a word from Sean. I would not have been so patient !!!
His first post was in late July, so it's been at least 3-1/2 months that he's been waiting (and he had probably been waiting some time before his first post about it). I think barneyj has been waiting even longer for the Shrike he sent in for repairs. I'm sure Sean will take care of this, we just need to encourage him to do it sooner rather than later. I've heard from people who decided not to order at all because of these reports, if Sean gets this backlog taken care of it'll likely improve his sales.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I've heard from people who decided not to order at all because of these reports, if Sean gets this backlog taken care of it'll likely improve his sales.

Please Mr Sean for your own good, we all hate to see you losing current, and new potential customers !!!

Friendly,

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be taking customer's kits back for "repair". I don't know any other manufacturers that do that. My production work load is too high and my attention span is too short.

Most people lose track of the time they put into setting up, tweaking, and flying because it's all part of the hobby but in reality it's enormously time consuming. Having crappy weather here doesn't help either but I will work on Nanwal's today and get it shipped back to him. I also have Gus's Slow Hawk sitting in an unopened box that I have to check out. I just don't understand the few kits that people have trouble getting to fly. They are all the same kits. My Pterodactyl flies great but Lorinorm could not get his exact duplicate to fly to his satisfaction. So, I take them back for "repair" with all good intentions but then have had trouble even getting to them. I will make a consciencious effort to get what few kits I have back from customers fixed and shipped back out. To my knowledge I have four people:

1) Lorinorm
2) barneyj
3) nanwal
and 4) Gus

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused all of you.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:56 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
657 Posts
deleted
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Last edited by sunworksco; Feb 13, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:11 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
Sean,
Have you ever thought about acquiring a young apprentice that can do all of the repairs. You can have a 10 year written agreement to not compete against you and have an option to partner with you at the end of the 10 year agreement. This could be like a living will for your family of birds.
Giovanni
This sounds like a great idea but you'd really have to be able to trust them.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Not sure what the deal was with your buds bird but I can honestly tell you that my PH4 flew really well right out of the box and required little to no trimming. I was and am still very impressed.
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:47 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,187 Posts
i would have to agree with heavy chevy here
regards brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
Joined Jan 2004
405 Posts
You know, I might agree too. But here's the thing. I have a SH3 that flies beautifully. I fly it in 15 to 20 mph winds regularly. It handles predictably and when flying in calm conditions, I usually land it in my hand.

Now compared to that, the shrike's wing wouldn't attach properly. It was the old style with the two tabs on the keel. The slots in the wing were cut too far rearward so there was too much slack. I made the appropriate adjustments to it; even tried flipping the wing sail. But it kept performing an inside loop under power. So I returned it. I understand others had problems getting their shrike to fly as well.

Getting back to my SH3: Before it became the wonderful bird it is today, I received it with an incorrect spine on the wingsail. In order for it to mount on the keel, I had to break the CA bond on the forward mounting tab. Then I had to cut a new slot in the keel to hold the mounting tab. It came with two different (shape/length) conrods. And as others here have done, I bored out the ferrule to accommodate thicker spars as I was breaking the original 3.5mm spars after every six or seven flights.

I know there's a consistancy issue - I'm sure Sean won't deny this. There are mid-revision models that go out so my bird could be quite different from yours even if we receive it just days apart.

So I've been patiently -- and for the most part, quietly -- waiting.
barneyj is offline Find More Posts by barneyj
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
I believe the best solution is Sean should test fly and certify all new customers' birds before ship them and that should avoid lots of unnecessary misunderstandings thereafter provided he has no time dealing with the water already under the bridge. As to myself, I just ask him to ship need no test fly.
LifeisGood is online now Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:47 PM
The villages florida
Joined Sep 2004
72 Posts
Hi Sean

It was good to know that you are still thinking of me

I am looking forward to getting my bird back

Hope that you found something wrong with it .

Let me know .

Thanks
nanwal is offline Find More Posts by nanwal
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:12 PM
SUNLAND,CALIFORNIA
Joined Sep 2006
117 Posts
Hi sean-just checking to see how you are doing with the skybird.-patrick-california
PACIFICAIRE is offline Find More Posts by PACIFICAIRE
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
I have the wing and tail on it! The weather sucks though so I can't test fly it. As soon as the weather allows I will though.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2004
405 Posts
Sucky weather = build time, right? Just hoping...
barneyj is offline Find More Posts by barneyj
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:28 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,187 Posts
moneys in paypal for ferrules sean
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691