HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2004
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade View Post
. . .
barneyj.....can I offer you either a YHXL or a PH-4 in place of your Shrike?
Hey Sean, that's from your "Wind Hawk" thread on Sep. 27. I said I'd be thrilled with either. I haven't heard back since. Have you shipped it out yet?

I don't want to have to wait for a year (or longer) - especially when I see you're testing new birds. That implies you have a flying bird that you can ship to me but choose not to. You have to admit I've been pretty patient. You can't deny that, right?

I have to ask again -- you sure you're not ignoring me on purpose?
barneyj is offline Find More Posts by barneyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:04 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood View Post
Honestly, neither Park Hawk nor Slow Hawk, Glide Hawk, or Lazy Hawk needs Power plate - the little T shape G-10 mounted on the tail. Yes, I was wrong, what I showed was gear plates. Sorry. BTW - what I meant "Power plates" - plates transfer power to the gears
The power plate that Mr Sean use on his birds are soaked in the snake oil, but ours are not ,

Heavy Chevy ... How did it go with the maiden ??

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
Gus
Aloha (Beaverton), Oregon, United States
Joined Nov 2001
569 Posts
Just so no one gets their nose bent out of shape,

This spring I purchased a Park Hawk 4 and a Slow Hawk 4 from Sean.

I ordered the Park Hawk 4 with an extra set of Ferrules/Spars and received both. While getting the Park Hawk 4 to fly, I broke the head off and repaired it. I also broke 2 Spars and repaired them both. Since then it has flown great for around 50 flights, when I had a Ferrule break between the Pivot screw and the Drive Screw. Outside of that, this has been a great flying Park Hawk!

I told Sean that I would like to purchase and Extra set of Ferrules for the Park Hawk 4, and to date Sean has not responded to my request, and said that he would sell me a set.

As far as my Slow Hawk 4, I have never been able to get it to fly more than 6 ft off the ground, and no more than about 40 - 60 feet before it noses into the ground. I have been through everything several times, and have not found what is wrong. My flapping rate is from 0 to almost 6 fps (enough so that it is extremely hard to hold in your hand while flapping at full throttle). I have tried launching at various flapping rates and so far the only thing that is consistent, is that when I get it into the air, if I give it any throttle, it will nose in.

I have worked with Sean, and we basically have not found any reason for my problem, so Sean said that he would send me a new Slow Hawk 4, which he did. My original Slow Hawk 4 had the "bolt on Wing Sail", and the new one had the "Slide on" Sail.

My intention was to try the old Slow Hawk with the new Wing sail, which was impossible to do, because of the differences in wing sails. I did not feel that it was right to take a second Slow Hawk without knowing what the problem is with the old one, so I repackaged the new Slow Hawk and have shipped it back to Sean (Unused).

My issue with Sean has always been, that I would ask to purchase spare parts (Mainly extra sets of Ferrules, both Aluminum and G10), and he would not answer my request, or that I would send him and e-mail, and he would not respond. I do not believe that I am alone with this issue.

I am a firm believer that Sean should make Ferrules (with or without Spars) and the Hawk Bodies available to us so that when we crash, we can repair/replace the broken part, without having the bird sit for weeks while we try to get Sean to send us what we need to get the bird back into the air again.

The whole idea of these birds, is to be able to fly them as much as possible, and not have them down for repair all of the time, waiting for parts.

Sean, correct me if I am wrong!

Gus...
Gus is offline Find More Posts by Gus
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
The sail mounting methods make no difference in performance. Ferrules- the new G-10 is far better than the alum ones. Any one can make the fiberglass or carbon ferruels rather easily provided one has a basic dremel and drill press which I believe we should all own them. By knowing how Sean operates, I am firm to believe one has to come up with his own solutions if one wants to continue flying ornis designed originally by SK. In addition, we should all know by now that SK DOES NOT LIKE PARTS BUSINESS, PERIOD. He prefers selling a complete bird. Aslo, if he offers to repair your broken birds for you, don't accept it try to fix them yourself, or it will be a long long time before you will see your birds again. If you are unable to fix them buy a new one and good luck.

One thing I still have quite figured out is why SK does not like parts business since his GP margins are quite high on identical parts that I can purchase from the open market.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Last edited by LifeisGood; Oct 11, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post

Heavy Chevy ... How did it go with the maiden ??

Khaled
It was great! I'll upload a video
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
You're right. It would seem I don't like the parts business. That's pretty dumb though isn't it. I need to embrace selling parts.

There are many reasons why I have had trouble getting parts out..much of it had to do with design transitions and discontinuing old stuff. The other thing was set up time, parts set up competing with kit set up, etc. and also just too many parts requests getting bogged down in e-mails. Actual orders from my website for parts will not be ignored. The orders hit my inbox and I print them out and give them to Carol.

LIG FYI I have all sorts of body frames in stock and if I don't have it hanging I can route whatever you need. So, what do you need? I don't remember your old e-mails and I wouldn't assume you still wanted something from months ago anyway.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
I'll get to work on listing and pricing every part in my kits and list them in my online store.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Gus
Aloha (Beaverton), Oregon, United States
Joined Nov 2001
569 Posts
Sean,
Thank You...
Gus...
Gus is offline Find More Posts by Gus
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:20 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,829 Posts
Quote:
I'll get to work on listing and pricing every part in my kits and list them in my online store.
SOunds awesome!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:22 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,829 Posts
Ok, here's my maiden video from the other day. I'm sorry for the parts when it's not in frame; that's the curse of the hat cam

I was sad that it was too breezy for the PH4 today because I had 13 Ravens going at my 40" wingspan P-51 mustang

Park Hawk 4 - maiden.AVI (4 min 40 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:10 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Quote:
You're right. It would seem I don't like the parts business. That's pretty dumb though isn't it. I need to embrace selling parts.

There are many reasons why I have had trouble getting parts out..much of it had to do with design transitions and discontinuing old stuff. The other thing was set up time, parts set up competing with kit set up, etc. and also just too many parts requests getting bogged down in e-mails. Actual orders from my website for parts will not be ignored. The orders hit my inbox and I print them out and give them to Carol.

LIG FYI I have all sorts of body frames in stock and if I don't have it hanging I can route whatever you need. So, what do you need? I don't remember your old e-mails and I wouldn't assume you still wanted something from months ago anyway.
Hi Sean- Thanks for the offer, I am good now, but, I'll never reject your new stuffs though. I am still twicking out my own hand made bodies, hard part is to make the hart area have ZERO bindings to make the power transfer perfect. You are good in designing and keep them up and your future is unlimited.

BTW- I think I need one or two new 10T motor pinion for the Glide Hawk replacement motor that I purchased from you a while ago. If the new lazy Hawk motor would also work on the Glide Hawk I can buy two of them from you as well. By the way, those motors are 3.2MM shaft.

Actually, I would not mind to get a new design Glide Hawk full body, a new design wing, a new tail ( which you failed to deliver the reverse V shape on my LH, I don't like the conventional tail) and a new motor from you, but, I am bit scared about the delivery though, as you know, the birds are for flying not just for hanging, the waiting time is getting to the person. However, you have not failed in delivering all my orders to date.
Last edited by LifeisGood; Oct 11, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,829 Posts
^I may play around with a body too as I have some left over form P2 clones
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:33 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisGood View Post
a new tail ( which you failed to deliver the reverse V shape on my LH, I don't like the conventional tail)
Hi LIG

Is it about the look or the performance ???.... does the V-shaped root tail give you better steering authority than the conventional tail ??

Thanks

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Khaled - Probably more look than performance but for some reason I like the reverse "V", may be it looks more sterdy in my eyes
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
We only made a few of those tails. Carol hates making them so we stuck with the stock ones. The stock tail actually seem to steer better to me although I do like how the deep one looks.