HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:37 PM
I can fly anything..... Once!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Build Log
ETM Signature Series Composite BAE Hawk 90mm

Well, after a little bit of a hiatus from the EDF side of the hobby, I got bit by the bug again last fall at our local jet rally. I ran across this thread here on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158505
and was struck by the looks of this Hawk. A quick email to Jet-Teng to inquire on purchasing one directed me to their US Dealer - Easy Tiger Models here in the US. This is my first time ever dealing with them.

Now, before anyone gets all wrapped up in any bashing or recommendations on how anyone should spend (or not spend) their money - please know that I read through many posts here and on other forums about ETM's business and it's dealings. I do NOT want this thread to turn into another squabble about ETM or any other dealers.

I decided to go ahead and order this airplane through Curtis back in Mid-December, and was told that the delivery time would be around Mid-January. I was willing to wait, so I went ahead and confirmed the order and patiently waited. A call from ETM when I returned home from the AMA Expo a few weeks ago explained that my airplane had arrived and was being sent out immediately. Two days later, I had a nice large box at my door with a shiny new Hawk!

Upon opening the box, I found the airplane well packaged with each piece bubble wrapped and placed in the divided box. No damage was found, and to my surprise, I received a painted version with the decals pre-applied and clearcoated. I was only expecting the plain black one in Kerbero's thread

Specs on the plane are as follows:
Wingspan - 44"
Length - 52"
Fan size - 90mm

Once I put the plane together, I realized that it is much larger than the dimesions imply - it is a pretty big Hawk! it actually has a scale sized wing, so I hadn't anticipated how big the fuseslage actually is. There is alot of room for batteries, radio gear, and a small dog!

A quick inspection of it's contruction shows that it is indeed made from Epoxy and fiberglass, with Carbon Fiber cloth and Kevlar Cloth in places where necessary. The glasswork is very good - easily on par with many of the european models I have built. Carbon Cloth is used around the retract mounting block areas, as well as to reainforce the wing spars. The entire plane is of composite construction, with a layer of fiberglass sandwiching balsa skin, with another layer of glass on the outside. As noted above, areas are also reinforced where necessary with carbon cloth or kevlar.

The aircraft comes already setup for Ailerons, Flaps, and a Full-Flying Stabilator. No Rudder is cut out, but the way the vertical stab is constructed will make it very easy to add.

The Flaps and setup from the factory using a living hinge design with kevlar on the lower surface. a hinge "wiper" is pre-installed on the upper flap joint as well. All joints and gaps were very close-fitting and free.

The Ailerons are setup with three pin hinges each, and were pre-drilled. They also were setup with the hinges pre-recessed into the ailerons and the wing was setup with a scale upper and lower shroud. Everything fit well here as well.

Alot of thought was shown in the construction of the wing, as the numerous spars and sections of the wing provided very easy layout of the radio gear, and appears to be extremely solid in construction. This airframe could easily be flown with a turbine.

The Full-Flying Stab comes as an assembly, with both halves joined by a composite "bar" on which the whole assembly pivots. The pivots themselves are machined aluminum, with a pivot shaft that rides on ball bearings, and is retained with 4 x 3mm hex bolts which go into pre-installed blind nuts in the fuseslage. It is a very solid assembly with no slop and very smooth movement.

The Fuseslage comes with the ducting pre-installed, with good inlet radius' and a well joined splitter in front of the fan. It appears very solid and should withstand the vacuum of a 90mm fan just fine.

Both the Fan access hatch as well as the canopy come pre-finished with spring loaded latches and pins for mounting. The canopy is a fiberglass frame with the clear plastic windscreen pre-installed.

The overall surface detail is excellent, with panel lines and rivets the are subtle and uniform, as well as accurate to view. The rivets are even button-head type at the rear of the plane, while being flush-types everywhere else as in the full-scale! There are no "mile-wide" panel lines here

This build thread will be a little busy at first while it catches up to where I actually am now in the assembly, as I started building already, and taking pictures along the way.

Thanks for following along - and I welcome your suggestions and criticism

Mike

Maiden Video Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1266761892
FL62 is offline Find More Posts by FL62
Last edited by FL62; Feb 21, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
First Section - Wing Construction

Here are some pictures of the wing construction. Please note the aileron shroud and flap hinging with wipers installed.

Also, some of the Carbon reinforcement around the wheel wells and spar is visible.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Some more detail shots of the wing, along with aileron installation
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Wing Servo Installation

I used 4 X JR DS368 Digital Metal Gear servos for the Flaps and Ailerons. Each was installed using hardwood blocks which were glued into the wing along the spars and skin. The servos were each secured into the blocks with adhesive tape on bottom, and then secured on top of the block mechanically.

Each Servo was setup with heavy duty servo arms and clevises from Du-Bro products. Good geometry on each surface was easy to setup with plenty of resolution. Carbon-reinforced plastic horns were used on each surface. Then each servo cover was trimmed to clear the control arm and linkage.

Finally, the servos were wired through to the center of the wing with twisted wire sets and 4 pin plugs for each side of the wing to facilitate easy removal of the wing later.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Fuseslage and parts layout

Here are some detail shots of the Fuseslage and other parts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Stab installation

Here are some pics of the method I used to mount the full-flying stab control system. A JR DS3421 Digital Metal Gear Servo was chosen for it's resolution, Torque, and size. I used metal servo mounts from Tamiya for the servo mounting, which is bolted through the plywood deck and down through the fiberglass fuseslage.

A short metal linkage with ball-pivot drives the stab for slop free rotation.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:39 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,995 Posts
Very nice!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,238 Posts
Hey Mike!
Great project and great to see you back at it
Do you know your the guy that started this whole EDF obsession for me?
Back with the cermark F-16... so I thank you for giving me the bug after seeing your video of the F-16

I got 50 flights on that plane and sold it...
went on to the TJ A-4 , Comp ARF Spark... several 70 mm sapacs
and now full circle back to the F-16
but this time a TJ F-16 with full ducting.. I learned a lot from that cermark F-16

but anyway thanks!
I love these jets
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Ya know there is one thing I cant understand. Daniel shubeler made his 90mm Bae hawk which I own. I can not figure out for the life of me why he went the really hoaky route when it came to the elevator mounting idea. This model shown here is the way I would of prefered my DS bae hawk's elevator mechanism. I paid all that $$ for a chinsy mounting style. I just dont get it.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Hey Mike!
Great project and great to see you back at it
Do you know your the guy that started this whole EDF obsession for me?
Back with the cermark F-16... so I thank you for giving me the bug after seeing your video of the F-16

I got 50 flights on that plane and sold it...
went on to the TJ A-4 , Comp ARF Spark... several 70 mm sapacs
and now full circle back to the F-16
but this time a TJ F-16 with full ducting.. I learned a lot from that cermark F-16

but anyway thanks!
I love these jets
Ron
Ha! I cannot be held responsible for anybody's addiction here!

I'm glad to watch the all of the new threads and am especially interested in that 1/8th Tam F-16 with the TJ120 - i've got a special soft spot in my heart for those F-16's

Joe - I am surprisingly impressed with this airframe - the only complaint I currently have (and it's really nit-picking) is that there are some very small pin-holes in some parts of the clearcoat. Fortunately they aren't visible from a foot away, so i'm not too worried about it. I always wanted a DS Hawk, but couldn't spend the cash on such an expensive airframe for it's size. It sure is sweet though!

Mike
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Yeah its nice and EXTREMELY light weight. But required a lot of building compared to yours, plus paint. Id say yours is the best bang for the buck for the quality and what you get. That new sapac 100mm hawk seems to be a great buy too! There was nothing inexpensive about mine....all the way down to the decals. Like I said I love mine, but hate that horizontal stabilizer mounting idea. Or I should say lack of a good idea.
What kind of struts are you gonna use? Shubeler makes some nice scale ones, but trust me they are pricey. This place makes some too that work well and are cheap. I own a few sets one of which was on my FLYFLY bae hawk. They arent super scale but are very functional. http://www.goldenskiesrc.com/Products_Landing_gear.html
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
I haven't decided on the struts yet. I acutally just got in a set of the ProEDF struts, but found they are a little small for this airframe. I have scoped out the ones from Goldenskies R/C too.

I'm hoping to maiden this before next week for the AZ Electric Festival, so unless I can come up with something really fast, it may fly on wire legs first
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Nothin wrong with that. Just pick a good set that you will be happy with. Money well spent when it comes to really good struts. You can always go with the behotec's fom here. http://www.altecarerc.com/
There very high quality and very cushy. I think they have grease in them as well. I have a few nose gears from them. You can check dreamworks rc too for the pro-link struts.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1,143 Posts
Thanks for the link - I forgot all about Dreamworks RC! Do you know of anyone who makes a trailing link type main gear strut that is only one sided?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Yeah behotec does. Its a pain figuring it out from that site, but they are there. I believe they are c-31/36 sized??
Yeah its the offset c-36's.