HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
Build Log
Dumas USS Crockett

Well this is a first for me to post in the Boat section of RCGroups. I'm an aviation guy mostly but I have browsed through the boat section (and submarine) and drooled over all the cool projects you guys have going on and the beautiful finished models you have sailing the lakes and ponds. Well, I finally broke down and got myself my first boat kit, the Dumas USS Crockett. I have lots of building experience so that wont be a problem, I'm only a little lost when it comes to figuring out what power systems to buy and how you would calculate what you need or want. I think I get how to install all the gear and I understand electrical systems, I fly lots of electric planes and helicopters so Amps and all that I understand, but I could use some links to great boat sites and/or advice on anything related to boats, cause I'm a newbie here.

Oh, so far I have the USS Crockett kit and the hardware kit from Dumas. I'm using a strait piece of particle board to build the hull on and I found a lot of helpful building tips from this site but again, I only bought what I need to construct the basics, the electronics I'm waiting on helpful advice from you guys first.

Eric
EricClark is online now Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,102 Posts
Welcome aboard Eric.

Peruse this... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457330 for starters.
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
Thanks. I've been browsing through web sites and pages and I've got my power system all figured out (thanks to MACK Products Model Marine) but I guess I still have one thing that I haven't been able to find information on, maybe I just missed it, but what size and type of batteries are generally run in boats? Scale boats in particular, I'm looking for torque and power not speed. I've seen sealed 12V (or 6V) lead batteries like the one's in automobiles, and older sites where they just talked about NiCd or Nimh but I take it that you just use one big battery thats non removable? How much run time to you get? What is the "standard" in the boat world, like Lipos are in the airplane world?

Eric
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:04 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,368 Posts
Hi Eric,

Just like you I started building boats and subs about a year ago being a long time in RC avaiation.

If you fly electric, battery is not a problem at all. Go and get the cheapest LiPo, 10C type with about 4000mAH would be more than adequate. Forget the SLA, it is no compare with LiPo.

Electrical performance is not the only good side of using LiPo. Being much lighter in weight, you can add lead sheets to ballast your boat, with the lowest CG down the hull. I am sure you are very conservant with our old friend, balancing the CG....

have you build any sub yet?
cmpang is offline Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
Thats sounds great and makes sense. Subs? Not YET! They are very cool too.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
Here is the basic formers and all just tacked in place with some CA. Barely stuck at all, just trying to get it all lined up.

Eric
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,755 Posts
Hi Eric, welcome to the wonderful world of boats. I had a Crockett some years ago. I used the straight Dumas drive system. Ran the 6 volt Dumas Pittmans on 7.2 volts. These motors drew about 2 amps stalled. You can safely use 15 amp ESC's no problem. I suggest dual throttles as this allows you to pirouette the boat. The boat is scale fast. Another suggestion is to lose the 50 cals from Dumas if they are still White metal and oversized. The model doesn't need the extra weight that high up. I substituted some twin 50's off a Lindberg PT.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,366 Posts
Eric,

Hi and welcome. I have been building boats for a while, but I am working on my first wooden boat now, a Jim Wilder http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128554

I hope you find the experience of building the boat from the keel up, as rewarding as I have. It really is amazing to look at a "bunch of sticks" in a box and then a few weeks later have something the resembles a hull and will float.

Looking forward to seeing this build. I am already thinking about what I may want to do next

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:49 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,835 Posts
Helo from don

HELLO all this is that old Rustbucket.
OK I have look over all of the coments that you all have given . There are all good. I have had a few those ships come though the shop but have never built one myself.
BUT have been around many of them. OK I had been building ships mostly scratch for a few years untill I had to finely stop. Some of you may all ready know me. so I say hi to ya .

OK ON Runing gear. Here is what I would do if it was me get a pair of the the dumous low rpm motors that or the pitmens. THEY are low rpm but with the right props they will work good. They are also good for torque. THEY will draw about 2 amps under a load. I use mostly the jell cell batterys.
They will last a long time and will work for ballas . Depending on what you pick up . I also use the Novak speed reversable speed controlls most the time.
I have use others in the pass but usely go back to Novak.
ALong with the futaba or now Speckrum radios set ups. Reason is?
I finely got tired of having to change christals all of the time . With the 2,4 Gb. That is all behind ya make life easer to live with.;-))

If I was going to build a Crocket that set up is what I would use. ONE thing about that ship as I had found out later they are kind of top heavy and very rolley THERE are ways to take care of that as well.
I know for I all most sunk one my self in sharp turn.
Other then that there neat ships. I had help a couple times a few years in a couple of builds that is when I learn about them. THE information is good that you get with the kit .

Well any way I thought I would give our new skipper another idea or another way to go.
YES I will agree what others has said and I check out that link that was sent to that is by Pat he has given some good information and links to look into IF I can help any more just ask . OK have fun and good luck . O ya one more thing take your time and think as you build. IT is a nice build and good looking ship
DON YOUR Portland Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:58 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,755 Posts
Gel cell batteries will give long run times but NiCAD, Nimh, or Lipos will sit lower in the hull. I ran a pair of NiCads side by side. With the old 1200 I got better than an hour with my driveline.The full scale Crockett rolled allot. At a show I had a sailor come up to me and tell me how when the Crockett was on Lake Michigan before she went to EPA he was on a cruise on her. A storm came up and he was climbing the ladder up the side of the superstructure. The ship rolled so far he was hanging out over the water. On the reverse roll he was laying on the ladder.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,758 Posts
Yup, just like the full size boat, the model will have a tendency to heel over in a turn, but just a look at the model's proportions should give you an idea---.

It has a big superstructure, and a narrow beam. Great looking boat, but touchy---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,827 Posts
partical board can flex and warp(by its own weight), think about adding some straight pieces of wood to the bottom of the board to stiffen things up a bit...looking great think about replacing some of the kits top side materials with lighter stuff(resin cast fiitings, sintra board)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:37 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone, thats why this site is so great! And yes, I plan on making sure the particle board is strait before I plank it.

Eric
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:16 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,128 Posts
My proposed electronic system is as follows: (feel free to comment)

The radio system will be a Specktrum DX3E (w/RX and servo) found here.

The ESC will be a MACK product #7300 found here.

The motors will be MACK 2041 motor/gearbox units found here.

The battery will be either one large lipo or two smaller ones for each motor but I will figure out what size when I get the rest of the equipment and run power tests to see what kind of amp draws I'll be looking at.

Eric
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,835 Posts
HELLO FRom DON

HELLLO If you dont mind can I make a few sudjustions? OR give you some ideas to think about .
OK on your radio set up I feel that is a good one to use.
I only use Speckrums radios anymore .
GOOD ONE TO look into.

ON THE Speed controll IT sounds good BUT !!! Call Mack tell them what your doing. NOW they use to be good in custermer service when I use to use there motors.
What concerns me?? is useing the lipos on what your saying They are a good way to go providing your looking into a lipo cut off so you dont damage the batterys.

ALSO see if that speed controll will handle it. Lipos are a different battery for sure. FOR We race electirc 1.10 Trucks in the dirt and we do use the lipos . BUT you have to treat them with repect.
This is why I know a little about the set ups. YES wer still learning about them .
I would advise calling Mack and talk to them as well as Speckrum to let them know on what your going to do .
THis way YOU should will be ok.
Lipos are good be but you have to use some
care when dealing with them.
Maybe call the Company that your going to use of there lipos and then again ask questions . I was allway the one to take the time to call Companys and talk to there service departments befor I Use something or was not sure .

BUT if you know all ready know about all of it I say have fun .
WHEN I use build and I still float off and on.
I would use the Jell cells on My reg fleet then use nickle nicade on my fast boats. Never did get into lipos for the boats but now that is the way to go but like I say look into it.

One note I still have my fleet and you can see it at model warships under the 2009 list under don rc . Look for USS THE Sullivans by Don RC>
I am at the bottom of that list just about whear the new year is shown. Some of the ships I still have some have gone to others..
I no longer build like I use to only once in a wile.

NOW remember all of this is only sudjustions only.
DON your Portland Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket