Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Slo-v?

I was wondering if someone with no experience could fly one of these. What if i bought a Simulator? Also if not could you recommend me a CHEAP beginner plane that needs very little experience if there is one. Thanks
atom4 is offline Find More Posts by atom4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
Yes, someone with no experience can learn to fly with a Slow-V. But I would advise you to consider getting the HobbyZone SuperCub, which is the best beginner plane that you can buy. Another great beginner plane is the Multiplex EasyStar. Buying a simulator will help with lerning the control functions and control reversal (when the plane is flying toward you, right is left and left is right). But a simulator is not essential, particularly if you plan to start with the SuperCub or the EasyStar.

If you are dead-set on the Slow-V, I suggest that you start right off with the optional 7-cell battery. With the standard 6-cell its very underpowered. Set the wing all the way forward to compensate for the extra weight and set the trasmitter to the high setting. The biggest drawback to the Slow-V is that it will not tolerate any wind at all.

Before your first flight, read and memorize the information presented by Ed Anderson:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Now go out and have some fun!!!
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
thanks
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
72 Posts
I'm also looking to pick up a slo-v. I've flown an easy star and a t-hawk, but need something slower to fly in the small park near my house. Looking forward to it.
ampsonic is offline Find More Posts by ampsonic
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
I started with a slo-v. Very easy to fly.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I also started with the Slo-V, and it's still one of my favorite planes. I take it every time I head to the school yard to fly.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
I taught myself on the Slo-V. I have since moved onto the Radian and T-28. Definitely invest in the upgraded battery. I have set my wing 2 notches back for that battery. To help the motor last longer, spray WD-40 or some other lube in the little hole in the motor prior to flight.

I still love my Slo-V. It is very peaceful during the day and is a ton of fun to fly at night with the night flight module (slow enough to make it possible to fly at night with piss poor lighting).

I have crashed it hard twice and only suffered some scrapes and a bent motor shaft. Most crashes were slow enough to not have it damage anything. Start on the low rates and switch them to high rates to do loops and fly inverted (sort of) when you get to that level.

It definitely doesn't handle wind very well, but once you get the hang of it, wind flying can prsent a whole new challenge to master. When it is completely calm (dusk or dawn near me) it is a dream to fly.

For $100 (plus 2 or 3 upgraded batteries) to get in the air, you can't beat it.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Cool I am going to go pick up my Slo-v tommorow Thanks again
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Slo-V is awesome, I learned so much with it. I plan to upgrade it to lipo power soon but still keep it somewhat slow, nothing crazy. I just want longer flight times and use my 2.4G transmitter.
BTW, FSone simulator which is fairly cheap has a Parkzone Slo-V that dead nuts accurate to the real thing (except the wings fall off in a straight down dive which doesn't happen in real life, this plane can take everything that brushed motor and gravity can throw at it).
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Jan 22, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:49 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I started on a slo-v and love it. I upgraded it to a brushless outrunner, 2.4ghz, eflite servos and a 11.1v lipo and the thing flys like a dream. Make sure you buy plenty of spare prop shafts, I think they are $2.29 each. I have bent very many learning to fly, and a small piece of wood dowel inside the fuselage right at the nose will help the carbon fiber stick last much longer. It's very easy to upgrade and very fun to fly.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
For those beginning with the slo-v or who are setting it up for the first flight, be sure to get the CG correct. Last I checked, it did not mention the CG in the manual. With a moveable wing, don't assume that the CG is going to be correct. For more info on how to check/set the CG on the Slo-v, check NoFlyZone's blog or PM him directly.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:26 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I started on a slo-v and love it. I upgraded it to a brushless outrunner, 2.4ghz, eflite servos and a 11.1v lipo and the thing flys like a dream. Make sure you buy plenty of spare prop shafts, I think they are $2.29 each. I have bent very many learning to fly, and a small piece of wood dowel inside the fuselage right at the nose will help the carbon fiber stick last much longer. It's very easy to upgrade and very fun to fly.
Can you give some more info on your upgrades? What motor? What size prop and batt? Thank you.
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old May 03, 2010, 12:30 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
What is a good material to use for bracing the weak tailwings of the Slo-V? I think I've seen thin metal strips, but not sure exactly what they're called.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2010, 10:06 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
You can glue or tape small bamboo skewers or carbon rod to the leading edge of the tail.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old May 03, 2010, 10:39 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Thank you for the response.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member